Outlook putting *.txt attachments on everything!
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2004

Hi,

Please help. Most of my emails are coming in with *.txt attachments on them, just repeating the text of the actual email. Is there some setting to turn this off? I can't find it.

Thanks.
Sandra

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:51
English to French
+ ...
hint Feb 18, 2004

Don't want to scare you but it could be a virus. I had the same thing lately. I deleted those emails, ran Norton, opened outlook again and the problem was solved.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not a virus, methinks Feb 18, 2004

Hi Sandra,
I've seen the same phenomenon a few times; I don't think a virus or worm is involved, however.

This behaviour appears to be triggered by transmission problems where the IP headers are not sent properly. Apparently, it's sufficient for one message to have this problem to "convince" Outlook to attach a .txt repetition to each following message. I found that simply closing and restarting Outlook usually did the trick. A bit tedious, but so far this was only a temporary
... See more
Hi Sandra,
I've seen the same phenomenon a few times; I don't think a virus or worm is involved, however.

This behaviour appears to be triggered by transmission problems where the IP headers are not sent properly. Apparently, it's sufficient for one message to have this problem to "convince" Outlook to attach a .txt repetition to each following message. I found that simply closing and restarting Outlook usually did the trick. A bit tedious, but so far this was only a temporary problem.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
maybe your sender does not use Outlook Feb 18, 2004

I have noticed that I get these .txt attachments from some senders who happen to use an other software than Outlook (for instance Lotus Notes , Eudora or a Webmail service ). I use Outlook and I have never noticed them coming from another Outlook user.
Anyway it's just a guess .

Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:51
German to English
+ ...
strange Feb 19, 2004

This is strange because the same thing happened to all my Outlook emails yesterday!
Every single one of them had the message repeated as a text attachment.
So far, today seems "normal".
I do a virus update each morning, but it seems a bit of a coincidence that we have had the same problem when there are a lot of viruses/worms around at the moment.

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I fixed it, I thought.... Feb 19, 2004

Hi there.

Well, I thought I had figured out how to fix it. You go into Outlook > Tools > Options > Mail Format > Internet Format, and change the Outlook Rich Text Option to "Convert to Plain Text Format" and that seemed to take care of it.

For a day!

Today it's back to its old tricks. All my Kudoz questions that are emailed from Proz have an attachment on them... all my client emails... everything...!!

Help!
Sandra

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Incorrectly structured message? Feb 19, 2004

I agree with Ralf. This behaviour might be triggered by an incorrectly structured message, perhaps coming from a discussion forum or from the same sender. Try to find such message (the first showing the symptoms) and inform the sender.

As for kalimeh, maybe you and Sandra are subscribed to the same forum? But I'm just guessing...

I have found this problem reported by several other people, but nobody could really explain it. Rebooting the computer usually helped them.... See more
I agree with Ralf. This behaviour might be triggered by an incorrectly structured message, perhaps coming from a discussion forum or from the same sender. Try to find such message (the first showing the symptoms) and inform the sender.

As for kalimeh, maybe you and Sandra are subscribed to the same forum? But I'm just guessing...

I have found this problem reported by several other people, but nobody could really explain it. Rebooting the computer usually helped them.

My Outlook Express 6.0 sometimes behaves strangely too. It shows the clip icon for some messages, as if they contained an attachment, but there is none. The icon is visible only in the message list.
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Better to make a virus scan Feb 19, 2004

Hi Sandra,

There are some online scan :

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook putting *.txt attachments on everything!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »