Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't sound good Apr 1, 2016

englishpartner wrote:

After weeks of battling the pesky pop-up encouraging me to upgrade to Windows 10 (on a Win 7 laptop), I gave in and went ahead with it. It worked beautifully for several hours, and I was impressed by the fact my machine seemed to run faster. And then it didn't run at all: an automatic update was installed and the process attempted to restart my computer but no such luck. It froze, and all of my ensuing 14 attempts at restarting it ended the same way - the computer froze in various stages of the startup process.

I ended up having to take it to my IT guy, who uninstalled Win 10 and restored Win 7. He also disabled those hideous upgrade reminders and told me that I wasn't the first one to come in with this problem. He said no matter what Microsoft claims, lots of people have compatibility problems on older machines, that is, those made prior to Win 10. He did recommend it for new computers, but ultimately said if your computer was made to run Win 7 chances are you will be better off sticking with that instead of upgrading.

I'm now happily running Win 7 again without issues and thinking about the day I may splurge on a Mac.

Are there more amongst you who have had this problem? Or maybe I should turn this question around: "Are there people who upgraded their W7 to W10, and have no problems?"

Upgrading W10 from a W8.1 computer works perfectly. No problems.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:16
Danish to English
+ ...
Problems Apr 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Are there more amongst you who have had this problem?

Upgrading W10 from a W8.1 computer works perfectly. No problems.

As I may have described earlier, my daughter's W10 suddenly lost its networking capability some months after upgrading from W8.1. Microsoft chat support appeared to be just as confused as I was, and during the hour the chat lasted, W10 somehow ended up getting its networking back without my understanding exactly what had happened.

Judging from the tens of thousands of times the corresponding Microsoft article has been read, this affects a large number of users.

Other annoying problems I’ve run into with W10 are:

- Disappearing scrollbars (start menu – makes it more difficult to keep scrolling).
- Remote Assistance hidden far away (worked like a charm in W7).
- Auto-hide task bar doesn’t work (one may need to restart explorer.exe).
- The W10 installation procedure converted all my daughter’s personal files and folders to read-only so she was told she wasn’t authorised to save anything in her own folders or change her own files. It was while trying to sort that out (she was travelling) that I ran into the problem that Remote Assistance had been hidden away so much that we couldn’t make it work, so she had to wait until she was back to get the read-only problem fixed.

Admittedly, some of these are not major problems, but they are still annoying and time-wasting and have only ‘cost’ perhaps €100-€150 in wasted time.

Other users have reported that W10 uninstalls certain software deemed incompatible with W10 without informing or asking the user.

As I don’t see what I would achieve by upgrading my own PC from W7 to W10, I’ll leave it on W7. Better the devil you know. I don’t have the slightest interest in the app toys they’ve added to W8 and W10. If I buy a smartphone, it won’t be with Windows, in any case, so why would I need or want their apps on my desktop?

I’m increasingly leaning toward trying a Mac when I’ll soon need a more powerful computer, as my Samsung from 2011 is running out of steam, and I'm fed up with Windows and Microsoft. As I see it, Microsoft is slowly killing off Windows and PCs the way things have been going since they launched W8, so one may just as well jump ship in time.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
Not too costly Apr 1, 2016

@Tom
Luckily, my IT guy was very nice about the whole thing and even after having to purchase an external Blu-Ray device to replace the non-functioning internal one, I'm out less than €60. However, I did have nearly 2 days of downtime. My sister and brother-in-law have had a Mac for years and swear by it, and they have tried to bring me over to the 'dark side' on numerous occasions so I imagine once I lay this laptop to rest...

@Robert
I don't personally know of anyone
... See more
@Tom
Luckily, my IT guy was very nice about the whole thing and even after having to purchase an external Blu-Ray device to replace the non-functioning internal one, I'm out less than €60. However, I did have nearly 2 days of downtime. My sister and brother-in-law have had a Mac for years and swear by it, and they have tried to bring me over to the 'dark side' on numerous occasions so I imagine once I lay this laptop to rest...

@Robert
I don't personally know of anyone who had these issues, but the IT guy said there had been more than a few (in my small town of less than 25,000).

@Thomas
It does appear that the transition from 8 or 8.1 is a more seamless one than from 7.
Ah, yes! Files magically disappeared: I lost my scanner drivers, had to reinstall Acrobat Reader and had to re-enter my key for TO3000.

In any event, I'm staying with 7 until it's time for a new machine.
Roni
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We are forgetting one thing..... Apr 1, 2016

..... namely the fact that when you buy a new PC, it comes with W10, whether you like it or not.

I remember the discussions about the change from Trados 7 to Studio 2009 (and later to 2011, 2014 and 2015, and many others), the same storm of criticism as with W10. Actually, whenever there is something new, it seems that "we" condemn it right away, for all kinds reasons.

Understand me right, I am absolutely not promoting W10, but it is the "new reality", but (look above)
... See more
..... namely the fact that when you buy a new PC, it comes with W10, whether you like it or not.

I remember the discussions about the change from Trados 7 to Studio 2009 (and later to 2011, 2014 and 2015, and many others), the same storm of criticism as with W10. Actually, whenever there is something new, it seems that "we" condemn it right away, for all kinds reasons.

Understand me right, I am absolutely not promoting W10, but it is the "new reality", but (look above) it looks to me that we translators in majority are a bunch of very conservative people, we just don't accept anything new (my sincere apologies for the colleagues who don't recognize themselves in this description).

[Edited at 2016-04-01 22:46 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Disagree completely Apr 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

You can buy Windows 7 Pro and install that instead. That's what I intend to do if I buy another PC. You just need to be sure there is no software/hardware conflict. In some countries (France for example), you have a legal right to demand to buy the bare iron and not pay for the pre-installed operating system (which will then be removed).

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Actually, whenever there is something new, it seems that "we" condemn it right away, for all kind reasons.

we translators in majority are a bunch of very conservative people, we just don't accept anything new (my sincere apologies for the colleagues who don't recognize themselves in this description).

There may be some people who match your description, but I don't think it's a very good generalisation. Windows 7 was a great improvement over XP and Vista, and I was only pleased with it when I started to use it. Same about XP compared with the previous versions.

What I resent is when they remove useful functions or make them worse. Their focus has been on running after the smartphone market, but that train has already departed.

As for W8, W8.1 and W10, I have some very specific complaints over and above the fact that it brings no functional improvements over W7 for desktop users, except faster boot. I really wanted to upgrade to W10 from W7 and had reserved a 'slot' but ended up dumping it after I had seen the upgrade of my daughter's W8.1 system to W10. Their repeated harassment of users to try to force them to upgrade only made me more determined to avoid it.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

W10, but it is the "new reality"

No, one can stay on W7 or move to Mac. There is still hope that Microsoft's new CEO will end up understanding that many Windows users need a well-functioning desktop and don't want toy apps, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:16
English to Latvian
Not true Apr 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Hardly so. As has been the case with each new version of Windows, there are many retailers who continue to sell computers with Windows 7 or 8.1 preinstalled. In fact, next week I will pick up a new Win 7 laptop from a local online retailer, and it is by no means an outdated one - in fact, it would have been affected if MS had not backtracked in the face of the recent Skylake controversy, when they were threatening to drop Win 7 and Win 8.1 support for new CPUs (see more: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/skylake-support-on-windows-7-and-8-1-given-a-one-year-extension/ ). Of course, there is also the completely legal option of buying a computer with Linux or no OS preinstalled and install an OEM version of Win 7 or 8.1. And in the case of desktop computers, I have always ordered a custom built computer, where every single component, including the OS, is handpicked by me.

[Edited at 2016-04-01 21:11 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate post.
Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Going with the flow Apr 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Those who play at bowls must look out for rubbers

"If you decide to just go with the flow, you'll end up where the flow goes, which is usually downhill, often leading to a big pile of sludge"

― Sean Covey, The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested editions not made.
Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also not entirely true Apr 1, 2016

Viesturs Lacis wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Hardly so. As has been the case with each new version of Windows, there are many retailers who continue to sell computers with Windows 7 or 8.1 preinstalled. In fact, next week I will pick up a new Win 7 laptop from a local online retailer, and it is by no means an outdated one - in fact, it would have been affected if MS had not backtracked in the face of the recent Skylake controversy, when they were threatening to drop Win 7 and Win 8.1 support for new CPUs (see more: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/skylake-support-on-windows-7-and-8-1-given-a-one-year-extension/ ). Of course, there is also the completely legal option of buying a computer with Linux or no OS preinstalled and install an OEM version of Win 7 or 8.1. And in the case of desktop computers, I have always ordered a custom built computer, where every single component, including the OS, is handpicked by me.

[Edited at 2016-04-01 21:11 GMT]

When I bought my laptop, about 2 years ago, all came with W8.1. I shopped around, and yes, I could buy a computer with W7, only or already used, or new with an extra fee of 150 Euros. By the way, I live in Amsterdam, so not some small village, and I did my research.

Now you can buy W7 for just 30 Euros (if I have to believe the advertisements), because it becomes obsolete.

[Edited at 2016-04-01 22:29 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:16
English to Latvian
OK Apr 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

When I bought my laptop, about 2 years ago, all came with W8.1. I shopped around, and yes, I could buy a computer with W7, only or already used, or new with an extra fee of 150 Euros. By the way, I live in Amsterdam, so not some small village, and I did my research.

Now you can buy W7 for just 30 Euros (if I have to believe the advertisements), because it becomes obsolete.

[Edited at 2016-04-01 22:29 GMT]

If this is the case, then my guess is that the Dutch sellers have different distribution deals in place, which require them to phase out obsolete versions more aggressively. Over here, the 7, 8.1 and 10 OEM versions sell for roughly the same price, and, curiously enough, Win 7 seems to have a tendency to increase in price rather than become dirt cheap. I just checked the invoice for my desktop PC (custom built in 2014) to be sure - the price of an OEM license for Win 7 Pro was EUR 130 at the time, yet the same retailer now sells it for EUR 160. Just a few weeks ago I spotted a lonely unopened Win 7 Home Premium box in the lowest shelf of an IT shop, and even that was listed for close to EUR 100. Over here, the only way to get a Win 7 license for EUR 30 would be to bravely venture to one of those shady online sites that are made up of a table of prices and a Paypal button. No legitimate seller sells these licenses for such prices. Apparently Latvians still consider them every bit as usable in assembling and selling new computers.

As to why I have made a point to stick with Win 7 - it is conservativism in the sense that I, even as a "power user", prefer an underlying stability in my computing environment. To me, Win 7 is a known quantity, while 8/8.1, not to mention 10, represent a paradigm shift that seems to be less in tune with my ideas of what a computer is for, to what degree should I have control over it etc. There is precious little in the "new and improved features" part of Win 10 that really appeal to me and make me wish to migrate to it (or even apply to my situation), while there are plenty of things that I consider to be negatives - e.g. forced updates, ugly and uninspiring GUI (I openly admit I have never been impressed by the minimalist 'flat design' that seems to be all the rage these days), incompatibility with some of my fairly old yet still perfectly working peripherals, not to mention the off-putting and at times underhanded way MS have tried to "force" Win users to adopt the 10. As it stands now, barring a hardware failure or any other major disaster, I am completely ready to not abandon Win 7 any earlier than 2020 when its support ends. Who knows how the whole field will look by then.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Beware: No support for Win 7 & 8 if your PC is a modern one Apr 3, 2016

Viesturs Lacis wrote:

As has been the case with each new version of Windows, there are many retailers who continue to sell computers with Windows 7 or 8.1 preinstalled.

Of course that's true.

BUT just go to https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/
and look there for "Support Policy Updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Customers". Simply put: In order to receive support for Win 7 or 8 you need a PC with an "outdated" processor ...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »