Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Compared to the minimum monthly salary in your country, do you earn (net):
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:31
English to Turkish
Mr. Peterson May 10, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:
A proz classic is the translator who chides others for not raising their rates, as if it never occurred to them to try, or as if there were some moral imperative to try.

Seeing as how he is the only person complaining about the crisis in Brazil on these forums for as long as I can remember, I'm willing to bet it hasn't occurred to him.

Justin Peterson wrote:
And I wish more colleagues on proz would refrain from telling their colleagues what they should be charging. It's simply condescending and presumptuous.

I see that you're sensitive about this subject. Could this have anything to do with your admirable daily output (price-performance ratio) and your monthly rent?

[Edited at 2022-05-10 08:16 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:31
English to German
+ ...
You're right May 10, 2022

Minimum wage is not a way to judge income in many countries.
Maybe I should have used a teacher's salary as comparison.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Imagining a different language May 10, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
Here it goes: Imagine yourself being a translator in Portugal (not in Brazil), you speak the same language, have the same culture etc. What does Teresa Borges have (apart from her portfolio of apparently good paying clients and decades of experience) that you don't have?

Well, she has a different language (European Portuguese), a different culture (Iberian) and a more favourable time zone.

[Edited at 2022-05-10 08:35 GMT]

ahartje

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:31
English to Turkish
Duly noted May 10, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Well, she has a different language (European Portuguese), a different culture (Iberian) and a more favourable time zone.

[Edited at 2022-05-10 08:35 GMT]

Perhaps you're not the right person to ask this, but is Brazilian Portuguese night and day different than European Portuguese? Couldn't an educated Brazilian translator, well-versed in both varieties (as they should be, if they're making a living out of this profession), translate into European Portuguese and pass himself off as a European Portuguese translator (alert for the 'ethics brigade'!)? I personally think they're entitled to do this more than those (who's never set foot in an English speaking country in their lives) adding that fake gray native English speaker ('N') sign to their profiles.
If Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese are considered as "different languages" as you claim, then he can add two different language combinations to his profile like every Dutch or Belgian translator seems to do. And lastly, from what I know, Brazilian Portuguese is in more demand than European Portuguese (I don't know if this has anything to do with the minimum wage in Brazil).
I won't argue about the geography, but I reckon Iberian culture is a damn sight closer to Brazilian and Latin American culture than it is to Dutch or German culture, although the latter countries are located in closer proximity.
As for time zone, you may have a point there, but there are still good paying American and Canadian agencies within that time zone.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:31
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It doesn't hurt May 10, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:
And I wish more colleagues on proz would refrain from telling their colleagues what they should be charging. It's simply condescending and presumptuous.

It doesn't hurt to remind these colleagues they should and could charge higher.

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
Wiebke Herbig
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
Jan Truper

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pots, kettles and price dumping May 10, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:

Unlike those telling their colleagues what they are allowed to say?

IMHO those who undercharge are doing everyone else a disservice.

Matthias Brombach
Baran Keki
Jorge Payan
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
Sadek_A

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:31
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm sorry Baran, but you are wrong May 10, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Paul, I have a solution for you. Once you've implemented this you'll forget about the never-ending economic crisis in Brazil, and in fact you'll forget all about Brazil.
Here it goes: Imagine yourself being a translator in Portugal (not in Brazil), you speak the same language, have the same culture etc.

We don't have the same culture, and both variants can be quite different. You don't imagine how many words, expressions and idioms can vary.
Many Brazilians who are now living here still have lots of difficulties in understanding European Portuguese.
Also, if I am not mistaken, Paul's native language is English, so my solution for him would be to stick more to Portuguese into English translation, and work with English clients/agencies. I believe he will be luckier.
And no, a Brazilian Portuguese cannot translate into European Portuguese and the other way around. It would be like asking a Moroccan to translate into Egyptian Arabic, or Hindi into Urdu (even if the latter ones can understand each other in oral speech).
"Cada macaco no seu galho" ("each to his own").

PS: Don't forget that European Portuguese is spoken in other countries. And Portuguese culture has nothing to do with Latin America. I think we are "unique" even as a Mediterranean country.

[Edited at 2022-05-10 23:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-10 23:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-10 23:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-10 23:21 GMT]

Baran Keki
Michele Fauble

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:31
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Neither telling nor refraining achieve anything May 11, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:

Justin, on a recent thread you explained your own business model. Several people chipped in with their opinion - this being a public forum - pointing out that they do things differently, mostly by working less hard and aiming higher up the market. Fair enough, but if your approach works for you and you accept the compromises it entails, it works, right?

Unfortunately, as evidenced by doleful comments about the trials of the translation market in Brazil stretching back a good ten years, Paul's approach does not work.

When it is painfully clear that whatever somebody is doing isn't working, suggesting that others leave him alone so that he continue to do that "something" is neither sensible nor helpful.

If we could wave a magic wand to help Paul, we would, but we can't. What we do have is an unparalleled concentration of knowledge and experience of the translation market, but years of sharing that in the form of our collective advice and opinion hasn't helped him. So while people are or were sympathetic, when Paul airs his problems for the umpteenth time I think some exasperation on the part of other forum members is understandable.

Also, surely it's reasonable for people to assume that this lack of success is not an unavoidable feature of the Brazilian market. Others working in the same pair - Mario Freitas of this parish, for example - appear to have clients outside Brazil and seem to be doing okay. At the end of the day it's the actions of the individual that matter.

Regards,
Dan

Baran Keki
Kevin Fulton
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
AnnaSCHTR

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Compared to the minimum monthly salary in your country, do you earn (net):

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »