Urgent- Where do I find Wordfast Aligner in Wordfast Pro?
Thread poster: Richard Sanders
Richard Sanders
Richard Sanders  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2011

Where do I find Wordfast Aligner in Wordfast Pro?
I need to make a TM out of a large source document and my equally large target document. Wordfast on line help gives instructions for doing this using Wordfast Aligner, which they say is an "add-on"- Where can this add on be found and once found how is it installed?

Thanks,
Rick Sanders

Alexey Oparin
Alexey Oparin
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:30
English to Russian
Start > All Programs > Wordfast > Wordfast Aligner Oct 16, 2011

Perhaps your collapsable menu collapsed. Expand it - Aligner should be there.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
A few tips Oct 16, 2011

I can't find it either, and I have the latest release.

I found these discussions:

See more
I can't find it either, and I have the latest release.

I found these discussions:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/191654-wordfasr_pro_aligner.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/190885-wordfast_pro_alignment.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/188549-wordfast_alignment_software_included_in_pro+classic_package.html

I know that Wf Anywhere (the free, web-based version of Wf) has a built-in aligner, but I've never used it.

There are several other online aligners, too.

Good luck.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
At least, at my PC Oct 16, 2011

C:\Program Files (x86)\Wordfast\Wordfast_Aligner

Regards

Clarisa

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:30
Dutch to English
installed automatically Oct 16, 2011

If you have a recent version of Wordfast Pro then you will have automaically installed Aligner (at least, I did). Its under Wordfast in Programs.

Richard Sanders
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you! But new problem has emerged-please help if you can. Oct 16, 2011

Thank you all!
I found it, but now when I try to create a new in Wordfast Aligner following the relevant step in the manual Aligner does not recognize my file paths. If any of you knows why, please let me know.

Regards,
Rick

Richard Sanders
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again- I solved the file path problem, now to solve "java.lang.NullPointerException" Oct 16, 2011

Of course a new hurdle has appeared ..."java.lang.NullPointerException" , but I will search the forum to see if this problem has been answered already.

Best,
Rick

Khadhé

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:30
English to Arabic
File formats Oct 16, 2011

Dear Richard,

Maybe it is a file type issue. Wordfast Aligner supports TXML, DOC, PPT and XLS file formats. So, if you have Office 2007 documents, it is better to convert them first.

Another tip: create two folders one for source and another for a target and put the file in relevant folders. This should make creating a project easier.

HTH,
Yasmin

Richard Sanders
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yasmin - how about WF doing a free webinar on Align? Manual leaves much to be desired. Oct 16, 2011

Thank Yasmin, I was already able to figure that out from a previous post which you answered. However, once I finally succeeded in creating the file, I found the process of matching the segments very frustrating.

It would be great if WF would offer a free webinar on this process, since the instructions in the manual leave much to be desired.

Best,
Rick

OSWALDO MESIAS
OSWALDO MESIAS  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 10:30
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast documentation Aug 15, 2013

In general Wordfast documentation, and in particular for the later versions, is of poor quality. The current question about the localization of Aligner is so basic that it must appear in some place in the Wordfast documents. It seems the documentation is done by programmers, not by practical users.

[Editado a las 2013-08-15 01:29 GMT]

Khadhé

Khadhé
Khadhé
Local time: 08:30
English to French
Don't bother with WF aligner Apr 22, 2021

The Java implementation of WF and its associated tools, like the aligner, are too buggy to be of real value. Despite my many attempts (I paid 250$ for the "Studio" version, that includes WF Classic and WF Pro after all...), it has proven to be a total waste of time on Windows 10 starting with MS Word 2016 (WF was still ok with MS Word 2009).

I have worked with CAT tools for more than 2 decades. I was part of the Canadian team that tested the first versions of DéjàVu from Atril So
... See more
The Java implementation of WF and its associated tools, like the aligner, are too buggy to be of real value. Despite my many attempts (I paid 250$ for the "Studio" version, that includes WF Classic and WF Pro after all...), it has proven to be a total waste of time on Windows 10 starting with MS Word 2016 (WF was still ok with MS Word 2009).

I have worked with CAT tools for more than 2 decades. I was part of the Canadian team that tested the first versions of DéjàVu from Atril Solution back in the late 90s. WF Classic used to be a simple, efficient and competitive product as a macro for previous Word versions. However, the WF developers seem to have simply got lost in Script Land trying to keep up with new versions of the evolving MS Word. Unfortunately, to me, the present myriad of WF versions (online, Java, etc.) and a messy confusing documentation and knowledge base just reflect a last panicky attempt to catch up with the competition.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent- Where do I find Wordfast Aligner in Wordfast Pro?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »