Mohamed Zidan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:46
Member (2017)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 19, 2021

Dear esteemed Proz members,
Does anyone have a clue about this Gracor Assessment score as during my humble 9+ years in the career I've never heard of it and now all of a sudden this company http://www.lazar.com/index.php/en/ is posting jobs, 17:19 Feb 2021, in various language pairs including mine, EngArb, requiring to have obtained it?

Also, the same company's only other job posting
... See more
Dear esteemed Proz members,
Does anyone have a clue about this Gracor Assessment score as during my humble 9+ years in the career I've never heard of it and now all of a sudden this company http://www.lazar.com/index.php/en/ is posting jobs, 17:19 Feb 2021, in various language pairs including mine, EngArb, requiring to have obtained it?

Also, the same company's only other job postings few days ago, 15:16 Feb 2021, is requiring to be ATLA certified! What is ATLA in the world of translation to be a requirement, knowing that it's not THE AMERICAN LITERARY TRANSLATORS ASSOCIATION?

Have I been living under a rock and these are well-known or is it something else, if you know what I mean?

Regards
M.Z
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Morano El-Kholy
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Susanna Oddi
DIANNE BEREST
Samara Serralheiro
Mine Özünlü

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:46
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Same here Feb 19, 2021

I wondered about these two job postings as well. I have been in business for more than 16 years and have never heard of these institutions/requirements.

This was an EN>DE job posting.

[Edited at 2021-02-19 07:53 GMT]

Adriana Sandru
Dalia Nour
Henrique Silva

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mohamed Feb 19, 2021

Mohamed Zidan wrote:
Does anyone have a clue about this Gracor Assessment score?

Could it be this one?
https://www.gracor.us/language-assessments

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
The same puzzle! Feb 19, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Could it be this one?

Yesterday, I have landed on this same website URL but could not reach beyond that!

I tried to search for any probable exam li
... See more
Samuel Murray wrote:

Could it be this one?

Yesterday, I have landed on this same website URL but could not reach beyond that!

I tried to search for any probable exam links or any international certifications but in vain...

I am really confused and perplexed!
Collapse

Samara Serralheiro
Dalia Nour
Leandro David Dolenc

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Why bother? Feb 19, 2021

I also saw the EN>DE posting, but since it screamed at me in capital letters not to respond if I did not have this thingy, I did not bother to investigate any further.

[Edited at 2021-02-19 09:14 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy
Adriana Sandru
IrinaN
Mine Özünlü
texjax DDS PhD
Desiree Davidse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@All Feb 19, 2021

Just out of curiosity, I’ve emailed them asking for information about the language assessments. I’ll keep you posted…

Susanna Oddi
Elena Feriani
Morano El-Kholy
Samara Serralheiro
Alessandra Sandrin
Eric Azevedo
Pilar Bellod

Mohamed Zidan
Mohamed Zidan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2017)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misleading marketing practices... Feb 19, 2021

@all
Hello back,
I think that the three entities are owned by the same person or group or whatever, and this is merely an attempt to market their courses or certification programs by trying to lure/fool us, translators, into thinking that it's something to seek to obtain like those of Certified Translation Professional (CTP) in couple of years ago tried to do!

So, a warning to all, it's just another company trying to cell courses and certificates from my humble point of
... See more
@all
Hello back,
I think that the three entities are owned by the same person or group or whatever, and this is merely an attempt to market their courses or certification programs by trying to lure/fool us, translators, into thinking that it's something to seek to obtain like those of Certified Translation Professional (CTP) in couple of years ago tried to do!

So, a warning to all, it's just another company trying to cell courses and certificates from my humble point of view.

Thanks for all your kind participations and point of views.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards
M.Z

https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/151340-has_anyone_heard_of_ctpcertified_translation_professional_program_by_global_translation_institute-page2.html

[Edited at 2021-02-19 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Faruk Atabeyli
Jane Rezende
Cecilia Rodrigues
Morano El-Kholy
Susanna Oddi
Alessandra Sandrin
Marina Taffetani

Faruk Atabeyli
Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
ALTA Certified Translators Feb 19, 2021

Last week the same company was recruiting "ALTA Certified Turkish Translators". Both ALTA and GRACOR are LSPs in US that provide certification as well. These may be attempts at getting certification business from translators, but they are deceptive.

Eric Azevedo

Alessandra Sandrin
Alessandra Sandrin
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same Feb 19, 2021

I had the same curiosity! This group is really helpful:) I will forward this discussion to management to undertake the appropriate measures against this company so we don't get fooled again with these "certifications".

Miranda Drew
S. Cihan Celik
Milena Simeonova
Andrea Rossi (X)

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
German to English
ALTA Feb 19, 2021

ALTA is an LSP that also does language proficiency testing
https://www.altalang.com/language-testing/
It is a reputable company headquartered in Atlanta Georgia USA. I used to do a lot of work for them, but the past few years I've usually been too busy to take many jobs from them.

Leandro David Dolenc

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Alta + Gracor Feb 19, 2021

It’s kind of a bizarre requirement to ask for a certification most of us haven’t a clue about who those people are. I have been translating full time since 1986 and I’ve never heard of them…

Cándida Artime Peñeñori

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@All Feb 19, 2021

Gracor has just answered my email: Certificates given are for general ILR translation proficiency tests. We would offer a translation test EnglishPortuguese. Translation tests are $ 120.00.

Elena Feriani
Morano El-Kholy

Junhui Park
Junhui Park  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Member (2005)
English to Korean
+ ...
I think they are trying to advertise that business. Feb 19, 2021

I guess they just made that business and are trying to advertise. When I get that score, they will say the job is already assigned. Nobody else would care about that score.

Cándida Artime Peñeñori
Eric Azevedo

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 07:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Crooks Feb 19, 2021

I looked the offer up after reading this forum.

They just don't want to spend any time, money or resources on choosing their vendors. Not only twisted but stupid minds. Like any certifications or diplomas can ensure quality by default... Must have some new genius for a manager, likely young and ambitious out-of-the-box thinker. More power to you, baby!

I wonder what they pay in return...
See more
I looked the offer up after reading this forum.

They just don't want to spend any time, money or resources on choosing their vendors. Not only twisted but stupid minds. Like any certifications or diplomas can ensure quality by default... Must have some new genius for a manager, likely young and ambitious out-of-the-box thinker. More power to you, baby!

I wonder what they pay in return and how many jobs are lined up for the successful candidates. Anyone who would seek those paid "certifications", utterly unknown to the professional world, deserves it.

Why bother? This offer belongs in a trash bin without much ado.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
Gracor Feb 19, 2021

Currently there is an agency in California that is trolling for Russian and Japanese jobs that requires the GRACOR. They also require a separate test, three written references, copies of your college diplomas (but not your first-born!). I am familiar with this agency. After you jump all the hurdles, they "offer" you five cents US a word.

IrinaN

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gracor Assessment score!!!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »