Are ProZ.com job posters checked in any way?
Thread poster: Britta Niggenaber
Britta Niggenaber
Britta Niggenaber
Germany
Local time: 21:10
English to German
Sep 14, 2011

I have registered with proz about 6 weeks ago, and already somebody has tried to scam me. I also notices one or two other job postings which seemed kind of fishy to me (one of them was deleted after a day or so, so I was probably right).

Today I noticed a posting where the website given in the information about the poster did not match the company name. So I was wondering, are new posters checked in any way to make sure the posting is legitimate or at least that they are who they c
... See more
I have registered with proz about 6 weeks ago, and already somebody has tried to scam me. I also notices one or two other job postings which seemed kind of fishy to me (one of them was deleted after a day or so, so I was probably right).

Today I noticed a posting where the website given in the information about the poster did not match the company name. So I was wondering, are new posters checked in any way to make sure the posting is legitimate or at least that they are who they claim to be? I have not been able to find information on this issue anywhere here.

So if anyone knows more, just let me know.

Britta
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Detecting and reacting to scams Sep 14, 2011

Hello Britta,

Jobs posted by site users (not paying members) are checked by site staff before being approved, while jobs posted by paying members are, in general, posted immediately. This doesn't mean though that you shouldn't take your own measures to assess risk.

To learn how to recognize fraudulent activities and thus be better prepared to handle them, I suggest you read the following Wiki article on "Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams":
... See more
Hello Britta,

Jobs posted by site users (not paying members) are checked by site staff before being approved, while jobs posted by paying members are, in general, posted immediately. This doesn't mean though that you shouldn't take your own measures to assess risk.

To learn how to recognize fraudulent activities and thus be better prepared to handle them, I suggest you read the following Wiki article on "Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams":

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams

Also, perhaps you may want to subscribe to receive email notifications for new posts made in the "Scams" forum:

http://www.proz.com/forum/946

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are ProZ.com job posters checked in any way?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »