Off topic: Have you ever been tempted...
Inițiatorul discuției: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
din ucraineană în engleză
+ ...
Aug 25, 2021

...to anonymously gift a 21st century scanner to a major client? Seriously, I just don't understand how in the hell some people manage to generate truly horrific quality scans on a regular basis in this day and age.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Jean Dimitriadis
Christopher Schröder
Abba Storgen (X)

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
What an ordeal Aug 26, 2021

From poor quality/mind-numbing MTPE to badly scanned PDFs (I hope not both at the same time), it seems you are often between Scylla and Charybdis. Entangled in some corporate bureaucratic leviathan…

You seem to draw them like a magnet.

What next? A heap of faded faxes just salvaged from oblivion?

If I were you, I'd definitely see a worrying trend…

[Edited at 2021-08-26 14:25 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
Stepan Konev

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlanda
Local time: 02:07
Membru (2003)
din finlandeză în germană
+ ...
Ask for a Studio Trados package Aug 26, 2021

Let the customer do the work and concentrate on translating. I accept only electronic editable sources or I scan the document myself with Finereader, if the customer agrees to do the final formatting.

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 01:07
din engleză în catalană
+ ...
I can't say that I have Aug 26, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

From poor quality/mind-numbing MPTE to badly scanned PDFs (I hope not both at the same time)

You know you're getting one of those tomorrow (weekend hours, yay) just because you said that, right?

Have a great weekend ^^'

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
It is a package Aug 26, 2021

Well, a MemoQ package

It's just often a very sh!tty package because bad scans > bad OCR > chaotic segmentation & gibberish

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Let the customer do the work and concentrate on translating. I accept only electronic editable sources or I scan the document myself with Finereader, if the customer agrees to do the final formatting.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 02:07
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
Sometimes it pays to do OCR yourself Aug 26, 2021

I wish I still had access to the kind of customers from whom I used to get orders after orders asking me to translate corporate documents of offshore companies based in the BVI, Belize, Cyprus, etc., you probably know the kind. Those documents were very similarly worded – and huge, up to 20k words (if my memory doesn't fail me). It was not easy to convert them into text, OCR didn't help much because the pdf quality was consistently poor. But after translating a couple of those articles and mem... See more
I wish I still had access to the kind of customers from whom I used to get orders after orders asking me to translate corporate documents of offshore companies based in the BVI, Belize, Cyprus, etc., you probably know the kind. Those documents were very similarly worded – and huge, up to 20k words (if my memory doesn't fail me). It was not easy to convert them into text, OCR didn't help much because the pdf quality was consistently poor. But after translating a couple of those articles and memoranda, I could deal with newcoming ones within an hour or two of net translation time using my TM. There was never any talk about the use of CAT tools. My rates back then were much lower than what I charge for freelance work today, but receiving a few days' pay for a few hours of work is a handsome deal anyway. I wonder if such orders are even available these daysCollapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Alas Aug 26, 2021

I don't typically work for clients who plagiarize other people's contracts via Ctrl-V + Ctrl-V and are small enough for me to influence their internal processes.

That said, bad scans don't just frustrate me... they also pay regular fat bonuses when they muck up their match discount system. My main customers do love to lock translators out of altering TM settings, but that doesn't prevent me from searching my exported documents folder and copypasting huge chunks of stuff from my own
... See more
I don't typically work for clients who plagiarize other people's contracts via Ctrl-V + Ctrl-V and are small enough for me to influence their internal processes.

That said, bad scans don't just frustrate me... they also pay regular fat bonuses when they muck up their match discount system. My main customers do love to lock translators out of altering TM settings, but that doesn't prevent me from searching my exported documents folder and copypasting huge chunks of stuff from my own records. Not my fault they suck at applying their own TM to their own jobs.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:07
Membru (2008)
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
There's one thing worse.... Aug 31, 2021

...than a bad scan and that is a bad scan of a fax of the scribbled handwriting of a medical doctor. Why does the medical profession still use faxes (often streaky and crooked) and why do so many doctors write in illegible handwriting. In some cases, asking them to clarify what they have written doesn't help, because they can't always read their own handwriting.

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
I think I've seen worse Aug 31, 2021

It appeared to be an old cell phone photo of a printout of a bad scan of a fax, with handwritten doctor's notes in it (of course)

Also, there's always the pre-supplied OCR that finds a bunch of letters that don't exist in the source language used.

John Fossey wrote:

...than a bad scan and that is a bad scan of a fax of the scribbled handwriting of a medical doctor. Why does the medical profession still use faxes (often streaky and crooked) and why do so many doctors write in illegible handwriting. In some cases, asking them to clarify what they have written doesn't help, because they can't always read their own handwriting.

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever been tempted...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »