University in Finland does not provide P.O. = possible scam?
Tópico cartaz: Anne Stevens
Anne Stevens
Anne Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
inglês para francês
+ ...
Dec 29, 2011

Someone who claims to be a university professor in Finland asked me to quote on a large translation. He accepted my quote and stated the university would pay my fee upon completion. When I asked for a Purchase Order, he replied that his university does not provide P.O.'s for translations because Finland is a corruption-free country (!).

What do you think?

Do you think this translation assignment is legitimate?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 08:09
inglês para holandês
+ ...
Sounds fishy Dec 29, 2011

We've done work for an Italian university, but they made very sure that we were qualified, that we would invoice the way they wanted and that all tax issues were cleared before we got the go-ahead.

It's generally very unlikely that any individual can give you a job that is to be paid by another entity without some communication from that entity as well. That applies to government, education, religion and business. It's the person or organization that is going to pay you that you ne
... See more
We've done work for an Italian university, but they made very sure that we were qualified, that we would invoice the way they wanted and that all tax issues were cleared before we got the go-ahead.

It's generally very unlikely that any individual can give you a job that is to be paid by another entity without some communication from that entity as well. That applies to government, education, religion and business. It's the person or organization that is going to pay you that you need to get the order from and the particulars of.

The good old telephone may be of tremendous help here. Ask him for his number at the university. Insist on it. No private number or cell phone. If he gives you a number you can verify the correctness of his identity.

A real client would never be insulted by requests for verification or reference.

Good luck!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
França
Local time: 17:09
Membro
francês para inglês
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Suspicious Dec 29, 2011

I don't know any large, official organization in any country that does not use some form of purchase order system — and it is nothing to do with "corruption", it is simply an administrative tool for keeping track of orders and payments when they are not handled by the same person.

I assume you know which university? If so, it should be relatively easy to make some discreet enquiries with their accounts department, for example.

I have to say that it sounds a bit
... See more
I don't know any large, official organization in any country that does not use some form of purchase order system — and it is nothing to do with "corruption", it is simply an administrative tool for keeping track of orders and payments when they are not handled by the same person.

I assume you know which university? If so, it should be relatively easy to make some discreet enquiries with their accounts department, for example.

I have to say that it sounds a bit dodgy to me, particularly the fact that this person immediately mentions 'corruption' in this way — sounds like a warning bell to me.

I would simply say "sorry, no PO = no translation" — or at least ask for a letter of confirmation on official University letterhead (they must have THAT!)
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japão
Local time: 00:09
japonês para inglês
Professor, Comedian, or just naive??? Dec 29, 2011

his university does not provide P.O.'s for translations because Finland is a corruption-free country (!).

Absolutely hilarious quote!!!

No, I would not take this person seriously without further research!!!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Double-checking Dec 29, 2011

Did this professor use his official email at the University or some Gmail (or equivalent) free email address?

Ask this professor for his full name and his department at the University, look for the contact information of the University in the web and call the University to check whether they have a professor with this name. Ask to talk to that professor or his phone number at the University.

If the University is in its Christmas holidays, and therefore you cannot check
... See more
Did this professor use his official email at the University or some Gmail (or equivalent) free email address?

Ask this professor for his full name and his department at the University, look for the contact information of the University in the web and call the University to check whether they have a professor with this name. Ask to talk to that professor or his phone number at the University.

If the University is in its Christmas holidays, and therefore you cannot check this person yourself... it would be safer not to do the job.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Very suspicious Dec 29, 2011

Anne Stevens wrote:
When I asked for a Purchase Order, he replied that his university does not provide P.O.'s for translations because Finland is a corruption-free country (!).

This mention of Finland as a "corruption-free country" is plain suspicious: are scammers going to be "based" in Finland from now on, to exploit Finland's goodwill?

It is best not to take care of this translation altogether until you can talk with this professor via the University's phone number you researched yourself, not a number provided by this person as some colleague suggested!

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Alemanha
alemão para inglês
+ ...
Stinks to high heaven Dec 29, 2011

No matter if the professor is legitimate or not, it is entirely unprofessional behavior not to provide a PO and even odder that your quote was accepted without asking for any credentials, references, etc. At least, you don't mention that you were asked for them. So far it doesn't appear to be an advance-fee scam, but could be someone trying to get a free translation for whatever reason.

I would not touch it. Do you know how this person happened to find you and why you were selected?

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
Reino Unido
Local time: 16:09
finlandês para inglês
POs are the norm in Finland Dec 29, 2011

I generally get one

What is the name of the University?

neilmac
neilmac
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Forewarned is forearmed Dec 29, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

If the University is in its Christmas holidays, and therefore you cannot check this person yourself... it would be safer not to do the job.

Well said Tomás! It should be easy enough to contract the university/dept/person in question.

However, I must add that I have never had a "PO" from any of my several academic clients over the past decade, expect perhaps once, for an EU funding application, but that was a prerequisite stipulated by the EU.

neilmac
neilmac
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Gizza job Dec 29, 2011

Anne Stevens wrote:

Someone who claims to be a university professor in Finland asked me to quote on a large translation. He accepted my quote and stated the university would pay my fee upon completion. When I asked for a Purchase Order, he replied that his university does not provide P.O.'s for translations because Finland is a corruption-free country (!).

What do you think?

I don't know if the proposition is legitimate or not, but might be prepared to undertake the job if the price, format, deadline and subject matter is right...

When working with university lecturers or researchers, they usually approach me by recommendation. We agree the terms and I bill them at the end of the job, to the dept or address that they provide. POs per se do not usually come into the equation.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2003)
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Just protect yourself Dec 30, 2011

Minimize your risks. I'd ask this well-educated, non-corrupt professor to pay 50%, if not all, up front.

Some academics live in a bubble and start losing contact with reality. The idiotic statement about no corruption in a country like Finland could very well have come from the mouth of an academic elite.

I doubt you'll reach an agreement with this clown. My advice is to look elsewhere.

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finlândia
Local time: 18:09
finlandês para inglês
+ ...
Well.... Dec 30, 2011

I can assure you that Finland is not corruption free!

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 10:09
Membro (2008)
croata para inglês
+ ...
Maybe not corruption-free, but up there, apparently... Dec 30, 2011

Graeme Waller wrote:

I can assure you that Finland is not corruption free!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 11:09
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
As with any private client... Dec 30, 2011

it is in your best interest to always collect at least 50% up front like most agencies do. And if the professor does not wish to call it a P.O., how about a written and signed agreement?

Anne Stevens wrote:

What do you think?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

University in Finland does not provide P.O. = possible scam?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »