Late charge - how much?
Автор темы: Zareah (X)
Zareah (X)
Zareah (X)  Identity Verified
США
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Jan 1, 2002

I was wondering how high my late charge would be (just in case).

Is there an average late charge (X.X %)?

What\'s \"normal\"?

Thanks in advance,

Nadine

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Швеция
Local time: 00:20
Член ProZ.com c 2000
немецкий => шведский
+ ...
Памяти
Personal experience and personal opinion: 1.5%/month Jan 2, 2002

= 18 % per annum.

This figure is not only derived from the interest level but also includes a disturbance\' and \'hassle\' factor.

When interest levels were higher it used to be 2%/month

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 00:20
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Depends on the country and on the currency... Jan 2, 2002

...obviously, 18% p.a. would be appropriate, at least from your point of view - the question is whether the rate is enforceable. Under recent German legislation, the rate you can charge if a debtor has defaulted on payment is linked to a key ECB rate (\'default\' in this context means 30 days after receipt of invoice - the snag is that you will need to prove they received it, so realistically this means 30 days after receipt of a reminder by registered mail, unless you want to send every invoice... See more
...obviously, 18% p.a. would be appropriate, at least from your point of view - the question is whether the rate is enforceable. Under recent German legislation, the rate you can charge if a debtor has defaulted on payment is linked to a key ECB rate (\'default\' in this context means 30 days after receipt of invoice - the snag is that you will need to prove they received it, so realistically this means 30 days after receipt of a reminder by registered mail, unless you want to send every invoice that way...).

Personally, I have only once managed to actually receive an extra charge for late payment - having said that, I have dumped a few customers where the delay was not due to an obvious error, but sheer negligence.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Zareah (X)
Zareah (X)  Identity Verified
США
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Автор темы
thank you Jan 2, 2002

ok, thank you very much - I\'ve never had to deal with late charges so I was wondering.

Thanks again!

Nadine

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 23:20
английский => иврит
+ ...
UK law Jan 2, 2002

In the UK too, a small company (incorporated or not) can charge a late payment fee linked to the Bank of England base rate. It is enforcable in principle, but of course a lot of hassle. Probably better to dump these people, and enter the amount as a bad debt in your accounts.

The industry-standard these days, BTW, is not \'The cheque is in the post beyond the orbit of Neptune\', but \'We never received your invoice\'. Emailed invoices are legal - but keep a copy! ...
See more
In the UK too, a small company (incorporated or not) can charge a late payment fee linked to the Bank of England base rate. It is enforcable in principle, but of course a lot of hassle. Probably better to dump these people, and enter the amount as a bad debt in your accounts.

The industry-standard these days, BTW, is not \'The cheque is in the post beyond the orbit of Neptune\', but \'We never received your invoice\'. Emailed invoices are legal - but keep a copy!
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Late charge - how much?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »