"Relief" Interpreting
Thread poster: ultramar
ultramar
ultramar
United States
Nov 17, 2014

Hi there,

I'm a certified Spanish medical interpreter (CMI) currently living/working in Boston and considering relocating to California.

I've noticed a few job openings (especially at Stanford Hospital) for 'relief' interpreters -I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience of doing this: how often you get work as relief, for how long at a time, under what circumstances? (i.e. if you will often substitute for a staff interpreter who is on a week-
... See more
Hi there,

I'm a certified Spanish medical interpreter (CMI) currently living/working in Boston and considering relocating to California.

I've noticed a few job openings (especially at Stanford Hospital) for 'relief' interpreters -I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience of doing this: how often you get work as relief, for how long at a time, under what circumstances? (i.e. if you will often substitute for a staff interpreter who is on a week-long vacation, or often only a day at a time if they happened to be short-staffed, etc.).

In Boston, we don't have the position of 'relief interpreter,' or not per se -any information would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask Nov 18, 2014

Ask Stanford Hospital, there they can give you the answer. The crowd cannot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Relief" Interpreting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »