Rome Conference 2011, Simultaneous interpretation for non-interpreters: An approach to profit
Thread poster: cristina balletto
cristina balletto
cristina balletto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2011

Dear all,
I'not a simultaneous interpreter, but as a professional translator I find the idea of this seminar frankly offensive to our colleague interpreters

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Why? Feb 25, 2011

Ciao Cristina,

I am not a simultaneous interpreter either, but I can't understand why this could be offensive to someone.

I mean nobody is obliged to attend a special seminar. And perhaps there are translators thinking of the idea of starting a career as an interpreter. Or just some translators want to see how do interpreters work or how does this job look like. Or some professional interpreters want to see who is really interested in this job and what are their concer
... See more
Ciao Cristina,

I am not a simultaneous interpreter either, but I can't understand why this could be offensive to someone.

I mean nobody is obliged to attend a special seminar. And perhaps there are translators thinking of the idea of starting a career as an interpreter. Or just some translators want to see how do interpreters work or how does this job look like. Or some professional interpreters want to see who is really interested in this job and what are their concerns about... There are soooooooooo many reasons why such a seminar is worth being held...

Other people may think such a conference without a part of it devoted to interpretation is like a chair with only three legs instead of four.

Would it be offensive for a doctor to learn that there will be a speech about first aid in a medical conference?

I honestly can't follow this mind. Sorry.

See you,
Helena
Collapse

cristina balletto
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
simulataneous interpretation Feb 25, 2011

Hi,
to my ears it sounds more like : "we're living in a crisis period, why don't we move to a more well paid professional sector? Let's have a try. Education and training are optionals".
See you,
Cristina

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
session description Feb 25, 2011

Dear Cristina,
in order to clarify any misunderstanding, please note that the session description includes the following information:

Although the practice of simultaneous interpretation has always been seen as a unique skill, to be performed by unique individuals, many translators don’t know they’re also capable of profiting from this well paid activity. Furthermore, in many instances, revenue from simultaneous interpretation –considering the same time invested- accounts for three to five times money earned from text translation. This workshop will help you find if this is a skill you have.

Nowhere is it stated, either in this or in any other session description, that education and training are optionals

The over 20 sessions available during the conference (three tracks running in different lecture halls) approach a number of topics for translators and interpreters.
Technical, marketing, life-style, theory, workshops, etc.

For certain colleagues who are experts in specific fields some of these topics may seem redundant, for many others they will be an occasion to discover other aspects of our multi-faceted profession.

Listening to something new and taking an interest into an aspect one might have never considered before is the first step towards further education and training.

I hope this helps to clarify any misunderstanding,

ciao

Daniela

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I think Feb 25, 2011

Hi Cristina,

to me it seems like you really don't know what is interpreting all about. (Sorry, I don't mean being rude, I am just verifyng what yourself stated before).

Well if so, give it a try, listen what the speaker has to say about and then, I am sure, you will see, that interpreting is definetely not something you can shake out of your sleeves and that's it!

I think yourself are a good example for showing how important is to let to know, at least tra
... See more
Hi Cristina,

to me it seems like you really don't know what is interpreting all about. (Sorry, I don't mean being rude, I am just verifyng what yourself stated before).

Well if so, give it a try, listen what the speaker has to say about and then, I am sure, you will see, that interpreting is definetely not something you can shake out of your sleeves and that's it!

I think yourself are a good example for showing how important is to let to know, at least translators, that interpreting is not something you just know by speaking and translating two languages.
In my opinion, the way translators and interpreters work has only one thing in common: the languages. But technik, know-how and practices are so different as i.e. an attorney and an architect.

Well this all is only my personal opinion. And as I said before, I am not an interpreter either. Hristina may tell if I am right or not.
(In fact, last year I took some courses, at a nearby University on conference interpreting)

Ciao,
Helena
Collapse

cristina balletto
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
simultaneous interpretation Feb 25, 2011

Hi,
it's exactly because I know "what is interpeting all about" that the title of this workshop hurts me.
If you take a course, that's different, but it takes time and means hard work.
Bye,
Cristina

Elena Iarochenko
Elena Iarochenko
Italy
Italian to Russian
nothing offensive Feb 25, 2011

I also think that Cristina misunderstood the description of the seminar. It only offers to come and see if you are able (quick enough, for ex.) to do the simultaneous interpretation. Just a kind of testing: if I am OK I can think of investing time and money to attend some regular course of studies.
The description doesn't say that participants will become simultaneous interpreters at the end of the seminar.

Ethel Rizzi
Ethel Rizzi
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree with Cristina Mar 2, 2011

True, the description of this workshop doesn't say that participants will become simultaneous interpreters in one hour - for decency! - but in his website (www.translapro.com/Courses-for-Interpreters-Translators.php) the speaker offers exactly the same workshop (same contents) over 2 days saying "Recover your investment for this course in two days of work!"
I supp
... See more
True, the description of this workshop doesn't say that participants will become simultaneous interpreters in one hour - for decency! - but in his website (www.translapro.com/Courses-for-Interpreters-Translators.php) the speaker offers exactly the same workshop (same contents) over 2 days saying "Recover your investment for this course in two days of work!"
I suppose you interpret it as meaning "Recover your investment for this course in two days of work, but only after 4 years of adequate education".

I am a conference interpreter and having studied 4 years to become one, I am offended by the message conveyed by this workshop.
You might well disagree with me and try to defend it strenuously, but this won't change my mind.

Ethel
Collapse

Hristina Dojčinova
Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:35
English to Macedonian
+ ...
For Ethel and Cristina May 11, 2011

Hello dear ProZians,

I shall stick to what Ethel and Cristina said, while I could, to some extent, understand the position of the other participants in this discussion.

So dear fellow interpreters, I would be most honored if you sign up to attend my session at the Rome conference, which focuses on consecutive interpretatio
... See more
Hello dear ProZians,

I shall stick to what Ethel and Cristina said, while I could, to some extent, understand the position of the other participants in this discussion.

So dear fellow interpreters, I would be most honored if you sign up to attend my session at the Rome conference, which focuses on consecutive interpretation:

http://www.proz.com/conference/205?page=schedule&mode=details&session_id=5345

Looking forward to meeting you in person, and to fruitful discussions

Hristina
Collapse

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Simply sad... VERY sad May 11, 2011

I am no interpreter but I know some and I live in a town where there is one of the best schools for interpreters and translators in the country. I've seen some in action and I know how hard it is. We are talking about SIMULTANEOUS interpretation... not a joke... I guess even any John Doe watching TV can grasp it takes some skills...

I very well understand and agree with those who feel offended, worried etc. The clue is all in the title: "An approach to profit". It's not just a demo
... See more
I am no interpreter but I know some and I live in a town where there is one of the best schools for interpreters and translators in the country. I've seen some in action and I know how hard it is. We are talking about SIMULTANEOUS interpretation... not a joke... I guess even any John Doe watching TV can grasp it takes some skills...

I very well understand and agree with those who feel offended, worried etc. The clue is all in the title: "An approach to profit". It's not just a demo to see if you can consider a turning point in your career but it is explicitly advertised as some (presumably easy if it takes just so little time) way to earn some serious extra cash.

Anyone who has even remotely seriously studied languages, translation etc. (and some have studied some interpreting too) knows it is not something you do overnight. Yes, of course, sometimes we think we could do (a little) better than the poor chap we hear when we watch dubbed movies, hear an interpreter live or on TV etc. but of course we say so while eating pop corn on the couch...

Besides, if we chose to be translators instead of interpreters.. perhaps there is some reason, right?

How can these people seriously think that one can do such a job which involves controlling emotions, having social skills, a deep knowledge of the languages involved, being able to rearrange/engineer our written translation skills to adapt to translate verbally in a few seconds, correctly and to the point what may usually takes us more time... you all know what I am talking about so I won't go any deeper than that...

And then what? Go back to university for a few years? When you are 30 or 40? Spending money and losing it too since interpretation courses are very demanding and so you cannot work on your translation projects...

One thing is the occasional interpreting that you can do for friends or some unexpected situation or whatever... another one is a professional career - which is what you need to get some profit, to use their own words.

What serious company, agency, whatever would then hire you instead of a REAL professional interpreter? Maybe one that is on a budget... interpretation rates are not always that high as they make you wanna believe.... so... where is this REAL profit?

The saddest thing though is that ProZ is allowing such things... you wouldn't expect it from a professional network, would you? I feel REALLY disappointed.
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
feedback May 11, 2011

Dear Stefano,
I am confident that participant feedbacks, after the session has been held, will clarify any misunderstanding which may have arisen.
I also invite you and others who may have such concerns to read the session description and to take part in the Conference
Speakers who have volunteered to share their expertise with the ProZ.com community are colleagues (and for many of us also friends) who are enti
... See more
Dear Stefano,
I am confident that participant feedbacks, after the session has been held, will clarify any misunderstanding which may have arisen.
I also invite you and others who may have such concerns to read the session description and to take part in the Conference
Speakers who have volunteered to share their expertise with the ProZ.com community are colleagues (and for many of us also friends) who are entitled to the maximum respect.
Seats for the Rome Conference are still available, you are welcome to register and take part in a memorable event!
Ciao,
Daniela

edited for typo

[Edited at 2011-05-11 18:46 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested changes have not been made.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Rome Conference 2011, Simultaneous interpretation for non-interpreters: An approach to profit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »