Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:14
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Feb 17, 2016

I wonder if someone knows how to fix the following problem once and for all. I regularly receive pdfs from customers, but when I try to open them in Windows Explorer, there is no access to them. I can fix this by going to Attributes > Security and then give access to All.

But I would like not to have to do this every time I download a document. It should be sufficient for the anti virus program to check the document without it being locked.

Incidentally, Office document
... See more
I wonder if someone knows how to fix the following problem once and for all. I regularly receive pdfs from customers, but when I try to open them in Windows Explorer, there is no access to them. I can fix this by going to Attributes > Security and then give access to All.

But I would like not to have to do this every time I download a document. It should be sufficient for the anti virus program to check the document without it being locked.

Incidentally, Office documents can be opened, but with a warning that they are write protected, which is easily fixed.

By the way, I have noticed this behaviour (with pdf documents) since I tried upgrading to Windows 10 last autumn, and this behaviour made me decide to keep to Windows 8.1.
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Protected mode by default Feb 17, 2016

Roy Oestensen a écrit :

I regularly receive pdfs from customers, but when I try to open them in Windows Explorer, there is no access to them.

Not sure to understand what do you mean with opening PDFs in Windows Explorer, never mind, but you have to know that "foreign" documents are restricted by default in Win 10. For good security reasons.

But you can customize the way you import documents (here Windows 10) :

http://www.screencast.com/t/x9IssOfSI0

I'm quite sure that your antivirus has nothing to do with such restrictions and that's a pity to downgrade to Win 8...

Good luck!

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was referring to double clicking a document in the Explorer. Feb 17, 2016

Usually when you double click a document, it is opened in the assigned software, for instance Adobe Acrobat. But when I download for instance a pdf from my e-mail, I get the warning that it is not possible to open it. (Office documents I can open, but not edit, but that's fine with me.)

When I choose Attributes (sorry, I am translating from Norwegian) > Security, I get the following warning:

"No groups or users have permission to access this object. The owner of the ob
... See more
Usually when you double click a document, it is opened in the assigned software, for instance Adobe Acrobat. But when I download for instance a pdf from my e-mail, I get the warning that it is not possible to open it. (Office documents I can open, but not edit, but that's fine with me.)

When I choose Attributes (sorry, I am translating from Norwegian) > Security, I get the following warning:

"No groups or users have permission to access this object. The owner of the object can, however, assign permissions."

Of course, no problem changing the permissions for the document to All users, but it is awkward to do it each and every time I want to open a document.

I am using Windows 8.1, so the suggested fix doesn't seem to be the way to solve it in my case.
Collapse

gravi8729
gravi8729
India
Local time: 20:44
Acrobat Reader Jun 29, 2016

First of all we have to check our Acrobat Reader, weather it is updated or not. Is it installed or not?

We have to update or install again the updated version of Acrobat Reader.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Access permissions in Windows Jun 30, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:

When I choose Attributes (sorry, I am translating from Norwegian) > Security

AFAIK, an English Windows says "Properties".

On the Security tab you can see which user has Read permission for that file. Which user is stated there and which user uses Gmail?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No access to pdf documents downloaded from Gmail

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »