Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2016

Hello,

I'm afraid I understand very little of what happens behind the scenes of my computer. Last night a Windows 10 "display settings" update messed up things totally and I can't find out how to fix it. My monitor now shows a screen with enormous icons, enormous text, enormous everything. But of course not everything fits. In some cases, things like "submit" buttons, if they're way over to the right, simply aren't available to me at all. I clearly can't work like this, even apart f
... See more
Hello,

I'm afraid I understand very little of what happens behind the scenes of my computer. Last night a Windows 10 "display settings" update messed up things totally and I can't find out how to fix it. My monitor now shows a screen with enormous icons, enormous text, enormous everything. But of course not everything fits. In some cases, things like "submit" buttons, if they're way over to the right, simply aren't available to me at all. I clearly can't work like this, even apart from the eye strain it's causing.

Can anyone help, in plain English? The update did point to a Settings screen, but all I can do is increase the size of everything! I certainly don't want to do that!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:04
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sheila Dec 18, 2016

Please check if you are able to right-click somewhere at the screen and choose Graphic options - Resolution (or something like that (I have a Polish OS).

Natalia

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ever so much for responding so quickly Dec 18, 2016

Right-clicking varies depending on where I am. Within my browser (Firefox), it brings up different options from when I'm in Word, for example. But neither of them has anything like graphics resolution.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
"At the screen" means "at the desktop" Dec 18, 2016

Not in any application - just at the desktop, when all applications are closed.

If you need to adjust your screen settings, you need to do this in your operation system, NOT in any application.

[Edited at 2016-12-18 11:50 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Safe mode ? Dec 18, 2016

Hi Sheila,

What you describe seems to be a "safe mode" boot. Have a look here and try one of the solutions :

http://www.isumsoft.com/it/get-windows-10-computer-out-of-safe-mode/

Hope this Helps!

Kind regards

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both!!! Dec 18, 2016

You can see how much I don't understand, Natalie. When I eventually tried right-clicking on the desktop screen, it just hung for hours.

Adrien, that link gave me some ideas about maybe not having proper drivers installed (not that I'd uninstalled any!), although I wasn't in safe mode. So I followed that through to where Microsoft showed me how to check the current ones. That gave me a screen that said my Nvidia driver
... See more
You can see how much I don't understand, Natalie. When I eventually tried right-clicking on the desktop screen, it just hung for hours.

Adrien, that link gave me some ideas about maybe not having proper drivers installed (not that I'd uninstalled any!), although I wasn't in safe mode. So I followed that through to where Microsoft showed me how to check the current ones. That gave me a screen that said my Nvidia driver wasn't working but could be fixed by restarting my computer from there. And that worked, after a long and anxious wait for it to restart properly.

So, I'm back in business within an hour or so, thanks to the ProZ.com community. I really am ever so grateful for your help. It's tremendous to know there are people out there who'll help even though I can't find anyone physically near me that I can communicate my problems to reliably.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Screen, monitor, etc. Dec 19, 2016

Hi, Sheila,

I'm painfully familiar with your predicament. Happened to me on occasion more than a decade ago. As Natalie pointed out, you want to a) right-click on the desktop, (close your applications, browser, etc.) or go to Control Panel, search Display>Screen Resolution.

If you have a 19- or 20-inch monitor, your native screen resolution should be more than enough to resolve the 'big everything' problem.

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar (yet) with Windows 1
... See more
Hi, Sheila,

I'm painfully familiar with your predicament. Happened to me on occasion more than a decade ago. As Natalie pointed out, you want to a) right-click on the desktop, (close your applications, browser, etc.) or go to Control Panel, search Display>Screen Resolution.

If you have a 19- or 20-inch monitor, your native screen resolution should be more than enough to resolve the 'big everything' problem.

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar (yet) with Windows 10. I'm still running Windows 7 (64-bit) operating systems in all my computers.
Collapse

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Similar Experience Dec 21, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Hello,

I'm afraid I understand very little of what happens behind the scenes of my computer. Last night a Windows 10 "display settings" update messed up things totally and I can't find out how to fix it. My monitor now shows a screen with enormous icons, enormous text, enormous everything. But of course not everything fits. In some cases, things like "submit" buttons, if they're way over to the right, simply aren't available to me at all. I clearly can't work like this, even apart from the eye strain it's causing.

Can anyone help, in plain English? The update did point to a Settings screen, but all I can do is increase the size of everything! I certainly don't want to do that!

Hi Sheila,

I found myself in a similar situation with an automatic Windows 10 upgrade on my MacBookPro laptop. I run Parallels on both my iMac Desktop and MacBookPro. After the automatic Windows10 took place, I lost my memoQ files and some other information. That was very frustrating. I would suggest you disable the automatic upgrade in Windows 10. On my regular PC computers: my Samsung laptop, a Samsung Chromebook and a Gateway netbook, I already had the automatic Windows upgrades disabled. But I had forgotten to do so with my Mac laptop.
Hope that helps.
Cheers.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Security concerns? Dec 21, 2016

MultiPro wrote:
I would suggest you disable the automatic upgrade in Windows 10.

I once - many moons ago - had things set up that way (not my idea - I was sharing the computer) and there were problems as a result when things got out of date and incompatibilities set in. I suspect that nowadays it would be highly dangerous for me. Viruses love people that don't react super-fast to the hackers' new code, so I think I need to keep my OS bang up to date. I don't doubt that controlling these things yourself is the best way to go, but I'm equally sure it would be best if I wasn't the one doing the controlling in this case. Whatever ways Microsoft can find to get computers in a tangle, I can find lots more .

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Windows 10 updates are mandatory but may be delayed in Pro version Dec 22, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

MultiPro wrote:

I once - many moons ago - had things set up that way (not my idea - I was sharing the computer) and there were problems as a result when things got out of date and incompatibilities set in. I suspect that nowadays it would be highly dangerous for me. Viruses love people that don't react super-fast to the hackers' new code, so I think I need to keep my OS bang up to date. I don't doubt that controlling these things yourself is the best way to go, but I'm equally sure it would be best if I wasn't the one doing the controlling in this case. Whatever ways Microsoft can find to get computers in a tangle, I can find lots more .

If I understand it correctly, in Windows 10 there is no longer a way to permanently disable updates, the system does it automatically whether you like it or not. But, if you have the Pro version, you can choose that updates are delayed (can't remember for how long). That way, any glitches will most likely have been caught before you do the upgrade. I have recently had problems caused by updates in my parent's laptop (Home version) but not in mine (Pro version, touching wood!).

alliey
alliey
United States
Set network as metered Feb 13, 2017

Ana Cuesta wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

MultiPro wrote:

If I understand it correctly, in Windows 10 there is no longer a way to permanently disable updates, the system does it automatically whether you like it or not. But, if you have the Pro version, you can choose that updates are delayed (can't remember for how long). That way, any glitches will most likely have been caught before you do the upgrade. I have recently had problems caused by updates in my parent's laptop (Home version) but not in mine (Pro version, touching wood!).

You can set your network connection as metered, that should stop automatic updates:
http://www.top-password.com/blog/set-ethernet-wifi-connection-as-metered-in-windows-10/

I applied this setting on my Windows 10 system about one week ago, and found that Windows 10 doesn't automatically download the updates any more.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
W10 - a spruce goose Feb 16, 2017

Windows 10 has been mostly a big disappointment to me. I've had compatibility problems with it from the word go. For example, if I want to work with Wordfast and Excel or PowerPoint files, I have to do it on older computers with W7 and earlier versions of MS Office.
And I really don't understand the need for the automatic updating thingy. I got my technical guy to put the hems on that ASAP, as it would suddenly start updating at the most inconvenient of times, for example in the middle of
... See more
Windows 10 has been mostly a big disappointment to me. I've had compatibility problems with it from the word go. For example, if I want to work with Wordfast and Excel or PowerPoint files, I have to do it on older computers with W7 and earlier versions of MS Office.
And I really don't understand the need for the automatic updating thingy. I got my technical guy to put the hems on that ASAP, as it would suddenly start updating at the most inconvenient of times, for example in the middle of a job, and sometimes took rather a long time, about 15 to 20 minutes, which was really infuriating when on a deadline.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with Windows 10 update that has messed everything up

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »