Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to Speed Up a Slow Computer
Thread poster: ATIL KAYHAN
Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
Local time: 08:54
German to English
Portability vs. maintainability Jan 8, 2015

Unless you need the portability of a laptop, you might be better off with a desktop computer which is easier to maintain and expand. Provided technical expertise is on hand it is possible to keep a desktop going for more than ten years without much of a problem. It is worth doubling up on hard disk storage to guard against disk crashes, e.g. with a RAID system.

Eventually though, you run out of support for your software and new operating systems don't run very well or not at all on
... See more
Unless you need the portability of a laptop, you might be better off with a desktop computer which is easier to maintain and expand. Provided technical expertise is on hand it is possible to keep a desktop going for more than ten years without much of a problem. It is worth doubling up on hard disk storage to guard against disk crashes, e.g. with a RAID system.

Eventually though, you run out of support for your software and new operating systems don't run very well or not at all on ancient processors.
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:54
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Jan 9, 2015

I have done some of what you folks have suggested. The computer seems to be slightly better now. As far as reformatting the hard disk, I am not doing this at the moment because of the fact that Microsoft does not offer any support for Windows XP anymore. The original form of Windows XP might be more vulnerable to threats from the outside. Once the Service Pack 3 that I have is gone, it will be gone forever. Besides, there are programs that I might not recover because I do not have their CD'... See more
I have done some of what you folks have suggested. The computer seems to be slightly better now. As far as reformatting the hard disk, I am not doing this at the moment because of the fact that Microsoft does not offer any support for Windows XP anymore. The original form of Windows XP might be more vulnerable to threats from the outside. Once the Service Pack 3 that I have is gone, it will be gone forever. Besides, there are programs that I might not recover because I do not have their CD's anymore. Of course, backing up of the files in the computer is easy.

As far as buying a new computer altogether, I would like to buy a computer with an operating system in English rather than in Turkish. This is because I am used to English terms and commands rather then Turkish ones. I am not even sure if it is possible to buy English Windows in Turkey. This is my only MUST condition when I will buy a new computer. I will try to keep you posted on the topic. Thank you again.

[Edited at 2015-01-09 12:37 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
to Atil Jan 9, 2015

Atil, Microsoft doesn't offer support for XP, but the SP3 and post-SP3 hotfixes are still available from Windows Update. After reinstallation, Windows will still be able to find them all automatically.

As to English on a new computer, Windows 8 has a dynamically switchable user interface language. You should be able to switch Turkish Windows to English from the control panel.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Win XP SP3 is still available from Microsoft's web site Jan 9, 2015

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:
Microsoft does not offer any support for Windows XP anymore. The original form of Windows XP might be more vulnerable to threats from the outside. Once the Service Pack 3 that I have is gone, it will be gone forever.

What "Microsoft does not offer any support for Windows XP" means is simply that they no longer produce further updates for it. Previously existing updates (including Service Pack 3) are still available from various third-party download sites but also from Microsoft's own web site, here (320 MB).

Besides, there are programs that I might not recover because I do not have their CD's anymore.

That is very bad anyway, because your hard drive might crash at any time, and then you wouldn't be able to reinstall those programs either. Try to find those programs on the internet -- sometimes they are available from legal third-party download sites, and sometimes even from the product's own web site.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Speed Up a Slow Computer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »