Microsoft Office 2010
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:32
German to English
Oct 6, 2011

I have resisted upgarding from Office 2000 for a long time, and have been using Open Office to open .docx files.

It is not that I am unhappy with Office 2000 as it has worked fine for a long time. It is just that I am finding that Open Office does not always handle .docx extensions very well.

The problem with moving to Office 2010 is that I then will have to buy Office 2010 Proofing Tools as well, as no doubt my copy of Proofing Tools for Office 2000 will not work
... See more
I have resisted upgarding from Office 2000 for a long time, and have been using Open Office to open .docx files.

It is not that I am unhappy with Office 2000 as it has worked fine for a long time. It is just that I am finding that Open Office does not always handle .docx extensions very well.

The problem with moving to Office 2010 is that I then will have to buy Office 2010 Proofing Tools as well, as no doubt my copy of Proofing Tools for Office 2000 will not work with office 2010.

Does anyone know how much Proofing Tools 2010 costs? It is surprisingly hard to track down.
Collapse

Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Language Packs Oct 6, 2011

They are now called Language packs...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/language/

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:32
Dutch to English
German edition Oct 6, 2011

Looking at your language pair, if you buy the German edition you should get English proofing tools thrown in and then you'll be set! I deliberately bought an English language edition and paid EUR25.00 for the Dutch language pack.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:32
English to Thai
+ ...
My method Oct 7, 2011

Let's try my method, it may works.

I use proofing tool for Office 2003 with Office 2007 by installing as follows:

1. Install Office 2003: custom>Select only proofreading tool

2. Install Office 2007; Proofing 2003 work on 2007!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Can you 'upgrade'? Oct 7, 2011

I bought Office 2003 and when I looked into upgrading it transpired that there are no 'upgrades' to Office 2010 you have to pay for a full licence and only a cloud version is available. This seems crazy. Surely I've got this wrong?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Will it work with Office 2003? Oct 7, 2011

Andrew Stucken wrote:
The problem with moving to Office 2010 is that I then will have to buy Office 2010 Proofing Tools as well, as no doubt my copy of Proofing Tools for Office 2000 will not work with office 2010.

Will your proofing tools work with Office XP or Office 2003? Unless I'm mistaken, Office XP (or perhaps only from 2003 onwards) can open DOCX if you install the update from Microsoft.

My (non-Microsoft) spellchecker for Word 97 works fine on Word 2003, but I know that some of the proofing tools (by other companies) in my language did not work in Word 2007 and newer.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No docx patch for Word 2000? Oct 7, 2011

I tried to download a Microsoft patch which would open .docx extensions, but the download failed. I wonder whether this download is only available for Office XP or higher.

Meanwhile I note from the infiormation kindly suppleid above that instead of a generic Proofing Tools application it is necesasary to buy each Language pack individually.

As both a freelancer and an outsourceer I will need a lot of Langauge Packs - I guess I will have to buy each one separately?
... See more
I tried to download a Microsoft patch which would open .docx extensions, but the download failed. I wonder whether this download is only available for Office XP or higher.

Meanwhile I note from the infiormation kindly suppleid above that instead of a generic Proofing Tools application it is necesasary to buy each Language pack individually.

As both a freelancer and an outsourceer I will need a lot of Langauge Packs - I guess I will have to buy each one separately?

To confuse matters further, however, I see that the language pack for German, for example, contains Proofing Tools for English, French and Italian as wellIn that case, perhaps it will not work out any more expensive.

Is it possisble to buy a physical CD-ROM rather than downloading these packs?
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
My experience Oct 7, 2011

Just one piece of advice based on my experience: if you upgrade, go directly to Office 2010. I have worked with both and i.m.o. Office 2007 is just an in-between step, better than 2003 but not as good as 2010.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou Oct 8, 2011

Thankyou, Tina. I am in fact installing 2010.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Microsoft Office 2010 Oct 8, 2011

Not so far ago Microsoft had the file converter utility that allowed to read Microsoft last file formats (docx, pptx, etc) in any previous MS-Office versions, beginning with the Office 2000 version.

Now it seems that before to use such patch, you need to update the office applications as you may read at the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074 . Not sure, if this may be techni
... See more
Not so far ago Microsoft had the file converter utility that allowed to read Microsoft last file formats (docx, pptx, etc) in any previous MS-Office versions, beginning with the Office 2000 version.

Now it seems that before to use such patch, you need to update the office applications as you may read at the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074 . Not sure, if this may be technically necessary or may include an antipiracy system as like the KB971033 update for Windows 7, as until a few month ago any update was necessary.

Well, as you are installing Office 2010 just now this wil not be necessary anyway.

[Edited at 2011-10-08 17:21 GMT]
Collapse

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Pablo Oct 10, 2011

Thankyou for the link, Pablo.

As you say, I have bought Office 2010 anyway (or rather, been left with little choice but to, to be more ccurate).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office 2010

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »