Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2020

Have just looked at the release notes for the new Wordfast Pro 5.15 at https://wordfast.com/support_release_notes - and I'm underwhelmed.

There are a whole load of issues that I don't think I've ever encountered and apart (possibly) from "Fixed issue with performance of opening Live Preview for PowerPoint files", I can see no benefit in upgrading.

It looks like - yet
... See more
Have just looked at the release notes for the new Wordfast Pro 5.15 at https://wordfast.com/support_release_notes - and I'm underwhelmed.

There are a whole load of issues that I don't think I've ever encountered and apart (possibly) from "Fixed issue with performance of opening Live Preview for PowerPoint files", I can see no benefit in upgrading.

It looks like - yet again - they have included not even one of the many suggestions and complaints that I've made over the last year or so. Sigh.

What do others think?

[Edited at 2020-06-09 00:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-09 00:47 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene
Paolo Sebastiani

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Jun 8, 2020

Is this an update or an upgrade for you? I does not look like an upgrade.

Aline Amorim
Comunican

Paolo Sebastiani
Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Totally agree Jun 9, 2020

Comunican wrote:

It looks like - yet again - they have included not even one of the many suggestions and complaints that I've made over the last year or so. Sigh.

What do others think?

[Edited at 2020-06-09 00:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-09 00:47 GMT]

I contacted them many times about the possibility to select more than one segment at a time so that we can activate batch functions but this has never been taken into consideration.
And I think that this is a top feature that every other cat tool is provided with!!
You cannot lock or unlock something like 400 segments out of 2000 manually or can you???
I have been waiting for this feature for years but it is still work-in-progress!!!!!

Wolfgang Schoene
Comunican
P.L.F. Persio
Gabriel Lang
Leopoldo Gurman

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Comunican Jun 9, 2020

Comunican wrote:

Did you have to pay for the update?

I can see no benefit in upgrading.

Did they fix bugs? I'd rather have them focusing on fixing bugs than introducing new features.

It looks like - yet again - they have included not even one of the many suggestions and complaints that I've made over the last year or so.

The WFP5 team are doing their own thing.

So long as the program remains functional and usable, I will continue to download the updates. Or, if a client needs me to use a later version. This is in fact what happened recently with WFP5: a major client of mine upgraded their WFP server version, so it no longer works with certain older versions of WFP5.

[Edited at 2020-06-09 11:05 GMT]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jun 9, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Comunican wrote:

Did you have to pay for the update?

I can see no benefit in upgrading.

Did they fix bugs? I'd rather have them focusing on fixing bugs than introducing new features.

It looks like - yet again - they have included not even one of the many suggestions and complaints that I've made over the last year or so.

The WFP5 team are doing their own thing.

So long as the program remains functional and usable, I will continue to download the updates. Or, if a client needs me to use a later version. This is in fact what happened recently with WFP5: a major client of mine upgraded their WFP server version, so it no longer works with certain older versions of WFP5.

[Edited at 2020-06-09 11:05 GMT]

Hi Samuel, no, there's no cost for downloading the new version. Mostly, my 10-12 feedback comments have not been for new features, but instead for them to fix things. For example, when I cut and paste a word or phrase out of WPF5 to then paste into another site (wikipedia, dictionary etc), I don't want all the HTML formatting gubbins that goes with it. None of my clients use WFP5 (most use Trados), so that reason for moving to a new version doesn't apply to me.
Cheers

P.L.F. Persio

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
HTML formatting copy/paste issue workaround Jun 9, 2020

Comunican wrote:

For example, when I cut and paste a word or phrase out of WPF5 to then paste into another site (wikipedia, dictionary etc), I don't want all the HTML formatting gubbins that goes with it.

This drives me crazy as well. I found a workaround during a recent translation which was to switch text formatting to show formatting as tags. It depends on how attached you are to WYSIWYG formatting and how much formatting your files have. In any event, I think this is an extremely high priority and should be fixed soon.

Gabriel Lang
Leopoldo Gurman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5.15 - I'm underwhelmed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »