Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Agencies that post projects on Proz when you are on their books and they are happy with your work
Thread poster: Jon Berger
Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:46
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why do agencies have databases?? Feb 12, 2021

My point is, whey do agences have databases at all if they are just going to ignore them by posting every job on Proz?? Answers on a postcard please.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:17 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Because... Feb 12, 2021

Jon Berger wrote:
My point is, whey do agences have databases at all if they are just going to ignore them by posting every job on Proz?? Answers on a postcard please.

...such agencies are always looking for somebody cheaper or quicker, and they keep putting out job postings because that's an easy way to test the marketplace. But in the meantime, they want somebody on their books, just in case they need backup.

But I suspect this is a rhetorical question. You're a smart guy. You must know the score. You're probably just getting it off your chest - which is as good a reason as any to post.

Dan

Robert Forstag
Jorge Payan

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
That's the norm being pushed, and -above all- defended, before our eyes! Feb 12, 2021

Jon Berger wrote:
I have tried that many times. I simply can't get direct clients.

They're very possible to get. However, with ProZ's current methodology, they're almost impossible to retain.

Because, despite whatever excellent service with which you're providing them, once they hear from someone else that a site called ProZ gives the option to go rock-bottom on rates, they immediately drool over the idea.

Of course, once they realize they got some slum's backyard twig instead of Harry Potter's wand, they immediately try to get back to you, but -alas- after the bond has been broken beyond repair!
Jon Berger wrote:
It's like being a day labourer standing on a street corner at five in the morning waiting for a truck to come along and offer you work

That's exactly the strategy being employed. To have the pack of dogs fight over one bone each and every time; if we may call it so. So that the pack is kept in check at all times.
Jon Berger wrote:
Eventually, in my opinion, this behaviour by agencies will drive all the good people out of the profession

It already did, many have switched careers and several others are contemplating it. That's why translators might have noticed a recent surge in companies contacting them with requests for updating or registering accounts on their platforms. They are losing assets, but they're still too arrogant to objectively deal with the problem.

*** FYI, this is not an invitation for Dan, Sheila or anyone else to pull an endless thread of debate with me. It's my opinion I'm expressing like you expressed yours, if you don't like it just move on.

Jon Berger

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:46
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Backup Feb 12, 2021

They might need a backup. It might be as simple as that.

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Rates Feb 12, 2021

Are you sure that your rates are still in line with the market? It might be the problem. Agencies may ignore you because your rates saved in their databases are too high.

[Modifié le 2021-02-12 19:52 GMT]

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 12, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:13 GMT]

Rachel Waddington

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 12, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:13 GMT]

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Perhaps Feb 12, 2021

Jon Berger wrote:

David GAY wrote:

Are you sure that your rates are still in line with the market? It might be the problem. Agencies may ignore you because your rates saved in their databases are too high.

[Modifié le 2021-02-12 19:52 GMT]

If you knew how low my rates are, you would be shocked. They are very low. I am a trained lawyer, after all, with an MA in technical translation and twenty-five years of experience - and guess what? It doesn't count for anything. I earn more than the lady with a mop and bucket at my local railway station - but I don't think much more.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 19:57 GMT]

Perhaps the rates stored in their databases have not been updated. Perhaps you have lowered your rates without asking them to update your rates in their databases. One other thing is that lots of LSPs have transitioned to postediting. If you don't follow suit, you're out of the market.
Anyway you are right to refuse to proofread for peanuts.

[Modifié le 2021-02-12 20:03 GMT]

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 12, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:14 GMT]

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 12, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:14 GMT]

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
In this case Feb 12, 2021

[quote]Jon Berger wrote:

If you knew how low my rates are, you would be shocked.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 19:57 GMT]

In this case, I think you should mention your rates on your profile. It might be an asset.

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but in the process, they destroy the human capital they have built up. Feb 12, 2021

This is because the expertise of the people they currently have is not sustained. They may get cheaper or quicker but they are pitting all the translators against each other in a race to involvency and mental breakdown.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:15 GMT]

Marina Taffetani

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 12, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:16 GMT]

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Yes Feb 12, 2021

[quote]Jon Berger wrote:

whenever you do that, people want even cheaper - or else they use your rates to bargain someone else down to below your price. Believe me, I've seen it all.

[quote]

But I think it's better to show that your rates are competitive even though they are not the cheapest. Otherwise many agencies might discard you because they might think that your rates are too high.

Jon Berger
Jon Berger
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 12, 2021

[Edited at 2021-02-12 22:16 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies that post projects on Proz when you are on their books and they are happy with your work

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »