Survey on online tool usage for EU legal translation + helper software beta-testing opportunity
Thread poster: mlabs (X)
mlabs (X)
mlabs (X)
Jun 14, 2010

Dear Translators,

We are a small group of freelance software developers seeking EU legal document translators' online tool usage habits in order to create software easing the usage of such tools and sparing your valuable time.

We invite you to fill in the following tiny survey - while we hope that the result of this survey can be interesting by itself, selected participants will also be invited to take part in the closed beta-testing of our legal translation helper sof
... See more
Dear Translators,

We are a small group of freelance software developers seeking EU legal document translators' online tool usage habits in order to create software easing the usage of such tools and sparing your valuable time.

We invite you to fill in the following tiny survey - while we hope that the result of this survey can be interesting by itself, selected participants will also be invited to take part in the closed beta-testing of our legal translation helper software.

You can complete the survey (in four minutes) at:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFZJbHBza3RTbkFuVXotem9VMk1VUGc6MQ

Also please don't hesitate to share any of your thoughts.

Best regards,
Robin
Collapse

Egils Turks
Egils Turks  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:24
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mistake Jun 15, 2010

You must be quite an inexperienced or careless if you make mistake even in such a tiny document as this questionnaire...

I use only one of these three tools, but in one of questions you ask to provide estimate how much time I spend on EACH of them, otherwise my answer is regarded as wrong.

mlabs (X)
mlabs (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Jun 15, 2010

@Egils: Thank you for the comment, clarified that point. Sorry for the inconvinience!

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:24
English to Danish
+ ...
Interesting... Jun 15, 2010

Especially if you could create a tool that would make it quicker to search the EUR-LEX database for relevant references and terminology.

I often perform advanced searches directly from Google instead of using the EUR-LEX interface to save time but still it can take quite a bit of time to find the relevant documents and/or terms.

MarkAlexande (X)
MarkAlexande (X)
EURLEX lookups Jun 17, 2010

Mette, just as a by-the-way, have you tried Intelliwebsearch to look up terms on EURLEX? I'm amazed at how fast it returns pages. You need to let it monitor your usual lookup procedure once, then you simply highlight the term, press a button and away it goes. I'm finding it useful, for EURLEX in particular. It's freeware, from www.intelliwebsearch.com. It interfaces fine with CAT software and any other a... See more
Mette, just as a by-the-way, have you tried Intelliwebsearch to look up terms on EURLEX? I'm amazed at how fast it returns pages. You need to let it monitor your usual lookup procedure once, then you simply highlight the term, press a button and away it goes. I'm finding it useful, for EURLEX in particular. It's freeware, from www.intelliwebsearch.com. It interfaces fine with CAT software and any other application I've tried it on.

Mark.
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Thank you for the tip! Jun 17, 2010

Thank you for the tip, Mark.

I have heard of Intelliwebsearch before and have been wanting to check it out for quite a while. Maybe now is a good time to get it done

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Internet for translators ß helper and so far... Jun 17, 2010

mlabs wrote:

Dear Translators,

We are a small group of freelance software developers .../..

Best regards,
Robin

I am sorry, if I sound somewhat crude. But, I do not see the usefulness of such tool. The Eurolex translation memories are freely available and can be created for any pair of the CE languages by anyone who knows how to do an alignment. That is, near by all professional translators.

Who needs an online tool, if you can have the same at your own computer for free? And less, since there is a tool like Trados autosuggest (I do not like Trados at all, but I should acknowledge that Trados 2009 has many strong points right now).

As you can read at these same forums, most translators dislike online tools due to confidentiality or economical issues (you may search for this trough the threads about "TAUS", "Translation workspace" and related matters)

regards and good luck,
Pablo B.

[Editado a las 2010-06-17 22:22 GMT]

Mette Melchior
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
EUR-LEX and the DGT-TM Jun 18, 2010

I just wanted to add that even though I also have and use the DGT-TM which Pablo mentions and which is available for download, I still often search the EUR-LEX database online.

The DGT-TM is a great resource to be able to search offline but the current version only contains legislation from before 2007 and not all texts are included. When I need to search for specific directives or regulations, I also search online since the documents are only identified with the CELEX numbers in t
... See more
I just wanted to add that even though I also have and use the DGT-TM which Pablo mentions and which is available for download, I still often search the EUR-LEX database online.

The DGT-TM is a great resource to be able to search offline but the current version only contains legislation from before 2007 and not all texts are included. When I need to search for specific directives or regulations, I also search online since the documents are only identified with the CELEX numbers in the downloadable material.

Furthermore, when I am looking for EU terminology used in a specific context, I often use keywords to narrow the search. Since translation memories only store data in segments it is difficult to do this kind of search in a normal TM. Intelliwebsearch sounds like a good solution to deal with exactly that.
Collapse

mlabs (X)
mlabs (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Good points Jun 18, 2010

Thanks for all these comments, they really help a lot. By highlighting the possible shortcoming of the tool you help us reduce the scope of possible useful function - of course we agree that implementing what already is available would be in vain.

So far there seems to be a slight lack in searching the latest available documents, and augmenting these searches with context sensitivity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on online tool usage for EU legal translation + helper software beta-testing opportunity

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »