Téma indítója: Hwaet
Hwaet
Hwaet
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 14:47
francia - angol
+ ...
May 12, 2014

Hi, I'm new in the forums here. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for.

My university has no translation programs for live languages, and frankly, I was strongly discouraged from pursuing a career in translation. The uni only has one (rarely offered) French-to-English translation class, and I was not allowed to take it because I was considered too advanced by the time it was actually offered. I am now completing an MA in French literatu
... See more
Hi, I'm new in the forums here. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for.

My university has no translation programs for live languages, and frankly, I was strongly discouraged from pursuing a career in translation. The uni only has one (rarely offered) French-to-English translation class, and I was not allowed to take it because I was considered too advanced by the time it was actually offered. I am now completing an MA in French literature and haven't had the chance to take a French/English translation course. I have done some "fun" translating and a bit of paid translating (for someone within the uni). I feel like I should do some form of training where someone can review my translations...

Can anyone recommend a good program/course for refining the actual translation skills (it seems like the training offered here is more about the business aspects)? It would have to be online because I plan to teach in France for a year, so I'll be stuck where they put me.

I don't know if I will go into professional translating (against the advice of my academic advisers!), but perhaps some training will help me decide, and it won't be wasted either way, as I have a rather long text I want to translate as a personal project.
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 21:47
portugál - angol
City University, London May 12, 2014

I notice you are in the US so maybe this wouldn't suit you, but City Uni, London, does a one year, three module distance learning course, preparing you for the Diploma in Translation (institute of Linguists). You do six translations in each module and get (very) detailed feedback on it. I found it very helpful. No theorizing, just the nitty gritty of what makes a good or bad translation.

Hwaet
Hwaet
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 14:47
francia - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
An American version would be nice May 14, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. That does sound like the sort of program I'm looking for, though I'm worried about stylistic and spelling differences between US and UK English.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Programs/Classes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »