Iniziatore argomento: Campman
Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Paesi Bassi
Local time: 17:02
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
Feb 7, 2013

Each time when I use the Search or Search & Replace function, I cannot close the pop-up window with the Esc-key.
There is no other software I use where you have to use MOUSE in stead of the Esc-key to close a pop-up window (as a hard-core keyboard user I don't like to be forced to use the mouse, mouse slows down).

I noticed that before I click the button "Find" or press Enter, the window does close with the Esc-key.

This is a comment posted in hopes that the Star
... See more
Each time when I use the Search or Search & Replace function, I cannot close the pop-up window with the Esc-key.
There is no other software I use where you have to use MOUSE in stead of the Esc-key to close a pop-up window (as a hard-core keyboard user I don't like to be forced to use the mouse, mouse slows down).

I noticed that before I click the button "Find" or press Enter, the window does close with the Esc-key.

This is a comment posted in hopes that the Star Company ever looks in this forum and responds (with further development) to user's feedback.

[Edited at 2013-02-07 23:51 GMT]
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
can't replicate Feb 8, 2013

Sorry, can't replicate your problem.
I open a project, open a language pair, press CTRL+F for Search and Replace, then search and replace something, (one or two different searches and replacements), press ESC and the window is closed.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
Francia
Membro (2011)
Da Francese a Inglese
@squires Feb 8, 2013

This is simply untrue (unless it has been corrected in SP6).

First of all, in SP5 Build 1050.7, Ctrl-F does not bring up the Find/Replace dialog, simply the Find dialog (which for that matter doesn't include a Replace menu item, despite the dialog's title "Find/Replace"!!!). You have to press Ctrl-H to effectively Find AND Replace.

Secondly, it is NOT called Search and Replace but Find/Replace (the standard term, as in Microsoft Office for that matter).

A
... See more
This is simply untrue (unless it has been corrected in SP6).

First of all, in SP5 Build 1050.7, Ctrl-F does not bring up the Find/Replace dialog, simply the Find dialog (which for that matter doesn't include a Replace menu item, despite the dialog's title "Find/Replace"!!!). You have to press Ctrl-H to effectively Find AND Replace.

Secondly, it is NOT called Search and Replace but Find/Replace (the standard term, as in Microsoft Office for that matter).

A bit more precision in posts in a forum dedicated to translation, where accuracy is of paramount importance, wouldn't go amiss.
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
sorry Feb 8, 2013

I am using the German interface and didn't know exactly how it's called in English. I just used the common label "Search and replace" but everyone can understand, what I mean.
In my first attempt (post above) I used CTRL+F, and changed with mouse to "Find/Replace".
Now, with CTRL+H. After CTRL+H and some examples with "find" and replace, I can close the window with ESC.

[Edited at 2013-02-08 14:02 GMT]

Campman
Paesi Bassi
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Standard Windows keystrokes Feb 8, 2013

Ctrl + F for Find and Ctlr + H for Find & Replace are the standard keystrokes in the Windows environment, let's not get fuzzy - sorry - fussy about that . I appreciate any effort to anwer a question....

[Edited at 2013-02-08 14:29 GMT]

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
can't Feb 10, 2013

Can't replicate it. Maybe you're changing from this window to the main window?
What operating system do you use? Do you use any special applications like with autohotkey?

Campman
Paesi Bassi
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Programming flaw Feb 11, 2013

Windows 7 Home Premium, no special keys.
The behaviour of the ESC key feels like a slipup in the programming.

I press Ctrl+F to Find a term.
I need to drag the borders first to see the entire content of the popup window.
I can also press the Enter-key (blind routine) to start the search action.

If the term is found, I can use the Esc-key to close the Find & Replace window and go back to the main window.

If the term is not found, or if the
... See more
Windows 7 Home Premium, no special keys.
The behaviour of the ESC key feels like a slipup in the programming.

I press Ctrl+F to Find a term.
I need to drag the borders first to see the entire content of the popup window.
I can also press the Enter-key (blind routine) to start the search action.

If the term is found, I can use the Esc-key to close the Find & Replace window and go back to the main window.

If the term is not found, or if the term is found for the last time [display of pop-up message "Transit has finished searching the document" with OK button] , and I press Enter (OK) to close that message window, the cursor automatically moves to the main window and I can't close the pop-up window with the Esc-key. Of course... the cursor is no longer in the pop-up window, but in the main window... Annoying

So it looks as if as long as this message "Transit has finished searching the document" has not appeared, the Esc-key works in the Find & Replace Window. After display of this message, the cursor shifts to the main window and the Esc key affects the main window, not the popup window.

[Edited at 2013-02-11 08:54 GMT]
Collapse

Benjamin Phister (X)
Benjamin Phister (X)  Identity Verified
Da Francese a Inglese
To close the DBO, click Ctrl-F and then Esc Feb 11, 2013

Hello.

I have the same problem with NXT under Windows 7 Professional.

The only way I've found to close the Find dialog box from the keyboard once the focus is on another window (such as Targe language) is to press Ctrl-F again. Then you can close it with Esc.

Ben

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
Francia
Membro (2011)
Da Francese a Inglese
Confirmed Feb 11, 2013

I can confirm that when the Find/Replace dialog loses focus, you have to either click in it again or press Ctrl-F before you can dismiss it with Esc.
If you hate the mouse, press Ctrl-F then Esc. If you like the mouse, just click the x in the top right-hand corner of the Find/Replace dialog.

Campman
Paesi Bassi
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Ieeek a mouse! Feb 11, 2013

I'm a hard-core blind typing keyboard user (I assumed every professional text worker is....) and I find it a bit disappointing that Transit NXT did not copy all of the basic standard Windows keystrokes in its software.

Transit NXT for that matter has too much "compulsory mouse" to my liking. Or keyboard shortcuts that give you instant RSI. (Alt-T, or Alt+G+other key).

Anyway. This repeated Ctrl+F sounds as a doable workaround.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT: cannot close pop-up windows with Esc-key

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »