Off topic: What do you like to watch on TV?
Thread poster: Aleksandar Stanković
Aleksandar Stanković
Aleksandar Stanković
North Macedonia
Local time: 20:22
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jan 24, 2010

In the last few years, my local networks have successfully weaned me off of watching TV with their outdated production formats, annoyingly long talk shows and seemingly neverending commercial breaks. Luckily, the latest episodes of pretty much every show on the planet can be downloaded via torrents within minutes of their airing in the USA. They still count as TV content, so I guess that watching them does technically constitute me as a TV viewer, even though I don’t physically watch TV.
... See more
In the last few years, my local networks have successfully weaned me off of watching TV with their outdated production formats, annoyingly long talk shows and seemingly neverending commercial breaks. Luckily, the latest episodes of pretty much every show on the planet can be downloaded via torrents within minutes of their airing in the USA. They still count as TV content, so I guess that watching them does technically constitute me as a TV viewer, even though I don’t physically watch TV.

Anyway. I hardly ever miss an episode of Scrubs, 30 Rock, The Simpsons, House M.D., The Daily Show, The Colbert Report and The Late Late Show.

These are some of my favorite shows that have either been canceled or have ended: My Name Is Earl, Oliver Beene, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Blackadder, Out of Practice, Battlestar Galactica.

Although the following shows have been very successful and they play well with the general population, I find them to be extremely boring and I can’t muster the patience to sit through a single episode: South Park, Friends, That 70’s Show, 24, Lost, Heroes, and all sorts of Survivors and Big Brothers.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:22
Member (2007)
English to Italian
If I were you... Jan 24, 2010

Aleksandar Stanković wrote:

Luckily, the latest episodes of pretty much every show on the planet can be downloaded via torrents within minutes of their airing in the USA. They still count as TV content, so I guess that watching them does technically constitute me as a TV viewer, even though I don’t physically watch TV.

...I would not go public about downloading TV contents via the internet as it is illegal, since the view of such programs is not intended for any other countries in which they are originally broadcasted. Having said that, I think LOST is the best show I've seen in a long, long time.

Best regards
Gianni

[Edited at 2010-01-24 11:29 GMT]

Sarah Puchner
Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
French to English
Please, no commercials! Jan 24, 2010

Commercial interruption is the reason I watch very little US TV. We have Dish Network and pay an extra $10/month for the French language channel TV5 Monde - worth every penny. There are no commercials so you can watch an entire movie in 90 minutes.

We don't get HBO, but on a recent trip we caught an episode of the HBO series Flight of the Conchords in the hotel - that is the funniest thing I have seen on TV for a very long time.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:22
Spanish
+ ...
Lost and the Big Bang Theory Jan 25, 2010

Thanks to reality television and overall bad television, I decided to get rid of my TV. The other reason is that I don't want to get hooked to the good shows or guilty pleasures (America's Next Top Model anyone?). I'm now hooked to only two TV shows, The Big Bang Theory and of course Lost. I'm literally counting the days to the last season's premiere: 9 days, 1 hour9 days, 1 hour.Collapse

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:22
English to Portuguese
Time LOST Jan 25, 2010

I really liked Lost when it first came around. But now, after 5 seasons, I really regret spending all the time and energy. The series is simply absurd, every episode is more incoherent than the previous one. Obviously I'm going to watch the last season, but I don't have any expectations of a great finale where everything will be cleared up. We will most likely end up even more confused than when we first started. A David Lynch movie is much better than this.

But anyway... I find TV
... See more
I really liked Lost when it first came around. But now, after 5 seasons, I really regret spending all the time and energy. The series is simply absurd, every episode is more incoherent than the previous one. Obviously I'm going to watch the last season, but I don't have any expectations of a great finale where everything will be cleared up. We will most likely end up even more confused than when we first started. A David Lynch movie is much better than this.

But anyway... I find TV increasingly more annoying as the years pass. I don't know if TV shows are getting dumber or I'm getting old, but the fact is that most of what's on TV is pure garbage. I really enjoy the shows from the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Nat Geo, etc. (and even those channels have some pretty lousy shows... History Channel's "Ice Road Truckers" anyone? What's historical or interesting about that?). But as far as drama/comedy shows go... most of them are bad rehashes of everything that has already been done before. Not to mention all the stupid makeover shows. In my free time, I prefer much more to watch a movie, learn something interesting/useful on the internet, play video games, or heaven forbid, even read a book or magazine.

Seinfeld and Friends were pretty funny though. As is South Park.

And the OP is right: long live to torrents.

[Edited at 2010-01-25 13:21 GMT]
Collapse

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Lots of things.... Jan 25, 2010

I love watching TV, specially TV series. Internationally speaking, the ones I like best are: CSI (LA/NY/Miami), Criminal Minds, NCIS, Law and Order and South Park. Now, when we talk about TV programs in Brazil, I have to say I love CQC, Pânico na TV and 5ª Categoria (that is not on the air anymore, but I really enjoy watching the videos on the net ). And I also like to watch movies.

CheerZ,
Fernanda

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TV Sep 20, 2010

NatGeo, History Channel and the Mexican state-run TV channels linked to culture.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you like to watch on TV?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »