Lorenzo Rossi  Identity Verified
Thụy Điển
Local time: 00:17
Thành viên kể từ 2010
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 2

Hello
I'm using Trados Studio 2017 and 2019 on my PC and on my laptop. Can I upgrade those versions directly to Studio 2022?

Thank you.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Ai Cập
Local time: 01:17
Thành viên kể từ 2002
English to Arabic
+ ...
You can upgrade Jun 2

Yes, I've just purchased an upgrade from Studio 2019 Freelance Plus to 2022 Freelance using a discount that ended May 31st. The deal comes with a Sudio 2024 license when it becomes available.

You can check the current prices for the upgrade through the following link:
https://www.trados.com/pricing/

Lorenzo Rossi
Lorenzo Rossi  Identity Verified
Thụy Điển
Thành viên kể từ 2010
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 3

But from 2017 to 2022?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Hà Lan
Thành viên kể từ 2006
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, and it gets worse... Jun 3

Lorenzo Rossi wrote:
But from 2017 to 2022?

No, but you used to be able to upgrade from a previous Freelance version to a newer Freelance Plus version, which would give you two installs instead of one. However, they've now removed that options. You can upgrade from Plus to non-Plus but not from non-Plus to Plus.

Upgrade from 2019 Plus to 2022 Plus = EUR 1050
Upgrade from 2019 Plus to 2022 non-Plus = EUR 680
Upgrade from 2019 non-Plus to 2022 Plus = no longer possible
Buy 2022 non-Plus outright = EUR 760

It's not surprising that you can't upgrade from 2017 because there is not much difference between the price of new Trados and the price of upgrading from 2019. The price for upgrading from 2017 would end up being the same as the price for new Trados:

Upgrade from 2019 to 2022 = £585
Buy 2022 new = £645

[Edited at 2024-06-03 07:51 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
Vương Quốc Anh
Local time: 23:17
Thành viên kể từ 2014
Japanese to English
Subscription Jun 3

Samuel Murray wrote:
Upgrade from 2019 Plus to 2022 Plus = EUR 1050

This is what I looked at, and I think in sterling it was about £905.

I can only imagine that these prices are set deliberately high with the intention of driving people to the yearly subscription of around £250. Or that they simply don't want people to use the offline version anymore and are trying to dissuade them. It certainly doesn't do anything to encourage me to upgrade.

No matter. In my niche Phrase (formerly Memsource) has gone from negligible market share to dominant position over the course of the past six years, almost completely eclipsing Trados in the process.

In the most recent earnings season I could have counted Trados packages sent by the client on the fingers of one hand. The rest (nearly 70 projects) were all done in Phrase Desktop Editor. In 2018 that would have been 100% Trados. I guess that's what happens when a developer stops adding meaningful new functionality - as opposed to cosmetic or minor convenience tweaks - to a product, but still prices upgrades at a premium.

Regards,
Dan

Andrus Lauringson
Stepan Konev

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Vương Quốc Anh
English to Italian
Phrase Jun 3

Dan Lucas wrote:

No matter. In my niche Phrase (formerly Memsource) has gone from negligible market share to dominant position over the course of the past six years, almost completely eclipsing Trados in the process.

My Phrase plan was switched from the Team Start @ EUR 310/year to LSP Professional @ EUR 1,000/year automatically... needless to say, I'll have to go back to the Freelancer plan, which is a downgrade, but I'm not paying that...

Dan Lucas

Andrus Lauringson
Andrus Lauringson  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 01:17
Thành viên kể từ 2022
English to Estonian
Different approaches Jun 3

I noticed a minor bug in Phrase Desktop Editor, an issue that doesn’t affect 99% of users in any way. Told the Phrase helpdesk, got a reply pretty soon, promising to fix it and offering temporary solutions. They fixed it, notified me that it’s been fixed, and asked if I’m happy with the support.

Had an issue with Trados, when it instantly crashed if I tried to confirm certain segments in a client’s files, losing any work I had done before autosave. The same issue repeated wi
... See more
I noticed a minor bug in Phrase Desktop Editor, an issue that doesn’t affect 99% of users in any way. Told the Phrase helpdesk, got a reply pretty soon, promising to fix it and offering temporary solutions. They fixed it, notified me that it’s been fixed, and asked if I’m happy with the support.

Had an issue with Trados, when it instantly crashed if I tried to confirm certain segments in a client’s files, losing any work I had done before autosave. The same issue repeated with another client’s files. Asked about that in Trados support forum, the response after a while from another user was basically "it is what it is".

Some established software producers should step up their game a bit to justify the hefty price tag.
A website with stock photo models who seem to think translating is absolutely hilarious just doesn’t quite cut it.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Vương Quốc Anh
English to Italian
Great support... Jun 3

from Phrase. No question about that. What I question is increasing my subscription trifold, mentioning all the extra stuff they've added, most of which is useless to me. They just did it, without asking me and they charged my card automatically at renewal. I could not even cancel the payment.

EDIT: they did warn me a month before, but I thought they would offer me the chance to switch. Nope. They told me to contact them, which I did, and no reply. Payment went through. A bit crazy,
... See more
from Phrase. No question about that. What I question is increasing my subscription trifold, mentioning all the extra stuff they've added, most of which is useless to me. They just did it, without asking me and they charged my card automatically at renewal. I could not even cancel the payment.

EDIT: they did warn me a month before, but I thought they would offer me the chance to switch. Nope. They told me to contact them, which I did, and no reply. Payment went through. A bit crazy, if you ask me...

[Edited at 2024-06-03 12:17 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
Vương Quốc Anh
Thành viên kể từ 2014
Japanese to English
Not acceptable Jun 4

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
A bit crazy, if you ask me...

One hopes it was a genuine mistake, but they shouldn't be making mistakes with that amount of money.

Dan

Vương Quốc Anh
English to Italian
Nope... Jun 4

Dan Lucas wrote:

One hopes it was a genuine mistake, but they shouldn't be making mistakes with that amount of money.

Dan

It wasn't... they still haven't switched me to the new, cheaper plan and refunded the difference. Terrible.

Vương Quốc Anh
English to Italian
All done now... Jun 5

plan changed, money refunded...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to Trados Studio 2022

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »