Tony M
Frankreich
Local time: 03:17
Mitglied
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 26, 2012

Over several days, I've been receiving a spate of purportedly 'urgent' messages, claiming that I have been over-debited a certain amount on my 'Orange' phone bill, and that they need my details so they can re-imburse me. This is similar to a scam I have previously received, though never before so many of them in such a short space of time.

Although the message at a cursory glance looks as if it might be from 'Orange' (logos, etc.), it's pretty obvious that it does not corresp
... See more
Over several days, I've been receiving a spate of purportedly 'urgent' messages, claiming that I have been over-debited a certain amount on my 'Orange' phone bill, and that they need my details so they can re-imburse me. This is similar to a scam I have previously received, though never before so many of them in such a short space of time.

Although the message at a cursory glance looks as if it might be from 'Orange' (logos, etc.), it's pretty obvious that it does not correspond to their usual graphic style, and it contains a number of giveaway errors.

Another surefire warning sign is the 'link' they ask you to click on: although the label you see looks as if it might plausibly be for 'Orange', when you mouse over it, the actual URL it would send you to is clearly totally unrelated.

So this is a warning to all my colleagues who may be customers of Orange France and might through inattention get caught by this one!

[Edited at 2012-03-26 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 21:17
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
A similar scam Mar 26, 2012

is circulating here in the States (at least in Ohio) purportedly coming from AT&T, with all the genuine-looking logos, etc. Those emails never address you by name.

Just remember, whenever you're asked to provide personal information, incl. user name and password, delete immediately!!

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
Report as Abuse Mar 26, 2012

Report it to [email protected].

[Edited at 2012-03-26 15:04 GMT]

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
Thanks for the warning Tony Mar 26, 2012

Just had a look and got something similar, but use my orange account through gmail which automatically dumped it in the "spam".

I've also been pestered with phone calls supposedly from them about my new phone number, and have checked with them and they say it is not their policy to phone people unless you've requested support.

I was suspicious that the number was "withheld" - it's usually a marketing irritation, and they say you always see a number if it's their tec
... See more
Just had a look and got something similar, but use my orange account through gmail which automatically dumped it in the "spam".

I've also been pestered with phone calls supposedly from them about my new phone number, and have checked with them and they say it is not their policy to phone people unless you've requested support.

I was suspicious that the number was "withheld" - it's usually a marketing irritation, and they say you always see a number if it's their technicians or offices.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FRANCE: 'Orange' phishing scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »