John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:16
Thành viên kể từ 2008
French to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2014

Another scam email just received from [email protected]:

Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, I am a sociologist, i found your e mail address on the translator website, that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article, i will like the article to be translated to French . I will like to know the cost of translating the article, and the deadline is 25th of March 2014.... See more
Another scam email just received from [email protected]:

Hello ,I am Jonathan Cowan, I am a sociologist, i found your e mail address on the translator website, that you are a Translator, i will like you to translate an article for me, i have attached the article, i will like the article to be translated to French . I will like to know the cost of translating the article, and the deadline is 25th of March 2014.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Thank You
Jonathan Cowan

The article was copy/pasted directly from the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Đức
Local time: 04:16
Thành viên kể từ 2009
English to German
+ ...
Another obvious scam Feb 20, 2014

Well, the English in this email is mediocre, sufficiently to at least raise a red flag.

That Mr. Cowan has copied his alledged article from Wikipedia and, above all, believes that you (or anyone else) accept it as his own work, does say a lot about the scammer.

Maybe it's time to "educate" the scammers a little. For one, telling them that everybody who is a professional translator does require quite a lot of brain. In fact, these emails are insulting the translator's in
... See more
Well, the English in this email is mediocre, sufficiently to at least raise a red flag.

That Mr. Cowan has copied his alledged article from Wikipedia and, above all, believes that you (or anyone else) accept it as his own work, does say a lot about the scammer.

Maybe it's time to "educate" the scammers a little. For one, telling them that everybody who is a professional translator does require quite a lot of brain. In fact, these emails are insulting the translator's intelligence.

I hope you sent it to File 13, after you have made an entry in the Translators Scammer Directory.
Collapse

Elisa Cristóbal
Elisa Cristóbal  Identity Verified
Vương Quốc Anh
Local time: 03:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mr Jonathan strikes again Oct 6, 2015

He seems to have "improved" his opening lines since 2014. Here is what I received today (luckily straight to my spam folder):

Hello, I am Mr Jonathan I got your e mail address from an online forum that you are an excellent translator, I guess you would have worked for them. I will like you to translate an article for me, but first i need to know your language combination because it was not stated. I will be very happy if you can reply my e mail ASAP.
Thank You... See more
He seems to have "improved" his opening lines since 2014. Here is what I received today (luckily straight to my spam folder):

Hello, I am Mr Jonathan I got your e mail address from an online forum that you are an excellent translator, I guess you would have worked for them. I will like you to translate an article for me, but first i need to know your language combination because it was not stated. I will be very happy if you can reply my e mail ASAP.
Thank You

I guess he would be happy indeed. Happy of having his article translated from whatever language into any language I might offer.

Regards,

Elisa
Collapse

lormer
lormer
Hoa Kỳ
Local time: 19:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Just got an email from him Mar 30, 2016

As said in my title... I just got an email from him. Same poor English (therefore red flag ) but I decided to reply and see where the scam is: it wasn't a link to wikipedia but a pdf attachment with many "sources" listed at the end of the article.
I quoted him my price, let's see what's his next step. I'll keep you posted, if you want.
CIAO,
Lorena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Điều phối viên của diễn đàn này
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam email

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »