论题张贴者: María Toralla Chinchilla
María Toralla Chinchilla
María Toralla Chinchilla
危地马拉
Local time: 15:32
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
May 2

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek clarification on a matter related to the translation convention used for the abbreviation "/s/" in documents.
In documents written in Spanish, it is common practice to include "/s/" followed by the name of the signatory as an abbreviation for "suscrito" (subscribed) or "suscribo" (I subscribe), indicating that the individual has signed the document.

However, I have encountered instances where the appropriate translatio
... See more
I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek clarification on a matter related to the translation convention used for the abbreviation "/s/" in documents.
In documents written in Spanish, it is common practice to include "/s/" followed by the name of the signatory as an abbreviation for "suscrito" (subscribed) or "suscribo" (I subscribe), indicating that the individual has signed the document.

However, I have encountered instances where the appropriate translation for this convention into English is uncertain. Some possible translations include "subscribed," "sincerely," or "signed." However, it seems that there is no universally accepted standard for this translation, and practices may vary among translators and regions.

Therefore, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you about your approach to translating this convention into English. Do you typically translate "/s/" directly, or do you omit it altogether? If translated, what term do you use to convey its meaning accurately in English?

Your insights and experiences on this matter would be invaluable in helping to establish consistency and clarity in translation practices. Thank you in advance for your time and input.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
荷兰
Local time: 23:32
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Afrikaans南非语
+ ...
How would you have translated the full form? May 3

María Toralla Chinchilla wrote:
Therefore, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you about your approach to translating this convention into English. Do you typically translate "/s/" directly, or do you omit it altogether? If translated, what term do you use to convey its meaning accurately in English?

On a sworn-type document, you have to include everything on the translation. So, if /s/ isn't simply some code letter that can be retained as /s/ but has an actual meaning (e.g. subscribed), then you have to include it (and translate it, if you can). If the target language has a well-known abbreviation for something (e.g. "fax"), then you can use it, but otherwise, I would suggest translating the full form as a full word in the target language.

So, if the text had said "suscrito" instead of /s/, how would you have translated it? On the one hand you must translate literally in such a way that a back-translation would render the original document, but on the other hand you must translate the meaning of words in context. What would you have done if the text had said "suscrito"?

(I'm not a legal translator.)

[Edited at 2024-05-03 06:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "/s/" next to signatory in EN?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »