BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:19
English to French
+ ...
Mar 17, 2013

Hello All

When translating directly in Word (most of our material has very few fuzzies), first thing I need to do is to reformat the Word file I am working on: set new document margins, set all paragraph settings to "no space after end of parag", set font to Arial 11pt, set language to French, etc...

When working on docs of a few thousand words, that's not a big issue. However, I now have to work on a series of short Word files, so implementing all these settings
... See more
Hello All

When translating directly in Word (most of our material has very few fuzzies), first thing I need to do is to reformat the Word file I am working on: set new document margins, set all paragraph settings to "no space after end of parag", set font to Arial 11pt, set language to French, etc...

When working on docs of a few thousand words, that's not a big issue. However, I now have to work on a series of short Word files, so implementing all these settings by hand becomes fiddly and there is surely a way to do all this in one shot.

I use Word for Mac 2011.

Yes, this is a bit lazy, I hear some justifiable "RT(F)M", but after a short foray in the Word .dotx template world, i thought could either spend an hour or two on it – or ask people who know!

Thanks for your time.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 12:19
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Styles Mar 17, 2013

I wouldn't know about Word 2011, but I assume it must offer at least the same features as earlier versions!

I'd create a style containing all the parameters I need, make sure I save that into my normal.dot, and then simply 'select all' [Ctrl A] and apply that style to your whole document.

Two operations to perform in each file...

[Edited at 2013-03-17 15:07 GMT]

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:19
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds great Mar 17, 2013

Wil try this one. Thanks, Tony!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to apply standard formatting to existing Word documents

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »