话题中的页数:   < [1 2]
Can I certify my own translation(s) for formalities in the US?
论题张贴者: Pablo Mayen
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
巴西
Local time: 00:02
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
纪念
Try arguing with an "othority" May 1, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
Exactly - If you think about the manner in which millions (tens of millions? more? - well, a large number, anyway) of passports are used for their intended purpose every day without being accompanied by separate translations, the idea of translating a passport is a bit comical, really.

In Brazil, any document issued in a foreign language MUST be attached to its sworn translation, done in accordance to a Decree passed in 1943, for any official purpose whatsoever. Details at here if anyone is interested.

Nevertheless I often get requests to do a sworn translation (yes, I am licensed) of passports - only the ID data pages - when people need to submit them to our Federal Police to get a visa extension.

However UK passports for several years already have all fields there numbered, and the respective translations into some two dozen languages in the following pages. I advise prospects that the eleventh one is Portuguese, and that there is a mistranslation there, the word they used for "surname" ("apelido") actually means "nickname" in Brazil, and it should be "sobrenome" instead. Yet the Police doesn't care... they want a sworn translation.

If anyone demands to submit a British passport as-is under the allegation that it is already translated into Portuguese, the Police will probably tell them to hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit, so a judge will decree that the Federal Police must accept that British passport without a sworn translation. This lawsuit should take years, and cost a few hundred times the BRL 32.77 (under $20) such a translation would cost.

话题中的页数:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I certify my own translation(s) for formalities in the US?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »