Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 04:29
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Jun 4, 2013

Dear ProZ.com members,

The ProZ.com development team has made some improvements to help facilitate better communication between job posters and linguist candidates.

Job posters can customize and batch send responses to quotes they receive, including "no thank you" replies and personalized replies including improvements to the boilerplate and saved response templates. In addition when job posters send notes to linguists that have submitted a quote, those notes can now b
... See more
Dear ProZ.com members,

The ProZ.com development team has made some improvements to help facilitate better communication between job posters and linguist candidates.

Job posters can customize and batch send responses to quotes they receive, including "no thank you" replies and personalized replies including improvements to the boilerplate and saved response templates. In addition when job posters send notes to linguists that have submitted a quote, those notes can now be viewed within ProZ.com members "my quotes" section.

It is hoped that these improvements will enable better communication between both parties - job posters and linguists that quote on jobs.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
"No thank you" notes? Jun 4, 2013

While I appreciate efforts to make improvements to this site, I have to say I really don't see the point of enabling the sending of batches of "no thank you" notes (or, for that matter, of the "decline quote" option that is already in place). I operate under the premise that no response means non-acceptance of a bid (the result in something like 97% of postings I bid on). I for one will not find it the least bit helpful to receive a superfluous e-mail confirming the obvious. I doubt that I am a... See more
While I appreciate efforts to make improvements to this site, I have to say I really don't see the point of enabling the sending of batches of "no thank you" notes (or, for that matter, of the "decline quote" option that is already in place). I operate under the premise that no response means non-acceptance of a bid (the result in something like 97% of postings I bid on). I for one will not find it the least bit helpful to receive a superfluous e-mail confirming the obvious. I doubt that I am alone in feeling this way....

I would add that any attempt to justify such a procedure on the basis of it constituting a small courtesy or personal touch falls apart when it is considered that any such batch would almost certainly be delivered after expiration of the quote deadline and would, by definition, be a boiler-plate response in which only the name of the recipient has been changed.

[Edited at 2013-06-04 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Responses desired by others in the community Jun 4, 2013

Hi Robert, I appreciate your input. There have been requests from others in the community that quote on jobs that they would like to be notified, irrespective of the mechanism or timing of that notification.

You're right that there are boilerplate options, but there are also opportunities to add and save templates and opportunities to amend responses to individual quotes to give a personal reply, as well as improvements to the note sending mechanism that will hopefully enhance the
... See more
Hi Robert, I appreciate your input. There have been requests from others in the community that quote on jobs that they would like to be notified, irrespective of the mechanism or timing of that notification.

You're right that there are boilerplate options, but there are also opportunities to add and save templates and opportunities to amend responses to individual quotes to give a personal reply, as well as improvements to the note sending mechanism that will hopefully enhance the communication and experience for both parties.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
スペイン
Local time: 10:29
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Alternative proposal Jun 4, 2013

I for one would appreciate the option to reply to posters offering insultingly low rates, informing them in no uncertain terms that hell would freeze over before I'd consider working for the pittances they propose.

PS: And my own rates are low to average for my pair...

[Edited at 2013-06-04 18:05 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
ブラジル
Local time: 05:29
英語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
追悼
Since you are improving this area... Jun 4, 2013

... a few ideas may be in place.

1. Gray out a job on the jobs page, when bidding period has expired.

2. A long-forgotten suggestion of mine, to add one more checkbox on the bidding form, together with full name/phone/fax/e-mail to include the bidder's web site URL.

3. Allow "quick questions" on any job post. A logged-in user/member may send a quick question (e.g. max. 200-256 chars) to the job poster, who will receive it by e-mail, and, upon answering, wil
... See more
... a few ideas may be in place.

2. A long-forgotten suggestion of mine, to add one more checkbox on the bidding form, together with full name/phone/fax/e-mail to include the bidder's web site URL.

3. Allow "quick questions" on any job post. A logged-in user/member may send a quick question (e.g. max. 200-256 chars) to the job poster, who will receive it by e-mail, and, upon answering, will have the option to add the Q&A to the job post.

For example... a job for English into Portuguese.
Without/before bidding, I'd like to ask them, Which variant of PT do you want? BR or EU?".
The job poster could answer simply e.g. "Brazilian" and choose to add the Q&A to the job, so they won't have to answer it again to a number of candidates, nor have to screen out bids from translators working into other variants.

4. Considering AV work, add the unit "minute", i.e. USD X per minute of playing time.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
イスラエル
Local time: 11:29
英語 から ヘブライ語
+ ...
Another comment Jun 4, 2013

While any attempt for improvement is appreciated, I think that there are much more pressing and important concerns that need attention (the directory ranking, Kudoz abuse to name just a few).
I take the risk of assuming that the majority of professionals who are paying members of this website will agree that the bidding platform is pretty much useless because it attracts a very specific type of posters.

I think that before Proz deals with semantics, it should make up their min
... See more
While any attempt for improvement is appreciated, I think that there are much more pressing and important concerns that need attention (the directory ranking, Kudoz abuse to name just a few).
I take the risk of assuming that the majority of professionals who are paying members of this website will agree that the bidding platform is pretty much useless because it attracts a very specific type of posters.

I think that before Proz deals with semantics, it should make up their mind about which direction this website is taking, and be honest and transparent with their members about it. Proz is a commercial site and as such is free to work and seek whatever path its management see fit. However, the management should be more active in keeping the community in the loop and transparent about their vision for the future of this website and community.

[Edited at 2013-06-04 19:58 GMT]
Collapse

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
米国
2008に入会
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Expired jobs now indicated Jun 5, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I have made this change on the jobs list page. Thank you for your suggestion; more are welcome, and the others brought up so far will be addressed.

Matt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improvements to facilitate better communication around job postings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »