Thread poster: Jasper Kok
Jasper Kok
Jasper Kok  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 30, 2011

Dear colleagues,

At this moment I'm working with WFC 5.92m and Office 2003 under Windows XP Pro on one machine, and Trados 6.5 (also in Office 2003 under Windows XP Pro) on another. I am about to do some computer maintenance and I'm thinking about getting a more recent Office edition.

Usually the present set-ups work fine, but sometimes I get texts produced in more recent editions of Woord with graphics that according to the client are recognised as text by Word 2007 bu
... See more
Dear colleagues,

At this moment I'm working with WFC 5.92m and Office 2003 under Windows XP Pro on one machine, and Trados 6.5 (also in Office 2003 under Windows XP Pro) on another. I am about to do some computer maintenance and I'm thinking about getting a more recent Office edition.

Usually the present set-ups work fine, but sometimes I get texts produced in more recent editions of Woord with graphics that according to the client are recognised as text by Word 2007 but not by my version. These were .doc files, by the way, not .docx files.
I know that some argue that the Word translation environment is obsolete, but as long as many clients expect bilingual Word files, I can't ignore the old style Trados or WFC completely as even Trados Studio 2011 is unable to create bilingual Word files from an unsegmented source file only.

Just before the introduction of Trados 2011 I got a licence to 2009, which includes 2007 and an upgrade to 2011, but I have not yet installed them.
I know that Office 2003 is the preferred edition with Trados, but if I decide to go to Office 2007 or 2010, which would be my best bet and does it work best in combination with Trados 2007 or with WFC (5.92m or a more recent version)?

Similar questions have been asked before, I know, but I could not find a best solution for my particular situation, so I hope somebody can help. I'll probably start using Studio or WFP in the not too distant future, but for now I'd rather stick with the Word environment.

Regards,

Jasper
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
WFC Oct 1, 2011

Am anti-Trados, so can't help you there, but I have managed to install WF Classic on both my XP machines no problem with Word 2003 and 2007, as well as on my new laptop, on which I've installed Windows 7 and Office 2010 without any hitches so far.
I've also installed a Virtual Machine with an XP OS on the same laptop, so I can have XP and W7 working at the same time and access my older material that is incompatible with W7, like Oxford Superlex dictionary and other SWs.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:59
French to English
+ ...
WFC 6 and Trados Studio 2009 with Word 2007 on Windows 2007 Oct 1, 2011

I've been using WFC 6 with Word 2007 since I had to get a new computer in June of this year. After initial teething problems to do with the different layout, I'm now delighted with both and find them much better. I also took the plunge and invested in Trados Studio 2009 earlier this year after repeated requests from two particular clients and it seems to work fine on my set-up too. I find I have to disable the Trados 2007 toolbars via the Word Add-ins menu whenever I start Word otherwise it does... See more
I've been using WFC 6 with Word 2007 since I had to get a new computer in June of this year. After initial teething problems to do with the different layout, I'm now delighted with both and find them much better. I also took the plunge and invested in Trados Studio 2009 earlier this year after repeated requests from two particular clients and it seems to work fine on my set-up too. I find I have to disable the Trados 2007 toolbars via the Word Add-ins menu whenever I start Word otherwise it doesn't recognise the Wordfast commands, but once I've done that, it's absolutely fine. As I've no intention of using Trados 2007 (although I did have to set up a user name on there to enable me to convert a Trados 2007 memory for use in Studio, for some reason), I could probably disable the toolbars permanently, but I haven't worked out how to do that yet! I've only done three small jobs in Studio so far, which were relatively straightforward, but I'm not in any rush to leave Wordfast, I must admit!

Best of luck,

Claire
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word versions and Trados 2007 and WFC

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »