Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:26
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Aug 24, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I'm running Win7 64 bit. Recently, I'm stuck trying to update. Windows will download all present updates, the update process seems to run without problems. After the final restart, I'm always presented the same 9 updates again. Sometimes (but not always), the Windows Update windows shows an error message (8 updates succesful, 1 update failed, error code: 80246005). No idea which one did not work, anyway, Windows will always try to install the same 9 updates.
<
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm running Win7 64 bit. Recently, I'm stuck trying to update. Windows will download all present updates, the update process seems to run without problems. After the final restart, I'm always presented the same 9 updates again. Sometimes (but not always), the Windows Update windows shows an error message (8 updates succesful, 1 update failed, error code: 80246005). No idea which one did not work, anyway, Windows will always try to install the same 9 updates.

I've looked up the error code and found that I have to allow Windows to write to c:\windows\system32\catroot2. I have never changed any settings there before, but anyway, I've followed the steps described here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-code-80246005/94a9434b-948c-4183-986e-ddf062724ae7

This didn't make any difference.

I'm using Norton 360 Premier Edition. Disabling Antivirus and Firewall didn't make any difference either.

I'd be grateful for any hints in the right direction.

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Workaround Aug 24, 2012

Hi Erik,
I had the same problem. Installing each update individually did solve the problem for me (and for others). It will take its time, but it works.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - I'll try that. Aug 24, 2012

Dear Siegfried,

Thanks, that sounds good. I'm going to try this - gonna have some extra coffee breaks today

Kind regards,
Erik

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Finnish to French
KB2647753 is the faulty one Aug 24, 2012

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:
I had the same problem. Installing each update individually did solve the problem for me (and for others). It will take its time, but it works.

Actually, no need to install all of them one by one. All you need to do is install KB2647753 first, and all the remaining ones together, or the other way round.

See http://goo.gl/HOL9n (2nd reply from NicholasBarter) for more information. Worked for me and several other people I know.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Me too Aug 24, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

All you need to do is install KB2647753 first, and all the remaining ones together, or the other way round.

I Googled the error but didn't come across the link you mention, Dominique. I wish I had. I installed them one by one a few days ago and it felt as though it took the best part of a morning.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - thanks! Aug 27, 2012

Thanks everybody - problem solved!

Nick Hoyle
Nick Hoyle
Local time: 20:26
German to English
Related problem: Win 8/64: "Failure configuring Windows updates" Aug 30, 2013

Hi, I thought I'd add a post here because - after much searching and going down quite a few blind alleys - I've just found a solution to a related problem that may be affecting SDL Studio users in particular.

Symptom:
You try to install Windows update KB2855336 but the update gets stuck at 15% configured, then undoes the install. You then get the error message "Failure configuring Windows updates".

The culprit is Nalpeiron Licensing Service, which needs to run whe
... See more
Hi, I thought I'd add a post here because - after much searching and going down quite a few blind alleys - I've just found a solution to a related problem that may be affecting SDL Studio users in particular.

Symptom:
You try to install Windows update KB2855336 but the update gets stuck at 15% configured, then undoes the install. You then get the error message "Failure configuring Windows updates".

The culprit is Nalpeiron Licensing Service, which needs to run when you use SDL Studio.
Check http://www.updatemyservice.com/ for the official patch to this program.

I found I still needed to disable both Nalpeiron Control Service and Nalpeiron Licensing Service before installing the Windows update.
(Window button+R; type msconfig and enter; under Services tab, uncheck the two Nalpeiron components and accept.)

In fact instead of then taking the Windows update detected automatically by my system I went to Microsoft's website and downloaded KB2855336 from there.
Finally, it worked...

All I need do now is reactivate Nalpeiron!

Hope this helps anyone else who's been puzzling over this one.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Microsoft Fixit tools, the unknown helper Aug 31, 2013

efreitag wrote:

I've looked up the error code and found that I have to allow Windows to write to c:\windows\system32\catroot2.

This will not work if catroot2 is corrupted.

Google for "microsoft fixit". There are several Fixit tools, one of these repairs the update database.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Win 8 Sep 1, 2013

Thank you Nick Hoyle,

I wasted at least an hour or two trying to sort out that update problem. Disabling that Nalpeiron service (whatever it does) did the trick for me.

Regards,

Olly

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Thanks a lot! Feb 14, 2018

Nick Hoyle wrote:

The culprit is Nalpeiron Licensing Service, which needs to run when you use SDL Studio.

I 've been trying to fix this FOR AGES, in fact I haven't been able to download and install any updates for my Win7 in the last 2 years... but now magically it's all solved!
Thanks again Nick!
Best
G

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Win7/64 won't update - error 80246005

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »