Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: Have You Ever Been Marginalized Because Of Your Occupational Status As A Translator?
Autor de la hebra: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Local time: 00:41
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
Elvis Jul 6, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:

Mervyn Henderson (X) wrote:

... consultant. Hopefully they'll be so wowed and cowed they won't ask you to elaborate.

What happened to Mervyn?

Mervyn has left the building.

P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
Miembro 2006
español al neerlandés
+ ...
I am confused Jul 6, 2021

What happened to Mervyn?

Mervyn has left the building.

For starters, let me give you my opinion on the above mentioned.

'Mervin has left the building'.
My heart is not bleeding, because I don't know how or why he left, but if it has anything to do with censorship, then it is an outrage. My parents grew me up in a free world, a world that was unknown in their youth (I am 62, late born, please do your maths), and still is in a lot of countries nowadays. I only hope the reason Mervin has left Proz is for a personal/other reason.

'Leave Tom alone'.
Yes I agree, leave Tom alone, leave everybody alone (are you listening Tom?). Anyway, I consider him as a valuable member of this community who is helping/has helped a lot of people, including me, with his insights/advices. Sorry Matthias, sometimes you can't chose your friends.

Now, what has happened to Chris? I checked the 'Totally frivolous' thread, and it seems he has been totally deleted! Can't find him anywhere, as if he never existed. Strange!

But most importantly, where is Sheila? Haven't heard from her for some time either. Hope she is on a wonderful holiday.

[Edited at 2021-07-06 22:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-06 22:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-06 23:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-07-07 10:18 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2010
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Sheila and Chris Jul 7, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Now, what has happened to Chris? I checked the 'Totally frivolous' thread, and it seems he has been totally deleted! Can't find him anywhere, as if he never existed. Strange!

But most importantly, where is Sheila? Haven't heard from her for some time either. Hope she is on a wonderful holliday.

Hi Robert, Chris pops up from time to time with his new alias, IceScream.

I was wondering the same about Sheila; Proz is unthinkable without her. She's one of this site's shining lights, and they can't afford to lose her either.

Robert Rietvelt
Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Rachel Waddington

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Local time: 00:41
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
Oscar Wilde Jul 7, 2021

“There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Miembro 2006
español al neerlandés
+ ...
@Persio Jul 7, 2021

Hi Robert, Chris pops up from time to time with his new alias, IceScream.

Hi Persio,
Thanks, didn't know that.

[Edited at 2021-07-07 20:42 GMT]

Felipe Scolari
Felipe Scolari  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 20:41
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Changing careers Jul 7, 2021

For quite some time I have. Since I left an engineering career over this one, sometimes I kinda felt discouraged when people asked me what I was doing sitting all day at home. I'm starting to break those chains, though.

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Inga Petkelyte

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
Estados Unidos
Local time: 18:41
griego al inglés
+ ...
One of the most risky occupations in the world Jul 7, 2021

If you have money and/or good looks and an attractive personality, you'll never be "marginalized" regardless of occupation.

However, there is an inherent HUGE risk in this job - self-marginalization. A very lonely occupation, which builds zero useful contacts and zero resume.
Not even useful/competitive references, considering the turnover of project managers or that the latter are usually completely unknown people in foreign countries. Not even positive reviews count,
... See more
If you have money and/or good looks and an attractive personality, you'll never be "marginalized" regardless of occupation.

However, there is an inherent HUGE risk in this job - self-marginalization. A very lonely occupation, which builds zero useful contacts and zero resume.
Not even useful/competitive references, considering the turnover of project managers or that the latter are usually completely unknown people in foreign countries. Not even positive reviews count, because they refer to limited projects/limited remote experience.

The vast proliferation of agencies is due to not only their huge profit margin, but also that they can suppress their costs by finding, without any effort, a limitless number of translators who know that they can't get another decent job in the market in lack of competitive resume, and it's getting worse for them every day they postpone their exit.

Translators can be self-marginalized by choice, socially but mostly professionally, and fully aware of it.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Inga Petkelyte
Kaspars Melkis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2010
inglés al italiano
+ ...
La vie en rose Jul 7, 2021

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

Great, I'm f***ed, then.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Robert Forstag
IrinaN

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Turquía
Local time: 02:41
Miembro
inglés al turco
Felipe Scolari! Jul 7, 2021

Felipe Scolari wrote:

For quite some time I have. Since I left an engineering career over this one, sometimes I kinda felt discouraged when people asked me what I was doing sitting all day at home. I'm starting to break those chains, though.

You should never have quit managing top level European clubs and earning millions! What's the allure of translation in a country ravaged by the worst economic crisis the world has ever seen?

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have You Ever Been Marginalized Because Of Your Occupational Status As A Translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »