Charles Jones  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 22:16
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
主题发起人
Windows on an MBA Dec 4, 2011

David Jessop wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?

Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!

Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is my marriage on the line here!

Cheers,
Charles

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 15:16
正式会员 (自2008)
Croatian克罗地亚语译成English英语
+ ...
Installing without an optical drive Dec 4, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Cheers,
Charles

Install from an ISO image you've saved on a USB stick after making it from the Windows DVD on another computer (which will indeed have to have an optical drive):

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

I'd reconsider not getting the external optical drive though. It doesn't have to be a Superdrive - most any all-purpose drive will work with a Mac. They're really cheap nowadays (over here, starting at about $45 for a basic USB-powered portable) that it may be easier just to get one (and have it to use later, of course) than jump through hoops to avoid it for a single installation.

HTH. I'm into this myself now, as I'm about to dive into installing Windows on the brand new Macbook Pro 13 I bought (ahem!) "for my wife". Of course, she'll get it back eventually, after I check out the installation thoroughly... )

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
老挝
会员
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
USB stick Dec 5, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

David Jessop wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?

Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!

Cheers,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes, I did it with a (16 GB) USB stick, absolutely no problems whatsoever. There are lots of resources you can Google to help you but it was quite seamless.

It's up to you but I would recommend partitioning around 40 GB space for Windows; then you can share document folders from the Mac partition with that 40 GB mainly being for programs. That's what I did, have installed loads of programs, and still have around 10 GB remaining.

Good luck, send me a PM if I can help with anything.

David

Charles Jones
Charles Jones  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 22:16
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
主题发起人
All done and dusted! Dec 10, 2011

In the end, I bought myself a superdrive as a kind of early Christmas present. I chickened out, I suppose! I have now installed everything perfectly, and will get down to doing some work to justify (and pay for) all this kit!

We should set up some kind of mac community/lobby within proz to help each other out!

That´s it - you have all been a great help - my thanks to everyone.

All the best, Charles

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
哈萨克斯坦
Local time: 01:16
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
Mac community to help each other Dec 11, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

In the end, I bought myself a superdrive as a kind of early Christmas present. I chickened out, I suppose! I have now installed everything perfectly, and will get down to doing some work to justify (and pay for) all this kit!

We should set up some kind of mac community/lobby within proz to help each other out!

That´s it - you have all been a great help - my thanks to everyone.

All the best, Charles

Totally agree to mac lobby idea the discussion is very helpful - I've encountered the same problem here, looking for a Translation CAT tool that would work with my MacBook. Thanks for help!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 21:16
正式会员 (自2009)
Dutch荷兰语译成English英语
+ ...
Technical forums > Apple/Mac operating systems Dec 11, 2011

There actually already is one here: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems-68.html

话题中的页数:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a macbook air with Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »