Thread poster: Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:15
German to English
Mar 7, 2011

Hello everyone,
I was just reading a little about "Google Cloud Connect" and was wondering what others use for file sharing.

Security is not a significant issue with more or less 100% of my texts, and it would be a big help (particularly for editing work) to be able to directly work on documents together with clients.

I tried out GoogleDocs about a year ago, but gave up because of its limited compatibility with MS Word. I also tried Windows Live SkyDrive and was g
... See more
Hello everyone,
I was just reading a little about "Google Cloud Connect" and was wondering what others use for file sharing.

Security is not a significant issue with more or less 100% of my texts, and it would be a big help (particularly for editing work) to be able to directly work on documents together with clients.

I tried out GoogleDocs about a year ago, but gave up because of its limited compatibility with MS Word. I also tried Windows Live SkyDrive and was generally satisfied, but gave up because only clients with a Hotmail-account can actually collaborate.

Who has had positive experiences: (1) extremely user-friendly for client, (2) very compatible with most Word versions?

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Dropbox Mar 9, 2011

Hello Michael,

I tried Dropbox and it is very user friendly for both parties. The free version has 2GB online storage.

www.dropbox.com/features

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
registration required for collaboration? Mar 9, 2011

Hello,
Thank you very much for responding!

I took a look at the Dropbox site, but it seems to involve the same problem that I have with Microsoft's system: It is possible to give clients very simple access to shared files, but only for viewing and not for collaborative editing.

In order to edit the files, they would have to register with Dropbox. Is that correct? did your clients use the viewing-only mode or were they willing to register?

Sincerely,<
... See more
Hello,
Thank you very much for responding!

I took a look at the Dropbox site, but it seems to involve the same problem that I have with Microsoft's system: It is possible to give clients very simple access to shared files, but only for viewing and not for collaborative editing.

In order to edit the files, they would have to register with Dropbox. Is that correct? did your clients use the viewing-only mode or were they willing to register?

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

file sharing applications

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »