Konuyu gönderen: Tom Feise
Tom Feise
Tom Feise  Identity Verified
Almanya
Local time: 08:31
İngilizce > Almanca
+ ...
Apr 11, 2012

I think the headline says it all, you can't complain about anyone who is not in the blue board, or listed in the (although excellent) scam reports... b t they do not qualify as an entry in the scam report, they are just non-payers, scam artist, people luring you in for a ten Euro job with prospects of lots more and then they come out ith asking questions to mo p their google translations... we know the kind...

they are fly by nights, cheat you out of jobs, out of your time, then it
... See more
I think the headline says it all, you can't complain about anyone who is not in the blue board, or listed in the (although excellent) scam reports... b t they do not qualify as an entry in the scam report, they are just non-payers, scam artist, people luring you in for a ten Euro job with prospects of lots more and then they come out ith asking questions to mo p their google translations... we know the kind...

they are fly by nights, cheat you out of jobs, out of your time, then it takes months to chase up thier payment, I am have scavenging one for four months now, but how do you pick the pocket of a naked man, or so he claims to be?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Polonya
Üye (2002)
İngilizce > Rusça
+ ...

MODERATÖR
SİTE YERELLEŞTİRİCİ
Some answers Apr 11, 2012

Hi Tom,

Actually, I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

In case the outsourcer is not on the Blue Board, you can add them.
In case the outsourcer is on the Blue Board, and you have worked for them, and delivered the job in time and there was no complaint re quality of your work, you have the right to make an entry for them.
In case you have done a few small jobs, and the outsourcer does not pay, stop working for them.
In case the jobs were poste
... See more
Hi Tom,

Actually, I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

In case the outsourcer is not on the Blue Board, you can add them.
In case the outsourcer is on the Blue Board, and you have worked for them, and delivered the job in time and there was no complaint re quality of your work, you have the right to make an entry for them.
In case you have done a few small jobs, and the outsourcer does not pay, stop working for them.
In case the jobs were posted at ProZ.com, have you submitted a ticket re non-payment?

Finally, have you subscribed to notifications about attempts of scamming translators?
Translators scam alert center - http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/default

Natalia

[Edited at 2012-04-11 20:47 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
İspanya
Üye (2005)
İngilizce > İspanyolca
+ ...
Add them! Apr 11, 2012

Add them to the Blueboard!

Tom Feise
Tom Feise  Identity Verified
Almanya
İngilizce > Almanca
+ ...
KONUYU BAŞLATAN
thanks for your comments Apr 11, 2012

a) I tried adding them to the blue board, which didn't work, because they seem to have been on there but have since disappeared.
b) I had a similar case before, and I figured, why should I post someone on the blue board, who should actually be on a black list? Once they're on there, they'll most likely reappear under a different name anyway. And I am subscribed to the scam newsletter (which is very good).
c) I am very much aware of the libel and other issues, as I do a lot of work on
... See more
a) I tried adding them to the blue board, which didn't work, because they seem to have been on there but have since disappeared.
b) I had a similar case before, and I figured, why should I post someone on the blue board, who should actually be on a black list? Once they're on there, they'll most likely reappear under a different name anyway. And I am subscribed to the scam newsletter (which is very good).
c) I am very much aware of the libel and other issues, as I do a lot of work on the legal field, also copyrights and the like, and I am simply getting a bit peeved with the do-goody attitude and not-naming-the-culprits atmosphere. So the IRS is chasing foreigners for their tax dollars, so why shouldn't we chase the unsavory agencies and outsourcers there?

I understand the litigation risk problems (which by the way are like in most other cases way over the top in the States and probably just a way for law firms to make huge profits), but I can still say what is wrong, or can't I?

In any case, anyone who WANTS TO FIND OUT WHO MY PET-PEEVES AS FAR as clients go are can ask via direct email. There is nothing wrong with me telling you about some of the crooks about privately.

I am also subscribed to a few other translation platforms, but must say that this is still one of the best ones. There is a lot of information such as average rates of pay etc., and good and worthwhile contacts, but with the membership ProZ now has it should also start to develop a bit of a bite towards the outsourcers, as it were, such as notify new posters that their rates are, let's say, way below average or simply out of the question (don't you just hate the "give us your best rate" or "low budget for an impoverished family friend of a new start-up entrepeneur"). Funnily enough, these people all end up on transl...dir...y and other places... and get what they pay for, and it then turns up here for "proofing" and "improving", hehehe.

I will also not acept any jobs, even here from ProZ, which are obviously for websites which will or can be illegal or marginally legal in the country of the target language. I had one (which was actually one of the original reasons for this posting) who was claiming to have a website translated for a friend (for almost free, but on a tight deadline), and after the initial short text it turned to become something much bigger, which was to develop into something nobody in the target audience would ever take serious (commercially or otherwise). I told them so, and they did the translation themselves through google (cheap, and cheap), and wanted me to edit and proof etc, for peanuts. Needless to say what I did (or didn't do).
They still write every now and then, asking for corrections...
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Almanya
Üye (2009)
İngilizce > Almanca
+ ...
Previous BB entries Apr 12, 2012

Perhaps you could submit a support request to ProZ moderators, who might be able to see whether this outsourcers has had indeed a previous BB record, even under a different name.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
İspanya
Local time: 07:31
Üye (2007)
İngilizce
+ ...
Should you be judge, jury and executioner? Apr 12, 2012

Tom Feise wrote:
So the IRS is chasing foreigners for their tax dollars, so why shouldn't we chase the unsavory agencies and outsourcers there?

But the IRS is a (supposedly) highly responsible and organised government body. You can assume that if they say someone has been deliberately defrauding them, they probably have good reason to say so. On the other hand, ProZ users are individuals who are liable to make value judgements from a very biased viewpoint. Some users, out of the many thousands registered, might well want to denounce an outsourcer for nonpayment when in actual fact they have not provided anything worth paying for. Why should a reputable outsourcer be denounced on the whim of a single translator?

In any case, anyone who WANTS TO FIND OUT WHO MY PET-PEEVES AS FAR as clients go are can ask via direct email. There is nothing wrong with me telling you about some of the crooks about privately.

Exactly! And if you post a negative BB comment, users can and will contact you if they wish to have further insight.

As Thayenga says, if you think this is a really bad outsourcer then ProZ may take some action if you send them a support ticket.

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Bu forumun moderatörleri
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

no blue board, no scam report, still a crook

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »