jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 12, 2020

For information sharing purpose, I'm starting this thread to invite all input about voice-over. I don't have a specific question right now about it but any opinions and comments will be welcomed. Thank you!

[Edited at 2020-08-12 18:51 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let me ask a specific question Aug 13, 2020

Do you consider dubbing a movie a type of voice over service?

Ana Talos

Ana Talos
Ana Talos
United States
Local time: 06:35
English to Romanian
+ ...
Hi Aug 13, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

I do voice over but mostly for myself. Dubbing is voice over. My experience has been that there’s not a lot of money in it.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply Aug 13, 2020

Ana Talos wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

I do voice over but mostly for myself. Dubbing is voice over. My experience has been that there’s not a lot of money in it.

Thank you for the information.

[Edited at 2020-08-13 08:57 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 17:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
I thought the two were different Aug 13, 2020

Dubbing is voice over

Dubbing replaces the original dialogues, whereas voice-overing keeps the original dialogues but adds additional ones. I once watched a movie in its original language but there were director's commentaries at the same time. So I would say that movie was not dubbed but voice-overed.

However, I do neither of these. I mi
... See more
Dubbing is voice over

Dubbing replaces the original dialogues, whereas voice-overing keeps the original dialogues but adds additional ones. I once watched a movie in its original language but there were director's commentaries at the same time. So I would say that movie was not dubbed but voice-overed.

However, I do neither of these. I might very well be mistaken.
Collapse

Paula Graf
Paula Graf  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:35
Member (2018)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Examples of voice-over jobs Aug 13, 2020

I have been offering voice-over services since 2004, reconciling with the activities of teacher, translator, producer and proofreader of content for social networks. I like to do voice-over a lot, because I can have a little fun in the studio, so it doesn't end up being as lonely and exhausting work on an intellectual level as a translator.
Some examples of voice-over jobs are:
eLearning, audiobooks, advertisements, video games, corporate videos, audio guides, GPS apps, voicemail gre
... See more
I have been offering voice-over services since 2004, reconciling with the activities of teacher, translator, producer and proofreader of content for social networks. I like to do voice-over a lot, because I can have a little fun in the studio, so it doesn't end up being as lonely and exhausting work on an intellectual level as a translator.
Some examples of voice-over jobs are:
eLearning, audiobooks, advertisements, video games, corporate videos, audio guides, GPS apps, voicemail greetings, trailers… and so much more!
When you have your own studio and you do everything by yourself, not having to pay studio hours or technicians, there are projects that are financially worthwhile.
Collapse

Villő Ujvári
Villő Ujvári
Hungary
Local time: 15:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Measuring worth Aug 13, 2020

Ana Talos wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

Glad to see a thread about voice-over.
I've been tempted to try doing voice-overs recently.

As for the money part: I think as freelancers, we have to be open about what kind of services we can provide our clients in addition to translation. It never hurts to explore new fields, even if there's not a lot of money in it.

In the end it all adds up. You are richer with experience and therefore more capable.

What interests me is the experience rather than the money I would make from trying voice-over.
As far as I know, it can increase your confidence greatly, which is necessary for all of us who are self-employed.

I do understand the necessity of money, however. Especially during covid times.

What do you guys think? Would you give it a try if you thought it would add something to your business other than money?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:35
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some considerations. Aug 13, 2020

Regarding the raised questions, here are some points:

Every dubbing is a voice over, but not every voice over is dubbing. Dubbing is voice acting, requires an actor experience. Acting helps in voice over too but it’s not always the essential skill.

True, if you record at home from a cheap $50 mic, there’s no money in it. On the other hand, if you have a professional studio and equipment, along with great voice skills, then the situation may be different as you can p
... See more
Regarding the raised questions, here are some points:

Every dubbing is a voice over, but not every voice over is dubbing. Dubbing is voice acting, requires an actor experience. Acting helps in voice over too but it’s not always the essential skill.

True, if you record at home from a cheap $50 mic, there’s no money in it. On the other hand, if you have a professional studio and equipment, along with great voice skills, then the situation may be different as you can provide professional production. For a start, professional grade microphones are $500 and up, but you’ll need much more than a mic.

[Edited at 2020-08-13 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Paula Graf
Katya Kesten

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice-over: What is it all about?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »