Thread poster: Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:13
English to French
+ ...
Aug 25, 2010

I received an assignment from someone through Proz.com, but not a member.
Work done, promised payment has not arrived on August 1st and that person denies having a debt
Here is his reply to my request for payment :

"I know nothing about what you are talking about. I have had dealing with this type before and will not be caught out."

Alzheimer or dishonest ? I wish to warn my colleagues about this person. Where should I post his name ?

I have all
... See more
I received an assignment from someone through Proz.com, but not a member.
Work done, promised payment has not arrived on August 1st and that person denies having a debt
Here is his reply to my request for payment :

"I know nothing about what you are talking about. I have had dealing with this type before and will not be caught out."

Alzheimer or dishonest ? I wish to warn my colleagues about this person. Where should I post his name ?

I have all the e-mails we exchanged and after checking the codes, it appears some were sent from England and some from California, when his first message said :

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: XXX [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 80.239.242.95
Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Greetings!

My name is XXX from Toronto,Canada but
presently on an official assignment in Bucarest,Romania.I
will need your service to translate a write-up for me.I
actually need to make a presentation to some group of french
speaking people in Quebec and I will be provided with an
interpreter there in Quebec,so i will need you to help me
translate the papers to canadian French,so each of my
audience can have a copy in French language and they can
follow through.I will also need that the work be delivered
by August 1st.Please,let me know your rate for a total of
about 15 pages presentation(see attachments) and your
methods of payment.

Thank you.

XXX.

I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions as to what I should do. Even if I have little hope of ever receiving payment (almost 600$ worth of my time), I believe the guy should be prevented from doing more harm.
Thanks
Ode

[Edited at 2010-08-25 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Haris Ali Dogar
Haris Ali Dogar  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 16:13
English to Urdu
+ ...
Precutionary Steps! Aug 25, 2010

Before undertaking the job it is always recommended to get information about him or his/her company.

To be honest, I always take following precautionary steps before undertaking any job.

1. See Proz.com profile (member is the best), but non member with WWA entries and Kudoz points is also Okay.

2. Have a look at his/website.

3. While dealing with him, check from which country emails are coming (Is it the same in which job poster is claiming to
... See more
Before undertaking the job it is always recommended to get information about him or his/her company.

To be honest, I always take following precautionary steps before undertaking any job.

1. See Proz.com profile (member is the best), but non member with WWA entries and Kudoz points is also Okay.

2. Have a look at his/website.

3. While dealing with him, check from which country emails are coming (Is it the same in which job poster is claiming to be). You can use http://whatismyipaddress.com/trace-email to trace his emails.

But all you can do now is to tell proz.com support that this person is cheater.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Make a Blueboard entry Aug 25, 2010

Make a Blueboard entry now with the information you have. You will at least need full name/company name, address, and phone number. I hope you have that!!!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Edit your post so that it is not banned! Aug 25, 2010

You might want to edit the email you pasted in your post, so that it does not show the name of the outsourcer. Giving outsourcer details in the fora is against Proz.com's rules.

Replace the name with XXXX or similar, but MAKE A BLUEBOARD ENTRY about the guy!

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:13
Turkish to English
+ ...
You have to be careful about granting credit Aug 25, 2010

Credit is a privilige which you grant to a prospective client once you have convinced yourself that they are worthy of it. I will only work on a credit basis once I have established that the client is a solid, reliable commercial enterprise. I usually insist on up-front payment from private individuals.

[Edited at 2010-08-25 08:38 GMT]

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I got something similar today Aug 25, 2010

from a hotmail address (IP Slovenia - I checked) and no company affiliation. It went straight into my trash folder. There have been I don't know how many forum discussions about scams. Every Proz user should read them upon registering. Suggestion to ProZ: When welcoming new users provide a warning and a link to the scam forums. (A nice, reassuring greeting that would be, but I'm serious.)

Anyone receiving a suspiciou
... See more
from a hotmail address (IP Slovenia - I checked) and no company affiliation. It went straight into my trash folder. There have been I don't know how many forum discussions about scams. Every Proz user should read them upon registering. Suggestion to ProZ: When welcoming new users provide a warning and a link to the scam forums. (A nice, reassuring greeting that would be, but I'm serious.)

Anyone receiving a suspicious e-mail like that should hit the link provided at the bottom of every e-mail sent via ProZ:
"Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here: [link]" which sends the offending e-mail to ProZ support post-haste.

I doubt you have any recourse: the names are probably false and the accounts cancelled as soon as they get the translation, then they submit it to their client as their own and collect. Best to just accept it as a lesson learned and move on.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Received the same (in June I think) Aug 25, 2010

And dealt it like a scam, (i.e I never replied).

This is because it is very strange to write to an Italian native living in Italy for a translation into Canadian French needed in Quebec.

I immediately felt it was something at least strange, I am really sorry you are facing such a bad experience.

Regards!

[Edited at 2010-08-25 11:58 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
French to English
+ ...
Scam vs real offer Aug 25, 2010

People's mileage could vary, but one telltale sign that I seem to see of scams is that the author goes to an exaggerated amount of trouble to make their offer look "authentic" with all sorts of details that a real enquirer wouldn't actually use.

Most genuine enquiries I get just tend to say: "How much would you charge to translate this document into French?" or possibly "How much would you charge to get me this document translated by the 14th?". They don't tend to say: "I'll be need
... See more
People's mileage could vary, but one telltale sign that I seem to see of scams is that the author goes to an exaggerated amount of trouble to make their offer look "authentic" with all sorts of details that a real enquirer wouldn't actually use.

Most genuine enquiries I get just tend to say: "How much would you charge to translate this document into French?" or possibly "How much would you charge to get me this document translated by the 14th?". They don't tend to say: "I'll be needing a document translating into French because my mother, who's just come out of hospital after breaking her leg on holiday, is an avid trainspotter and needs to apply to her local French council for a wheelchair licence allowing her to use SNCF ramps more than the statutory 4 times a day, but sadly her French is limited, despite having lived in the country for over 4 years..."
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Way to go! Aug 25, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:
Most genuine enquiries I get just tend to say: "How much would you charge to translate this document into French?" or possibly "How much would you charge to get me this document translated by the 14th?". They don't tend to say: "I'll be needing a document translating into French because my mother, who's just come out of hospital after breaking her leg on holiday, is an avid trainspotter and needs to apply to her local French council for a wheelchair licence allowing her to use SNCF ramps more than the statutory 4 times a day, but sadly her French is limited, despite having lived in the country for over 4 years..."

LOL! Thanks a lot Neil!

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 25, 2010

I know about warnings and I check and avoid scams usually but I got caught this time. I should have checked if only the IPs addresses which I did after receiving his denial. I did try to check by name but he is not a registered member on proz, at least not under his name.

He was also on Linkedl and accepted connection with me (which he has since revoked apparently)
So I was too naive and trusting.
For the Blue Board, I thought only registered members could appear there
... See more
I know about warnings and I check and avoid scams usually but I got caught this time. I should have checked if only the IPs addresses which I did after receiving his denial. I did try to check by name but he is not a registered member on proz, at least not under his name.

He was also on Linkedl and accepted connection with me (which he has since revoked apparently)
So I was too naive and trusting.
For the Blue Board, I thought only registered members could appear there.

Lots of reading to do to see if I find a way to make him pay.

Heave a nice day
Ode
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:13
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
This comment was included in the wiki page on scams Aug 25, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for this contribution! I found it so valuable that I added it to the overview of the wiki page on Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams. I hope you don't mind.

All members are encouraged to contribute to this and other community wiki pages.

Regards

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
BlueBoard Aug 26, 2010

Odette Grille wrote:

I believe anyone can post an entry, and anyone can read the ratings (out of 5) of those entered there. You have to be a member to see the details.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:13
English to Thai
+ ...
Use of Brownitz Aug 26, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

Odette Grille wrote:

I believe anyone can post an entry, and anyone can read the ratings (out of 5) of those entered there. You have to be a member to see the details.

I used Proz.com Brownitz to read/add entry to Proz Blue Board when I did not pay for membership fee sometimes.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get paid ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »