Trouble with Footnotes in Word
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2013

A client sent me a document to edit that contains footnotes at the end of each page. I need to insert some additional footnotes, but when I try to do this, they appear at the end of the entire document instead of at the end of each page. How can I get the new footnotes to appear at the end of each page like the client's?

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Version of Word? Sep 15, 2013

Hi,
I don't know which version of Word you have, but I work with Word 2010.
I have the Italian version, so I'm not sure of all the command names in English.
Anyway, you need to go to the References tab.
Then click "Insert footnote".
Then "footnote" (rather than "endnote").
From there, you can move between "bottom of page" or "end of document". Just choose "bottom of page" and that should do it!

HTH,
Catherine

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 01:17
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
IN Word2013 Sep 16, 2013

In this version, go to the third tab 'insert', then on the toolbar start going lateral to locate footer, then select suitable options like, first page only, odd pages, even pages etc.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 16, 2013

Thank you both for your help! I am using Word 2010, and Catherine's explanation worked perfectly. The mistake I was making was that I was inserting endnotes instead of footnotes. In fact, I did not even see the option for footnotes at first. I have just started using this version of Word and am still not familiar with the new menus.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with Footnotes in Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »