Is the following translation legal?
Iniziatore argomento: dexoey
dexoey
dexoey
Local time: 03:21
Oct 8, 2012

Hello,

I have asked certified German translator to translate my job experience certification. She has translated it, but she has just signed it, and there is no stamp on my document, and she said that it´s legal, official and valid worldwide. Is it possible that a just signed translation by a certified translator be valid or needs necessarily a stamp?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:21
Da Olandese a Inglese
+ ...
Not enough Oct 9, 2012

A signature alone is not enough. I don't know the rules in your country but generally, if the translator is certified, she should have a stamp from the translators organization or authority (the court in some countries) that granted the certification (and usually an examination is required). If a translator is not certified, they can bypass that, in some countries at least, by swearing that this is a true translation of the original document before a lawyer, commissioner for oaths or similar per... See more
A signature alone is not enough. I don't know the rules in your country but generally, if the translator is certified, she should have a stamp from the translators organization or authority (the court in some countries) that granted the certification (and usually an examination is required). If a translator is not certified, they can bypass that, in some countries at least, by swearing that this is a true translation of the original document before a lawyer, commissioner for oaths or similar person who is officially authorized. The lawyer or commissioner will then put their stamp on it and both they and the translator sign.Collapse

Schtroumpf
Schtroumpf
Local time: 02:21
Da Tedesco a Francese
+ ...
No, it really depends Oct 9, 2012

First of all, I do not agree with Tina. I am a sworn translator in France sind 16 years and I don't know any legal obligation here to put a stamp on certified translations. Those famous "stamps" look great, but as long as anybody can go to any stamp boutique to create the stamp he wants, it does not prove much of the legal content. And there is no French authority delivering special certification stamps.

Well, this is what I can "certify" but for France only. You should really narro
... See more
First of all, I do not agree with Tina. I am a sworn translator in France sind 16 years and I don't know any legal obligation here to put a stamp on certified translations. Those famous "stamps" look great, but as long as anybody can go to any stamp boutique to create the stamp he wants, it does not prove much of the legal content. And there is no French authority delivering special certification stamps.

Well, this is what I can "certify" but for France only. You should really narrow the field of your question, dexoey, and give more details. Otherwise the answers will not be very interesting for your special case.

What I suggest is that you ask the authority or employer who required you to produce a certified translation. Normally, if the German lady can give you an Internet link proving that she is a sworn translator at such and such court, this should be enough.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germania
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
In Germany Oct 9, 2012

a certified translation needs to be stamped and signed by a sworn translator.

As Schtroumph already mentioned this might vary from country to country.

neilmac
neilmac
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Mere formality/inertia Oct 9, 2012

Schtroumpf wrote:

... I don't know any legal obligation here to put a stamp on certified translations. Those famous "stamps" look great, but as long as anybody can go to any stamp boutique to create the stamp he wants, it does not prove much of the legal content.

What I suggest is that you ask the authority or employer who required you to produce a certified translation.

In Spain, some clients will ask for a sworn translation "certified" with an official government-issued stamp, usually because it is a bureaucratic stipulation, for example in European funding application forms or similar transactions. Some will also mistakenly equate this stamp as a sort of guarantee of quality and veracity, although in fact the majority of sworn translators in Spain are native Spanish speakers who, in my experience, aren't exactly luminaries when translating into English. As a result, I have occasionally done "sworn" translations - at my normal rate - which my "certified translator" colleague then simply adds his stamp to before delivering it to the client and charging his own fee, which AFAIK is roughly 4 times my rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the following translation legal?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »