Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Chris! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you, Chris for your reply. I appreciate your letting me know the situation with advance payment and alternatives to it.. True, I have never been able to get any advance payment. I would assume it is not the practice at all, as you said. Or may be when I am a much-sought-after translator that I can start asking for advance payment.

I also do not forget that most outsourcers are hones in their practices. I have worked with some, already... they have even paid a week earlier th
... See more
Thank you, Chris for your reply. I appreciate your letting me know the situation with advance payment and alternatives to it.. True, I have never been able to get any advance payment. I would assume it is not the practice at all, as you said. Or may be when I am a much-sought-after translator that I can start asking for advance payment.

I also do not forget that most outsourcers are hones in their practices. I have worked with some, already... they have even paid a week earlier than the agreedd-upon time.

Thanks again
Zareh

[Edited at 2008-07-31 17:40]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translating into English Jul 31, 2008

Zareh,

Just curious. Do you have a native English speaker proofread your translations?

[Edited at 2008-07-31 17:20]

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jeff! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you, Jeff. No, I don't have a proof-reader of any kind.

I do teach English in the US, in addition to teaching chemistry, physics, and math..

I have taught English for quite a while, both as a private instructor with "teaching
companies", and also as a private instructor. When I type here on the Forum, I will
be making mistakes... I am too excited..

This payment issue is not related to my English. My client does not even communicate in
... See more

I do teach English in the US, in addition to teaching chemistry, physics, and math..

I have taught English for quite a while, both as a private instructor with "teaching
companies", and also as a private instructor. When I type here on the Forum, I will

This payment issue is not related to my English. My client does not even communicate in English. I was hired by The Ohio State University precisely because of my "excellent teaching abilities and my clear and clean English. The professor who hired me responed to questions about my hiring by saying: "Once you hear him, it's a no-brainer to hire him!""... Students told me that they finally had someone with very good English.

I was also featured by the University of Delaware paper for my teaching abilities in English...

Thanks for your note..

Zareh

[Edited at 2008-07-31 17:45]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
English Jul 31, 2008

Ah, je vois...

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D. wrote:

This payment issue is not related to my English. My client does not even communicate in English. I was hired by The Ohio State University precisely because of my "excellent teaching abilities and my clear and clean English. The professor who hired me responed to questions about my hiring by saying: "Once you hear him, it's a no-brainer to hire him!""... Students told me that they finally had someone with very good English.

I was also featured by the University of Delaware paper for my teaching abilities in English...

Thanks for your note..

Zareh

[Edited at 2008-07-31 17:45]

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jade! Jul 31, 2008

Jade Baksh wrote:

I have also experienced the same as you have and recently a blue board member who used really insultive language after I told him to seek another translator. Curiously his rating was good, but his behaviour and language reproachable. I suspected that he surely wouldnt comply with his "agreement" and decided to be on the safe side.
I do feel your pain and wish you all the best the next time.
Please take care.

Zareh Darakjian Ph.D.
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jade! Jul 31, 2008

Thank you, Jade, for your remarks. Who knows, may be there are two of them, or they may be one! who knows!

Thanks for taking the time to relate your experience. I hope that we don't have
any of these in the future.. to write about..

Zareh

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on how to deal with abusers of the proz.com site

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »