Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2020

I won't describe the grief I've been having with WF Pro 5 so I'll just get to the nuts and bolts.

Where can I find the following in WF Pro 5:

Where is the TM is stored?
Where is the cleaned file stored?
Where is the TMX get stored?

I've tried defining the paths and I can't find the files after thinking I put them where I want them.

[Edited at 2020-12-13 20:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-14 08:36 GMT]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
You specify everything Dec 14, 2020

- Where is the TM is stored?
You specify where the TM is stored. It is not a file, but a folder containing several files and folders.

- Where is the cleaned file stored?
You specify where to save it. If you clean up using the Cleanup icon in current project view, you have a few options to have it save automatically to the location of source files, to the project folder (in a "translated" folder) or a user-specified location.

- Where is the TMX get stored?... See more
You specify where the TM is stored. It is not a file, but a folder containing several files and folders.

You specify where to save it. If you clean up using the Cleanup icon in current project view, you have a few options to have it save automatically to the location of source files, to the project folder (in a "translated" folder) or a user-specified location.

- Where is the TMX get stored?
You specify where you want to export it to.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF Pro TM in several files and folders Dec 14, 2020

John Di Rico wrote:

Thanks for your reply. It helps a bit.

I don't quite understand how the TM works. Several files and folders? I don't quite get that. How do I move the TM from one folder to another or send it by email?

I'm used to WF Pro 3 where you had just one file for the TM and I could move it, send it, delete it, or whatever.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Re: John's comments Dec 15, 2020

John Di Rico wrote:

There really needs to be a "best practices guide" for people who begin to use WFP5.

W.r.t. to TMs, there are two types of offline TMs, namely "local" TMs (i.e. TMs that you have created separately from a project and typically reside outside a project folder) and "project" TMs (i.e. TMs that were created as part of a project and which typically reside inside a project folder. I'm not sure how project TMs work -- I have no idea what they are, exactly. But you can create or add a "local" TM while you're inside a project (and also while you're outside of a project).

The TM is, as John said, a folder with subfolders. There is no visual way of distinguishing a project folder from a TM folder. They are both folders, so this is why a proper naming scheme is essential. Whenever you create a TM, make sure it's name begins with "WFP5TM" (e.g. "WFP5TM My Financial Memory"), so that you can see which folder is a TM when you browse for TMs.

Some people have a special folder where they save all their TMs, but my WFP5 automatically shows the same folder as where my projects are stored, so it can be confusing if all folders look alike and you can't tell projects from TMs. For the same reason, my projects' names all start with "WFP5P" so that I can see which folders are projects.

Earlier versions of WFP5 had a special TM & Glossary management screen, but that was removed, and now the only way to create or manage TMs and glossaries is to go to some other function that includes TMs and glossaries, and manage your TMs and glossaries from there.

The easiest way (for me) is to go to Quick Tools (either press Ctrl+5 or click the hammer-and-sic^H^H^Hspanner icon on the left), go to the TM Update tab, and then manage your TMs from there (you can also manage TMs from e.g. the Analysis tab, but the TM list isn't resizeable and the visible list is longer on the TM Update tab than on the Analysis tab). To manage glossaries, go to the Quick Tools and then to the Bilingual Export tab. You have to lift your left hand off the desk while you do this, otherwise it doesn't work.

Unlike WFP3, the cleaned file does not appear in the same folder as the bilingual file. It appears somewhere else.

When you're in a project, and you select Project Files tab > Cleanup button, it shows a dialog, and at the top right of that dialog is a dropdown list with four partially self-explanatory options. If you select to put the cleaned file in the project itself, then the file appears in a folder called "translated", which is a sibling of the "txlf" folder. But it may be easiest to select the fourth option, "Enter the location to put the translated file" and then the "Browse" option becomes available.

You can also create the target file while you're in the file itself: on the File tab, select the "Save Translated File" button, which will open a browse dialog.

- Where is the TMX get stored?

Curiously, you can't export a TM to TMX via Quick Tools. You have to create a dummy project (or open an existing project) and add the TM to it (if it isn't added already) and then go to the Current Project (press Ctrl+3 or click the Folder icon on the left), then go to the Project TM tab, select the TM in the list, and then click the "Export TM" button. It should ask for a location to save. It does *not* offer to save the TMX file in the TM folder or anywhere near it.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wiki cool guide Dec 15, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

There really needs to be a "best practices guide" for people who begin to use WFP5.

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro_5#Getting_Started

Samuel Murray

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 15, 2020

Unlike WFP3, the cleaned file does not appear in the same folder as the bilingual file. It appears somewhere else.

Yes. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find my files. They seem to be all over my system. WFP3 put things all together, right where I could find them. Maybe if I understood the logic behind WFP5's organization I'd be less stressed about it.

When you're in a project, and you select Project Files tab > Cleanup button, it shows a dialog, and at the top right of that dialog is a dropdown list with four partially self-explanatory options. If you select to put the cleaned file in the project itself, then the file appears in a folder called "translated", which is a sibling of the "txlf" folder. But it may be easiest to select the fourth option, "Enter the location to put the translated file" and then the "Browse" option becomes available.

Yes. I have been choosing the option "Enter the location to put the translated file". I was still having some problems with this. I think it had something to do with choosing a sub-folder.

- Where is the TMX stored?

Curiously, you can't export a TM to TMX via Quick Tools. You have to create a dummy project (or open an existing project) and add the TM to it (if it isn't added already) and then go to the Current Project (press Ctrl+3 or click the Folder icon on the left), then go to the Project TM tab, select the TM in the list, and then click the "Export TM" button. It should ask for a location to save. It does *not* offer to save the TMX file in the TM folder or anywhere near it.

Right. You have to specify where you want it. Again, I really think I need to understand the logic behind all this. It greatly departs from the WFP3 system. Yes, I know it is a completely different piece of software, but at times I feel I'm going insane trying to make sense of this new one.
That said, there are a few features I like in WFP5 that WFP3 didn't have, such as seeing the formatted document on the right.

[Edited at 2020-12-15 16:18 GMT]

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Dec 15, 2020

John Di Rico wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro_5#Getting_Started

Thanks for the link. I just read a couple of the chapters.

On one hand, I am not happy with the learning curve, especially having already spent time learning prior versions. On the other hand, once I get more adept at the new version, I suppose I will be ahead of the other poor souls who don't bother to learn it.

[Edited at 2020-12-15 22:12 GMT]

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
File organization Dec 15, 2020

Edward Potter wrote:

Thanks for the link. I just read a couple of the chapters.

On one hand, I am not happy with the learning curve, especially have having spent time learning prior versions. On the other hand, once I get more adept at the new version, I suppose I will be ahead of the other poor souls who don't bother to learn it.

Hi Edward,

I strongly encourage you to submit feedback for improvements to developers by clicking on the WF icon top left. Many of us older users have gotten used to some of the shortcomings or adapted our way of working as a result. As a newer user, you can provide valuable feedback that might make the learning curve easier.

For example, when you click on Save File as Translated in the TXLF editor, I think the save dialogue should either default to:
1. Save it in the "translated" folder that should have been created when the project was created, not when a file is cleaned up.
2. Save it in the same location as the source file.

Currently, it does neither of these and defaults to save in the last place you saved something, say a local TM.

Personally, I don't have this problem since I always create translated files using the Cleanup icon in the current project view and the files are saved in the project's "translated" folder which is created automatically during the process.

Basically, with Wordfast Pro 3 you had to organize your files yourself. With Wordfast Pro 5, it organizes them for you. I drag and drop my files directly from Mac mail into the project creation wizard and it makes a copy of the file located in my hidden and inaccessible mail attachments folder and puts in the project folder. After cleaning up, I have all my files (source, target, bilingual) in a project folder that I can archive by zipping or eventually delete since all the data is in my TM.

Good luck!
John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@John Dec 15, 2020

John Di Rico wrote:
1. Save it in the "translated" folder that should have been created when the project was created, not when a file is cleaned up.

Actually, I'm glad that that folder isn't created at the start of the project. WFP5 creates far too many folders with subfolders, and if some of these folders were empty, it'd be even more frustrating for people browsing the folder tree in search of the file they're looking for.

Currently, it does neither of these and defaults to save in the last place you saved something, say a local TM.

Speaking of which, initially, when I discovered that WFP5 creates all these folder trees, I thought I could deal with WFP5 the same way as I deal with Trados, namely by having a folder on my Desktop called "Wordfast 5 Projects". But in WFP5, if you create a new project or try to add an existing one, it always defaults to the User folder and not the folder where the last project was saved or loaded from. So that meant that saving all my WFP5 projects in an "easy to reach" place on my Desktop actually caused just as many clickety-clickety-clicks as simply saving WFP5 projects in my dedicated client and job folders... which is how I currently deal with WFP5 projects.

I've gotten used to first opening folders via Windows Explorer and then performing functions in WFP5, because then I can quickly copy the file or folder location from Windows Explorer's breadcrumbs and paste it into the relevant dialog in WFP5. For example, "Export package" requires me to browse and select a location, and that location is NOT the project's current location (it's the User folder), and browsing to the project folder manually is just too darn difficult, especially if I'm working on an old project that I've already saved on drive D somewhere.

A similar oddity applies to importing bilingual review files -- you can drag and drop the DOC file into WFP5 but you have to specify the location of the TXLF files manually, and using the Browse button just drives me up the wall because, yes, it defaults to the User folder. So, when I have to import bilingual review files, I move/copy the DOC file to the folder that contains the TXLF files, then I drag and drop the DOC file into WFP5, and then I copy the path from Windows Explorer's breadcrumbs into the file location field in WFP5.

I can open a Trados project by double-clicking the SDLPROJ file, but I have been unable to coax WFP5 into opening a WFP5 project when I click the WFP4 file or the folder that is the project. The only way to open a project (in WFP5 it is called "to add a project") is by starting WFP5 first and then clicking the "Add project" button and copy/pasting the project's path from Windows Explorer's breadcrumbs into WFP5's browse field.

[Edited at 2020-12-15 20:50 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:09
English to French
+ ...
Project dialogue Dec 16, 2020

Hi all,

Besides all the resources presented here, there is a simple way of doing this, especially if you do this from the very beginning.

Create a folder structure where you want with Parent folder for all you Wf stuff and then 3 subfolders for 1-Projects, 2-TMs and 3-Glossaries.
Then create a project. And a that step, you can specify everything. You can decide where each part will be located (project, TM, Gloss). You can assign each item to the folder structure
... See more
Hi all,

Besides all the resources presented here, there is a simple way of doing this, especially if you do this from the very beginning.

Create a folder structure where you want with Parent folder for all you Wf stuff and then 3 subfolders for 1-Projects, 2-TMs and 3-Glossaries.
Then create a project. And a that step, you can specify everything. You can decide where each part will be located (project, TM, Gloss). You can assign each item to the folder structure you created.

Then from that point forward, just replicate the process. That should keep it easy and organized.

There are many videos and tutorials out there and full trainings on the Wordfast channel. For example, you can see the approach I described here for Mac in this video https://youtu.be/q-xvHbkRblI (the first 10 minutes, note that the video is in spanish).

That's the approach I find is the easiest.

Hope this helps
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot find memory on WF Pro 5

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »