Thread poster: Bodil Little
Bodil Little
Bodil Little  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:32
English to Danish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2013

I am a bit desperate this morning. Had to do a proofreading of a document of rather poor quality and spent numerous hours on it. For some obscure reason, I have done something to cause all of my corrections to be gone - along with the words/sentences that were incorrect! How do I recover a previously saved version of all my corrections? I am looking for a document from around 8.50 this morning - word document 2003. I am hoping somebody can explain "an easy fix" for a non-technical person such as... See more
I am a bit desperate this morning. Had to do a proofreading of a document of rather poor quality and spent numerous hours on it. For some obscure reason, I have done something to cause all of my corrections to be gone - along with the words/sentences that were incorrect! How do I recover a previously saved version of all my corrections? I am looking for a document from around 8.50 this morning - word document 2003. I am hoping somebody can explain "an easy fix" for a non-technical person such as myself!
Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some ideas Apr 29, 2013

That is great, I'm a non-technical person too!

First of all, whatever you do, DON'T save anything else now (to the same disk drive); this will make possible file recovery easier!

Do you know WHY you've lost all your corrections? Were you using 'track changes'? If so, have you checked that you haven't simply inadvertently turned off the display of 'fianl' or 'final showing markup'?

A tip for the future, if you don't use it already, it's a good idea to enable
... See more
That is great, I'm a non-technical person too!

First of all, whatever you do, DON'T save anything else now (to the same disk drive); this will make possible file recovery easier!

Do you know WHY you've lost all your corrections? Were you using 'track changes'? If so, have you checked that you haven't simply inadvertently turned off the display of 'fianl' or 'final showing markup'?

A tip for the future, if you don't use it already, it's a good idea to enable automatic backup saving every X minutes in Word; but don't use this is you have computer speed issues, or you are using certain CAT tools.

So, assuming for some reason you really HAVE lost your work (and I somehow suspect you maybe haven't), then there are various file recovery utilities that you can download, install, and use — but that's getting a bit technical, and no doubt others will be able to advise you better than I as to exactly how to proceed.

The essential thing is to avoid any saving (to the same hard disk) as much as possible, to avoid the possibility of erasing some bits of your 'lost' file and thus making if difficult if not impossible to recover.

BTW, it might help to know which versions of Windows and Word you are using...?
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Additional ideas Apr 29, 2013

Tony M wrote:

So, assuming for some reason you really HAVE lost your work (and I somehow suspect you maybe haven't), then there are various file recovery utilities that you can download, install, and use — but that's getting a bit technical, and no doubt others will be able to advise you better than I as to exactly how to proceed.

These tools are intended for deleted files, but I think the actual scenario is different.

If you are lucky, you can recall previous versions of files using Windows' built-in features (Vista and later). Open the File Explorer, right-click on the file, choose Properties and look for a tab that is called "Previous versions" or the like.

Bodil Little
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tony Apr 29, 2013

Hi Tony,
You are right, I have been using track changes, and I was able to recover some of the corrections by displaying "final" - but I must have done something not very intelligent, because all of my corrections do not appear - just the incorrect original words, if you know what I mean?
If I could just gain access to my document from around 8.50 this morning.....

Bodil Little
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS Apr 29, 2013

I am using the old Word 2003!

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Also make sure you have "Insertions and Deletions" Apr 29, 2013

checked under "Show." On Word: Mac 2008 "Show" is right next to the box where you choose Final Showing Markup/Final, etc.

[Edited at 2013-04-29 10:35 GMT]

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:32
English to Slovak
+ ...
Not an expert but googled the following... Apr 29, 2013

"Option for hiding markup. In Word 2003, the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving option may be turned off. To turn on the option, click Options (Tools menu), and then, on the Security tab, select the Make hidden markup visible wh... See more
"Option for hiding markup. In Word 2003, the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving option may be turned off. To turn on the option, click Options (Tools menu), and then, on the Security tab, select the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving check box."

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/remove-tracked-changes-and-comments-from-a-document-HA001098388.aspx
Collapse

Bodil Little
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 29, 2013

Thank you very much all of you for all of your suggestions. All of them were great ideas, but I must have done something out of the ordinary, because they didn't work for me. I have now had to redo all the corrections. Luckily, I could see where in the document the errors were, just not my inserts, so it was not quite as bad as it could have been.
Thank you again!!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recovery of a previously saved word file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »