A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: What do you use to schedule your work?
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 16:18
Tag (2008 óta)
olasz - angol
Grey matter Apr 6, 2022

Q. "What do you use to schedule your work?".
A. My brain.

Philip Lees
Tony Keily
Robert Forstag
Paulo Melo
Jennifer White
Spyros Salimpas
Christopher Schröder

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 17:18
Tag (2007 óta)
spanyol - angol
Desktop Apr 6, 2022

I line the documents up on my computer desktop. That suffices.

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Tag (2007 óta)
spanyol - angol
Showoff ; ) Apr 6, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Q. "What do you use to schedule your work?".
A. My brain.

P.L.F. Persio

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2018 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Whiteboard Apr 7, 2022

I have a little whiteboard placed next to my desk on which I note deadlines and word count.

But this is only a backup, as I have all deadlines in my mind. I am a very forgetful person, but when it comes to deadlines I can really rely on my memory.

[Edited at 2022-04-07 02:13 GMT]

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Olaszország
német - olasz
+ ...
Paper planner Apr 7, 2022

I've been using a very simple paper planner found at Tiger for some years now and it's perfect for me. They discontinued it last year (was very disappointed) but luckily I found it again end 2021 and I bought 2, one for me and one for my daughter.

Christine Andersen

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finnország
Local time: 18:18
Tag (2008 óta)
angol - finn
+ ...
Thunderbird's calendar tasks Apr 7, 2022

The task list appears in the email program sidebar. I convert each job email to a task and set the deadline. I can also check each job in the list as it's delivered. At the end of the month I add all jobs to a DIY database where I have tables, forms and queries set up for jobs, invoices, and clients.

[Edited at 2022-04-07 11:33 GMT]

Sebastian Witte
Giulia Marconi

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Tag (2003 óta)
francia - olasz
+ ...
Folders in desktop Apr 7, 2022

With name of client and deadline, once delivered I move them in another folder with the name of the month, once the month finished I invoice and send the folder to "documents".

[Edited at 2022-04-07 14:57 GMT]

Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi  Identity Verified
Olaszország
német - olasz
+ ...
A paper planner Apr 7, 2022

old style (like me)

Christine Andersen
Tom in London
expressisverbis
Edward Potter
Gennady Lapardin

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japán
Local time: 00:18
Tag (2013 óta)
angol - japán
+ ...
Trados project list and simple text file Apr 7, 2022

Trados project list and simple text file (provided price and invoicing details are managed by agency)

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
Franciaország
Tag (2016 óta)
angol - francia
+ ...
Google calendar + In box + Spreadsheet + Folders Apr 7, 2022

Depending on what you mean by "planning":
- All my work comes with an email so I keep in my Inbox only those that are still to be done, once the work delivered, I store the email in a client folder.
- When I accept a job, I plan it in my Google calendar. I have one account dedicated to work + on for my family organization + one for personal organization, all have different colours so that I immediately know what is related to work and when I have other thinks to do which will reduce
... See more
Depending on what you mean by "planning":
- All my work comes with an email so I keep in my Inbox only those that are still to be done, once the work delivered, I store the email in a client folder.
- When I accept a job, I plan it in my Google calendar. I have one account dedicated to work + on for my family organization + one for personal organization, all have different colours so that I immediately know what is related to work and when I have other thinks to do which will reduce my working time (e.g. if I have to drive one of my kids somewhere or if I have a meeting or work to do for one of the organizations with whom I volunteer). I plan every hour I think I will need for each project and I write the delivery date and time in the title of the event so that I know if I can move a planned time range to another day to fit a more urgent project in.
- I have a large spreadsheet which serves to track work done, time spent, money earned, taxes to pay and all that sort of things. I also use it to issue my invoices. In this spreadsheet, I have one line per project with all the info including order and delivery date, fees, etc...
- I have one folder per client, with a sub-folder for work and one for POs, invoices, contracts... in the Work sub-folder, I have a sub-folder per month and bellow a sub-folder by project with a project ID that I also have in my spreadsheet. All documents related to a project go in this folder so that I can find them any time.

I see from this topic that we all have really different ways of dealing with this, I find this diversity fascinating, it so much shows the diversity of our profession and of mankind!
Collapse

Souleymane Ba
Souleymane Ba  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 11:18
ProZ.com-tag
angol - fulani
+ ...
Poll Discussion Apr 8, 2022

Just a Word file to keep it simple.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 11:18
Tag (2005 óta)
angol - kínai
+ ...
Never felt a need to schedule my work Apr 8, 2022

My work is automatically scheduled when my client assigns a job to me. I just keep in mind the turnaround times of my assignments. In case I'm confused about the deadline of a job, I just conduct a keyword search in my email inbox. That effort is much less of a burden than using a tool to "schedule" my work.

[Edited at 2022-04-09 07:50 GMT]

Becca Resnik

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Németország
német - olasz
+ ...
Mesmource and Excel :) Apr 9, 2022

Most of my projects arrive, at the moment, via the Memsource Cloud server (I have a linguistic account received by an agency), so it is quite easy to keep track of each project.
Almost all projects are to be delivered within few days, so it is not so difficult to forget them, and you can also see the delivery date and time on Memsource, this helps me to never forget about them.

Furthermore, I also use an Excel t
... See more
Most of my projects arrive, at the moment, via the Memsource Cloud server (I have a linguistic account received by an agency), so it is quite easy to keep track of each project.
Almost all projects are to be delivered within few days, so it is not so difficult to forget them, and you can also see the delivery date and time on Memsource, this helps me to never forget about them.

Furthermore, I also use an Excel table in which I insert some data regarding each project, such as project name, client name, number of words for translation or revision, amount to be paid for that single project and the delivery date.
This way, it's easier to have everything in one place (such as both the delivery date, the total earnings and the total amount of words of that specific month).

I tried using Protemos for some time, but I found its use a little bit complicated, so I decided to keep on entering my information into an Excel file.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 12:18
Tag (2014 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
Unbelievable Apr 11, 2022

It's unbelievable, even scary, to realize that 30% of us still use paper agendas, when the electronic ones are 300% better and save some trees.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
angol - francia
+ ...
A mix (and re unbelievable) Apr 11, 2022

Imagine other humains thinking, living and working differently.

It's easy if you try.

Especially, professionals, with different needs and perceptions of what is best, or better, for them. Better is not universal.

---

I use a combination of a project management/invoicing web app for freelance translators (Protemos), color labels (like working, todo, waiting, delivered) on my trusty email client combined with smart folders and a zero inbox policy
... See more
Imagine other humains thinking, living and working differently.

It's easy if you try.

Especially, professionals, with different needs and perceptions of what is best, or better, for them. Better is not universal.

---

I use a combination of a project management/invoicing web app for freelance translators (Protemos), color labels (like working, todo, waiting, delivered) on my trusty email client combined with smart folders and a zero inbox policy (Thunderbird), a modern note taking/knowledge management software for time-blocking a la Cal Newport (Logseq) or just a paper note if I want to go analog, and yes, my brain (but that goes without saying)

[Edited at 2022-04-11 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you use to schedule your work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »