Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think translators are made from a different mould than other professionals?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
To some degree Sep 18, 2023

It takes certain aptitudes and preferences to be a successful translator (though you could say that about any career).

Likewise, many of us face similar challenges and working styles and that leads to some similarities in how translators present themselves to the world. Working from home on projects that make you think hard and focus for long periods can make you a bit introverted and bookish even if you didn't start out that way.

But the translators I meet are a pretty
... See more
It takes certain aptitudes and preferences to be a successful translator (though you could say that about any career).

Likewise, many of us face similar challenges and working styles and that leads to some similarities in how translators present themselves to the world. Working from home on projects that make you think hard and focus for long periods can make you a bit introverted and bookish even if you didn't start out that way.

But the translators I meet are a pretty diverse bunch. We might share some common traits but we're not all the same by any means.
Collapse

Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Mr. Satan (X)
Michele Fauble
mariant
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Local time: 11:53
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Barely agree Sep 18, 2023

Of course, it depends what "other professionals" you're talking about.
However, as I have 2 side jobs and have worked in other fields, I dare say that some of the skills/characteristics of translators (research, writing skills, clear communication, critical thinking…) are also useful in other domains.

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Woulda, coulda, shoulda, moulda Sep 18, 2023

No.

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
'From' not 'in' Sep 22, 2023

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely the phrase is “cast FROM the same mould”? The mould stays the same but what comes out may differ.

To answer the question, like others in this forum my career has been varied. I qualified as a translator and then worked as a civil servant, then as a teacher and finally returned to translation. For each job I have needed different skills. As a teacher I had colleagues who boasted that their lesson preparation could take until late into the evening
... See more
Sorry to be pedantic, but surely the phrase is “cast FROM the same mould”? The mould stays the same but what comes out may differ.

To answer the question, like others in this forum my career has been varied. I qualified as a translator and then worked as a civil servant, then as a teacher and finally returned to translation. For each job I have needed different skills. As a teacher I had colleagues who boasted that their lesson preparation could take until late into the evening, if not the night. I refused to work beyond 20h00 on lesson preparation.

As a translator I work as late as midnight very occasionally on urgent projects for VERY good customers.

So, the mould might be the same, but the product is not.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:53
Greek to English
Both correct but subtle difference in meaning Sep 23, 2023

Anne Maclennan wrote:

'From' not 'in'

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely the phrase is “cast FROM the same mould”?

I would say that both are correct. An item is cast in a mould. Then, after it has been removed from the mould, we say that it was cast from the mould.

The mould stays the same but what comes out may differ.

I don't understand this at all. If you expect to get something different every time, what is the point of having a mould?

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 3, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Anne Maclennan wrote:

The mould stays the same but what comes out may differ.

I don't understand this at all. If you expect to get something different every time, what is the point of having a mould?

Surely it depends what you put in the mould?

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Oct 3, 2023

Anne Maclennan wrote:

I would have made the same correction some time ago, but I would have immediately attracted smartypants ad hominem comments from the usual suspects (you know who you are).

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
different mould Oct 3, 2023

I would say "from a DIFFERENT mould" is correct. They are "di stampo diverso", they are cut from a different cloth.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
This is true for many other jobs Oct 3, 2023

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

It takes a very specific personality to be a translator. For example:
- Willing to accept all kinds of hours and all-nighters
- Accepting most formats
- Always ready to learn new things
- Patient with late-paying clients
- Tactful when their word choices are questioned

Almost all self-employed people, not just for translators

Lingua 5B

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 3, 2023

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

It takes a very specific personality to be a translator. For example:
- Willing to accept all kinds of hours and all-nighters
- Accepting most formats
- Always ready to learn new things
- Patient with late-paying clients
- Tactful when their word choices are questioned

I disagree with most of this list! I'm not willing to accept all kinds of hours, I've never done an all-nighter as a translator. I don't accept formats that don't lend themselves to translation. I'll only agree to a job in Excel if I can copy it seamlessly into Word and back.
I am always ready to learn new things, it's one of things I love most in my job.
I stopped working with the worst paying agency as of January and so far everyone has paid more or less within two months this year. I don't see why I should be patient with a late-paying client, they are usually pretty impatient to receive my translation.
Yes I am tactful nowadays when my word choices are questioned. I will even demonstrate the patience of a monument explaining why their choices won't work.

But I'd say that more importantly, to be a good translator you have to be willing to put in hours working all alone with just your laptop, questioning your every move, checking and checking again, while also resisting all the fun things you can do on your laptop these days. I've seen translators come and go, and the ones who go are mostly bubbly extroverts who can't sit still and be quiet, who presumably have other talents. They usually head off into another job that may require good knowledge of languages, but leaning more heavily on oral rather than written communication.

[Edited at 2023-10-03 13:43 GMT]

Philip Lees
Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think translators are made from a different mould than other professionals?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »