Blackle - search engine that uses fewer pixels on the screen and so saves energy
Thread poster: Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 16:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2007

Have Prozers come across this site? www.blackle.com and a wide variety of foreign versions. It's a search engine but claims to use fewer pixels on the screen and so saves energy. Any comments?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-07 18:26]

[Edited at 2007-11-08 08:44]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Nice idea but too difficult to read Nov 7, 2007

My only objection is that white text on a black background is simply too difficult to read, especially for those like us who have to spend all day at the computer.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
I'd like to know Nov 8, 2007

how they can determine my monitor's power consumption reduction while I'm logged in and a part of the screen is black. In order to calculate the power reduction, they should have data on power consumed by my monitor while their screen is displayed compared to any other (more colourful) screen, for instance ProZ screen.

Do they go into my computer system parameters, in particular they look for and find the monitor type? And into computer systems of all other guests...

... See more
how they can determine my monitor's power consumption reduction while I'm logged in and a part of the screen is black. In order to calculate the power reduction, they should have data on power consumed by my monitor while their screen is displayed compared to any other (more colourful) screen, for instance ProZ screen.

Do they go into my computer system parameters, in particular they look for and find the monitor type? And into computer systems of all other guests...

If they don't, all the 'power saving' speak seems unreliable.

If they do, I may not like it.

Regards

AM
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
CRT and LCD Nov 8, 2007

The study is from the year 2002, when CRT monitors were still predominant. And the only reasonably available LCD monitors were 15".
The power consumption of LCD monitors is much lower than in CRT monitors overall.
I am aware that a white screen in a CRT monitor burns more energy because all the phosphors are "on".
I am not sure that a white pixel is any different from a black pixel in an LCD monitor in terms of power consumption.

@Andrzej - these are questions that
... See more
The study is from the year 2002, when CRT monitors were still predominant. And the only reasonably available LCD monitors were 15".
The power consumption of LCD monitors is much lower than in CRT monitors overall.
I am aware that a white screen in a CRT monitor burns more energy because all the phosphors are "on".
I am not sure that a white pixel is any different from a black pixel in an LCD monitor in terms of power consumption.

@Andrzej - these are questions that typical users won't think of asking, so the numbers are approximate, most likely.

How much time do you spend on the actual Google search page? You find what you need and go on straight to the web site.

How much time do we, translators spend in front of Word, which is predominantly white? The blue background option in Word makes my eyes water.

I think there are other, more constructive ways of saving energy. For me, Blackle is just a gimmick.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

holstein13
holstein13
English
It doesn't work on LCD monitors Nov 9, 2007

I was curious about this so I pulled out a Watt Meter and tested it. It turns out that Blackle used more power on and LCD monitor than did Google.

If you click the link you can see the video under "view video". In the meantime, I'd recommend using Google with an LCD monitor.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Exactly. Nov 9, 2007

PAS wrote:

For me, Blackle is just a gimmick.

Pawel Skalinski

I attempted to say this this not that straightforward.
BTW I have a 17" CRT monitor. Next week I'll check the difference between Blackle site and ProZ site in terms of power consumed by CRT.

AM

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Holstein13 Nov 12, 2007

Thank you so much for running that test - yours is the kind of definitive response I was after. SO, listen up everyone, not only is Blackle probably a gimmick, but a deceptive one, whether intentionally or not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blackle - search engine that uses fewer pixels on the screen and so saves energy

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »