How to have Chinese+Vietnamese text?
Thread poster: Tri Tran
Tri Tran
Tri Tran
Local time: 19:14
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Oct 23, 2010

I just download OmegaT and now I am trying to use it in LINUX. I'd like to translate documents from Chinese to Vietnamese. However I do not know how the have Chinese and Vietnamese text displayed correctly.

For example, when I chose 'Times New Roman' as font, then the Vietnamese text is OK, but Chinese text isn't. If I chose 'PMingLiU', well, Vietnamese text is broken while Chinese text is displayed nice.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Experiment with different fonts Oct 23, 2010

Others are more expert and will probably chime in, but my suggestion is that you experiment with lots of different fonts, and you may hit upon one that works for both languages. You might try an Internet search for the two languages with "font" and see what comes up.

If you don't get the help you need here, register at the OmegaT list
... See more
Others are more expert and will probably chime in, but my suggestion is that you experiment with lots of different fonts, and you may hit upon one that works for both languages. You might try an Internet search for the two languages with "font" and see what comes up.

If you don't get the help you need here, register at the OmegaT list on Yahoo:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/

[Edited at 2010-10-23 11:30 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:14
German to English
+ ...
Code 2000 Oct 23, 2010

Code 2000 is a considerably cheaper alternative to Arial Unicode MS for a big font that can handle many different scripts.

Search for Chinese in the list here:

http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Vietnamese.html

Tri Tran
Tri Tran
Local time: 19:14
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 23, 2010

Great thanks... Arial Unicode saves all the pains! Since I moved to Linux, I forgot that font.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to have Chinese+Vietnamese text?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »