Sandra Malo Jarque
Sandra Malo Jarque  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 23:59
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
My profile has been stolen by them Feb 27, 2012

Hi everybody,
thanks a lot for all the information you're sharing. A colleague has told me my profile from Translatorscafé had been stolen, and it's true: http://sto.eu5.org/meriem.nicole.html
I'm pretty frustated and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have a piece of advice?
Thanks!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 05:59
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
A suggestion Feb 27, 2012

Maybe those whose profiles were stolen and altered can email the hosting company responsible of the eu5.org domain, and ask them to suspend the website in question, or face legal action on your part.

The company is in Holland, according to the Whois information of the domain:

Registrant ID:DI_10324845
Registrant Name:FreeWebHostingArea.com
Registrant Organization:FreeWebHostingArea.com
Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 97
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Moergestel
Registrant State/Province:Zuid-Holland
Registrant Postal Code:5066
Registrant Country:NL
Registrant Phone:+45.36946676
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[email protected]

Giving them a call several times and become a nuisance could also be useful.

Maria Teresa Dominguez
Maria Teresa Dominguez  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Please read the answer STO sent me after enquiring about the membership: Feb 27, 2012

"Dear Maria Teresa Dominguez,
Thank you for your interest in the STO Membership and Certification.

We are delighted to inform you, we are in Business since several years, we displayed in our website only translation agencies and translators that join us within this year.

We are an international Translation Association, and are our own reference, Associations and translators , translation agencies use us as reference.

To enable us to process your a
... See more
"Dear Maria Teresa Dominguez,
Thank you for your interest in the STO Membership and Certification.

We are delighted to inform you, we are in Business since several years, we displayed in our website only translation agencies and translators that join us within this year.

We are an international Translation Association, and are our own reference, Associations and translators , translation agencies use us as reference.

To enable us to process your application you will need to submit the following items.

( ) Completed application form
( ) Full CV
( ) Identity Card
( ) Recent photograph
( ) Proof of relevant qualifications
( ) the language pair(s) and direction(s) of the certification should be provided to most accurately reflect the certification.

Pleased find attached the STO Membership Application Form which we would appreciate you completing, singing and returning to us.

Once we have received the required documents, we will provide you with the required details regarding our billing agent to transfer the payment via western union. After the payment is done you will receive your Membership along with the practice test to get your accreditation Certificate.

A website will be created to you, adding a logo and a visit card, you will be also displayed in our website.

The practice test that offers the candidate three passages of about 230 to 280 words each. Two of these passages must be translated. Passage A is required. Candidates must choose either Passage B or Passage C (but not both).

Passage A must be translated. It is a general text that expresses a view, sets forth an argument or presents a new idea. Examples: a newspaper editorial, an essay, a non-fiction book.

Passage B may be technical, scientific or medical in content. It may be written by an expert, but not for other experts in that field. Examples: a patient education brochure, operating or installation instructions, an encyclopedia article.

Passage C may be financial, business or legal in the broadest sense. It may be written by an expert, but not for other experts in that field. Examples: a contract or lease, a financial report, a government regulation.

Each type of examination passage is chosen in such a way as to avoid highly specialized terminology challenges requiring research. There are indeed terminology challenges, but they can be met with a good general dictionary and a general specialty dictionary (medical, technical, legal, financial).

If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

S T O Successful Translators Organization"
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Polonia
Membro (2002)
Da Inglese a Russo
+ ...

Moderatore
SITE LOCALIZER
Excellent :-) Feb 27, 2012

Maria Teresa Dominguez wrote:

Once we have received the required documents, we will provide you with the required details regarding our billing agent to transfer the payment via western union.

And that's it.

The "Successful Translators Organization" has no bank account

Spagna
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
They even copied ATA web pages!! Feb 27, 2012

Oh my goodness. Someone should definitely sue these people. They even copy parts of ATAs web pages?

Just chech ATA's page about the certification programme.

I am definitely reporting this matter to ATA in case they want to sue these people, which they probably will. Their identity can be found out via the hosting company.

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
Francia
Da Inglese a Francese
+ ...
- Feb 28, 2012

Sandra Malo Jarque wrote:

Hi everybody,
thanks a lot for all the information you're sharing. A colleague has told me my profile from Translatorscafé had been stolen, and it's true: http://sto.eu5.org/meriem.nicole.html
I'm pretty frustated and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have a piece of advice?
Thanks!

Contact them and threat them / put pressure on them, I am sure they will remove it quickly.
Be polite and professional of course!

ENLASO
ENLASO  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 21:59
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
ENLASO says "No!" to STO Feb 28, 2012

Thanks to one of our vendors pointing out the STO site to us, we found STO using our logo without permission. We are not involved with this 'organization' in any way. Thanks for all of your eagle eyes!
John Watkins
President
ENLASO Corporation

Sandra Malo Jarque
Sandra Malo Jarque  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 23:59
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Thanks Feb 28, 2012

Frankie J. B. wrote:
Contact them and threat them / put pressure on them, I am sure they will remove it quickly.
Be polite and professional of course!

Thank you, Frankie. The problem is that I don't really know where to write to make sure they are going to read it. But I'll try the host address another colleague posted before.

Curri Barcelo Avila
Curri Barcelo Avila  Identity Verified
Spagna
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
More notes about this Feb 28, 2012

Now it seems that their "home" page isn't working, as it takes me to a "free webhosting" page (so another page annoucing free webhosting). Also, I tried to post it on Facebook, onto a Translator's group and I gor the following message:

[translated from Spanish]
"This publication contains a blocked URL.
Te content you are trying to share includes a link that has been blocked for being spam or non-secure:

6te.net
ueuo.com
freetzi.com

F
... See more
Now it seems that their "home" page isn't working, as it takes me to a "free webhosting" page (so another page annoucing free webhosting). Also, I tried to post it on Facebook, onto a Translator's group and I gor the following message:

[translated from Spanish]
"This publication contains a blocked URL.
Te content you are trying to share includes a link that has been blocked for being spam or non-secure:

6te.net
ueuo.com
freetzi.com

For more information, please visit the "Help service" page. If you think it is an error, please let us know"

I know it still doesn't mean 100% that it is a scam, but I am sure Mark Zückerberg spends loads of money to avoid their social network from being hacked.
Collapse

ENLASO
ENLASO  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 21:59
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Page deactivated Feb 28, 2012

The hosting company appears to have deactivated the site.
John

Spagna
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
A battle won! Feb 28, 2012

But surely the war is not over. Let's keep our eyes open for these guys again!

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM: Succesful Translators Organization (STO) / Intlangua / FEA / WTACA

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »