английский => польский
Jan 9, 2006

I recently noticed the following scenario:

- a person asks a KudoZ question
- gets several answers
- leaves the question open
- comes back after some time and asks another question
- his/her list of open questions grows

When I see an asker with 10 or 20 open questions, I usually ask him politely to close them but this hardly ever works.
That's why I think we need a feature which would prohibit asking new questions until the old ones have b
... See more
I recently noticed the following scenario:

- a person asks a KudoZ question
- gets several answers
- leaves the question open
- comes back after some time and asks another question
- his/her list of open questions grows

When I see an asker with 10 or 20 open questions, I usually ask him politely to close them but this hardly ever works.
That's why I think we need a feature which would prohibit asking new questions until the old ones have been graded.

Joanna

[Edited at 2006-01-09 22:12]
Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
английский => немецкий
+ ...
This has aolrady been introduced Jan 9, 2006

If you have 5 or more questions open for more than one week you cannot ask new ones before closing the old ones. I think this is strict enough in order not to turn Kudoz from a useful tool into an obstacle for working.

It should be clear, from a professional point of view that, while translating a text, one cannot ask and then come back to every single question before he would be allowed to place a new one. When would we do our work in this case?

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Памяти
I have to disagree Jan 9, 2006

Hi there,
Here's my scenario. I recently asked a series of difficult questions, and one was about old Italian. The people who answered were convinced that something was missing. I sent a question to my customer, but the office was closed over Christmas. I'm still waiting for the answer! I added a comment asking my answerers to be patient, as I was waiting for further information. No one seemed to have a problem with that, as they too were curious. In the meantime, I closed other open quest
... See more
Hi there,
Here's my scenario. I recently asked a series of difficult questions, and one was about old Italian. The people who answered were convinced that something was missing. I sent a question to my customer, but the office was closed over Christmas. I'm still waiting for the answer! I added a comment asking my answerers to be patient, as I was waiting for further information. No one seemed to have a problem with that, as they too were curious. In the meantime, I closed other open questions.
By your reasoning, if I need to ask other questions I'd be forced to close my open question by (1) randomly choosing an answer (and what good does that do to the Kudoz glossary?), or (2) closing without grading (not really fair to those who took time to answer... and again, what good does that do to the Kudoz glossary?). Yet if I need to ask another question, with your system I'd simply have to hurry up and close the question. Furthermore, it can happen that people have a set of questions and need to hurry to send off the work. We do have deadlines!! And they generally come back when the job has been turned in to close their questions. Let's remember the point of Kudoz and of the entire Proz concept! It's to HELP us work better, not to serve as a hindrance or yet another deadline.
I really can't see much point in changing things, but I can certainly see plenty of problems with your idea.
FWIW,
Catherine
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Украина
Local time: 06:13
Член ProZ.com c 2004
английский => русский
+ ...
A limitation works Jan 9, 2006

Dear Ryfka,

As far as I know there is a limitation implemented: if a person has 5 open questions (s)he cannot ask a new one until one of the open questions isn't closed.

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Польша
английский => польский
Автор темы
Thanks for your feedback Jan 9, 2006

Steffen Pollex wrote:

If you have 5 or more questions open for more than one week you cannot ask new ones before closing the old ones. I think this is strict enough in order not to turn Kudoz from a useful tool into an obstacle for working.

It's good to hear it, although I'm not sure whether this feature is working properly. I know cases of askers who have many open questions (very old ones) and still are able to ask new ones.

It should be clear, from a professional point of view that, while translating a text, one cannot ask and then come back to every single question before he would be allowed to place a new one. When would we do our work in this case?

Sure, there's no question about it. I wasn't suggesting anything like that. I was just trying to think how we could cope with those askers who _notoriously_ leave their questions open for months, that's all.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, everyone.

Best regards,

Joanna

[Edited at 2006-01-09 22:34]

Balttext
Balttext  Identity Verified
Латвия
Local time: 06:13
английский => латышский
+ ...
deadlines vs. effort Jan 10, 2006

cbolton wrote:

Furthermore, it can happen that people have a set of questions and need to hurry to send off the work. We do have deadlines!! And they generally come back when the job has been turned in to close their questions. Let's remember the point of Kudoz and of the entire Proz concept! It's to HELP us work better, not to serve as a hindrance or yet another deadline.

True, this should not become yet another deadline to worry about, however, maybe there still should be a time limitation (say 2 months?) on any number (even a single one) of open questions. Sure, we probably grade after the job is done, but in my opinion it should me clear after 1-2 months, whether the suggested answers were of use or not.

As much as I do not want Kudoz to turn into yet another deadline, I strongly disagree of turning it into yet another free-of-charge way to use the time and effort of those who tried to help out. Even if they were wrong, grading might help them improve their skills, terminology knowledge, etc. Not to have askers with questions open from 2004 or so.

Regards,

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making Askers close old questions before asking a new one

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »