Compatible Win 7 or 8 PCs wil get forced update to Win 10
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
anti-piracy gone bad and wild? May 29, 2016

It seems that in pursuit of the end-clients recent MS hard-sell policy acts as if malware (Trojan) , which (among many other unpleasant ideas and aspects) makes preventive measures and solutions but temporary, for another 'update' could disable or re-enable this or that feature to make what they want.

I just reverted my Lenovo back to pre-installed W7, updated till 'the best once in a life-time offer' appeared, and ran Never10, had some 6GB secretly deleted and--viola!--it works for
... See more
It seems that in pursuit of the end-clients recent MS hard-sell policy acts as if malware (Trojan) , which (among many other unpleasant ideas and aspects) makes preventive measures and solutions but temporary, for another 'update' could disable or re-enable this or that feature to make what they want.

I just reverted my Lenovo back to pre-installed W7, updated till 'the best once in a life-time offer' appeared, and ran Never10, had some 6GB secretly deleted and--viola!--it works for now without nagging and annoying.

Hopefully, they'll keep the tool updated)
TY
Collapse

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I quite like Windows 10 May 29, 2016

I loved windows 7 and hated windows 8. Windows 10 is a nice upgrade from windows 7 in my opinion. Plus it's free. Yes it's annoying that MS force it on you, but then again, all software developers do the same. I'm sure legacy versions of SDL Trados Studio, memoQ etc will stop (have already stopped) being supported at some point and you will be forced to upgrade.

Fi2 n Co wrote:
The main downside is if you are worried about privacy and telemetry.

What is that about? That sounds a bit worrying.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 10 is quite good May 29, 2016

I agree, Windows 10 is quite good and rather fast if your machine can handle it.
It is also well designed if you are using a hybrid PC

[/quote]What is that about? That sounds a bit worrying. [/quote]
There is a lot of controversy on the privacy subject. It is a hot topic and getting a balanced view can be difficult.
Specific visible sttings are explained in
... See more
I agree, Windows 10 is quite good and rather fast if your machine can handle it.
It is also well designed if you are using a hybrid PC

[/quote]What is that about? That sounds a bit worrying. [/quote]
There is a lot of controversy on the privacy subject. It is a hot topic and getting a balanced view can be difficult.
Specific visible sttings are explained in a rather balanced manner here http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

Privacy settings are important to be used with some apps (like with other systems like Android, Chrome...) so it is general to many tools. The amount of data sharing has increased though in Windows 10 compared with previous versions.

Turning on or off these settings is a personal decision with pros and cons (using apps and features VS privacy + processor time).

Should anyone decide to leave these on and they don't have to do anything.
Should anyone decide to turn these off and you need to check what settings the app you want to use require and after each system update you will need to go back to these settings, since updates revert "off" settings back to "on".

So no need to panic but some thinking, information and planning will help. Hence the heads up to this coming update.

My bests
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you May 29, 2016

I really appreciate this information. If the Microsoft icon should appear again at the bottom of my screen, I'll know what to do.

I too, will consider Windows 10 but only if and when I buy a new computer. My current computer is about 5 years old. I'm glad it's still working well and I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
A useful article May 29, 2016

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remove-unwanted-windows-10-upgrade-files-from-windows-7-and-windows-8-x/

This article explains how to hide three updates that keep trying to get Windows 10 installed.

But although I've hidden them a few times, Microsoft keeps unhiding them by making slight changes in them, so on
... See more
http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remove-unwanted-windows-10-upgrade-files-from-windows-7-and-windows-8-x/

This article explains how to hide three updates that keep trying to get Windows 10 installed.

But although I've hidden them a few times, Microsoft keeps unhiding them by making slight changes in them, so one has to be careful to check for them every time new updates are presented.

Doing this will not touch the Registry entries that Never10 switches, so I would suggest using both methods.

At least we got rid of Windows 8.1 on one PC, but I see no reason to upgrade the Windows 7 systems.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Never10 is one option, but GWX Control Panel is better May 29, 2016

Fi2 n Co wrote:
If you do not want it to happen, you can check utilities as Never10...

Never10 is okay, but it's not as comprehensive as GWX Control Panel. For example, with Never10, the upgrade icon remains in the system tray, but GWX Control Panel has the option to remove it.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Icon May 29, 2016

If you remove and hide the updates I mentioned, the upgrade icon goes away.

But nothing wrong with GWX. Just another way to do it.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes May 29, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Never10 is okay, but it's not as comprehensive as GWX Control Panel. For example, with Never10, the upgrade icon remains in the system tray, but GWX Control Panel has the option to remove it.

Indeed.
As long as users know what they are doing.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wrong.. May 29, 2016

Fi2 n Co wrote:

As all translators use CAT tools

I don't.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry I didn't think of you, too late to edit now :( May 30, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Fi2 n Co wrote:

As all translators use CAT tools

I don't.

Sure, I should have said "most", however it's too late to edit the first post, sorry. Since you answered here can I assume you use a computer? The main purpose of this thread was to give heads up to computer users that are translators to help them deal with the coming Win 10 upgrade.

By the way, since some mentioned the GWX control panel, information can be found about it on line and researching it on Youtube. But be sure to know what you are doing since it offers a lot more control options.

My bests

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thankfully... May 30, 2016

Fi2 n Co wrote:

Since you answered here can I assume you use a computer?

That's a reasonable assumption, but your assumption that I use Windows is not.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question of choice May 30, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Fi2 n Co wrote:

Since you answered here can I assume you use a computer?

That's a reasonable assumption, but your assumption that I use Windows is not.

Indeed using a particular OS is personal choice, many use Linux, OS X or even Android (often for web-based tools) to care for their needs. I didn't have you framed in any.

As this thread is intended to those who use Windows on at least one of their machines and according to the moderator, staying on topic could be useful to those wanting to read the thread entirely.

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pop-up dialog "OK" and "X"/ The Inquirer? May 30, 2016

Hi,

A few more informations regarding the pop-up dialog from the tray.
According to this article and others, cliquing the "OK" box or the "X" (close???) box will have the same resul
... See more
Hi,

A few more informations regarding the pop-up dialog from the tray.
According to this article and others, cliquing the "OK" box or the "X" (close???) box will have the same result. http://www.computerworld.com/article/3074548/microsoft-windows/microsoft-has-been-conning-windows-users-for-two-months.html

One thing we didn't do was to refer to Microsoft's side of the story, I read they have explained this in an article in The Inquirer, but I wasn't able to find it, is it online, has anybody read it? How do they explain it?

My best to all
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 10 VS hardware Jun 9, 2016

Hello to all,

I noticed something today that could be interesting for those following this topic:

I saw running (and briefly used) an old desktop PC (Over 7 years old) running Windows 10 after it was upgraded from 10 to 7.

The PC ran on a Dual core processor (Intel Core 2 duo I think), 2GB RAM and on an SSD drive (THIS IS IMPORTANT).

This PC shipped originally with XP, and was upgraded to Win 7. It then started to handle so slow, you could bare
... See more
Hello to all,

I noticed something today that could be interesting for those following this topic:

I saw running (and briefly used) an old desktop PC (Over 7 years old) running Windows 10 after it was upgraded from 10 to 7.

The PC ran on a Dual core processor (Intel Core 2 duo I think), 2GB RAM and on an SSD drive (THIS IS IMPORTANT).

This PC shipped originally with XP, and was upgraded to Win 7. It then started to handle so slow, you could barely use it. The owner decided to upgrade the HDD to and SSD drive, this improved perfomance a lot. Now, the machine is running Windows 10 and works well and reasonably fast, MS Word opens fast enough etc.

So judging by the history (old) of this machine, I saw Windows 10 running fast on a Dual Core PC with 2 GB of RAM, especially because of the SSD drive.

In some cases, upgrading the drive (60 EUR) could do the trick to handle win 10 (requires less ram than win 7 and 8) for those who want and know how to change a system drive.

Hope this helps someone

My bests to all.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatible Win 7 or 8 PCs wil get forced update to Win 10

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »