Ljiljana Krstic
Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 15:07
English to Serbian
+ ...
HELENA I OWE YOU (and I don't mean money) May 8, 2007

[quote]Effie Emmanouilidou wrote:

Thank you Helena for being responsible for the collection of the money and the time you spent to find a suitable gift for the Ban family. I believe it was everyone's pleasure to contribute.
Maybe next time you will be able to keep something for that trip to Cuba!! ; 0))

Many kisses from me

Effie

Helena1962 wrote:

And something nobody commented up to now (or I did not see it yet) is the willingness to cooperate and contribute for a gift to the family Ban: Great! (By the way never before flew so much papermoney into my hands as in the last week -just a pity that it was not for me!) ;o)) ;o))

I'd also like to express my and Emilia's personal thanks to that big(hearted, loud, nicely-crazy Helena (and of course all the donators) for something very few people knew: when she on the last day of the conference learned we've been robbed of all our money, she collcted some money for us, too-although we didn't need it then -some other great people has helped us BE at the conference - but I appreciate the gesture
As a fellow-freelancer commented when I tried to refuse the money: take it, that's how she is
In today's world (and people) annihilated from itself I wish there were more people like Helena

Ljiljana Krstic
Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
FIREWORKS OF EXPERIENCES – PROZ.BROTHERHOOD May 8, 2007

First of all, I’d like again to thank again Csaba, Henry, Helene, Marguerite, Rosana, Sergeys and all the others who helped me and my colleague Emilia survive the first shock after being robbed of all the money we had with us on a train to Budapest –with your understanding, support and help we didn’t feel like victims but winners of one of the best professional and human experiences we’ve ever had; THANKS to almost all participants who made it a great time (as Steve put it) for everyone,... See more
First of all, I’d like again to thank again Csaba, Henry, Helene, Marguerite, Rosana, Sergeys and all the others who helped me and my colleague Emilia survive the first shock after being robbed of all the money we had with us on a train to Budapest –with your understanding, support and help we didn’t feel like victims but winners of one of the best professional and human experiences we’ve ever had; THANKS to almost all participants who made it a great time (as Steve put it) for everyone, as far as I could see.
Despite Csaba Ban’s protests, I’d like also to point out his and other organizers’ excellent organization and, most of all, readiness, cordiallity and PATIENCE in trying to solve ALL (no matter how trivial and personal) problems –before, during and after the conference; Csaba - we can’t praise the event without praising (I’d rather use the term appreciating) you and other organizers: THERE WOULDN’T BE THE EVENT WITHOUT ALL OF YOU, or, as Mr Dotterer keeps saying: it’s people who create the event (like all the prozians make proz.com possible)
And it certainly couldn’t have been so wonderful as it was: THE FIREWORKS OF EXPERIENCES. The only disadventage of such an event is too little time to experience everything on offer: presentations (the main reason of our coming), meeting other translators and outsourserers and exchanging professional experiences, sightseeing tours, powwows and afterwards Budapest night life… However, I managed to grasp a bit of it all in just 3 days: an excellent tour of a city (thanks to a young, but well informed and very enthusiastic guide), a couple of presentations where I maybe didn’t learn as much as I expected to but have certainly enjoyed and benefited from them.
Pow-wows were a proverbial cherry on those little pastry things at coffee time (Heidi, I’m a fellow magpie -nobody could have put it better): useful in Oktagon: meeting others in a very relaxed vibrant, and buzzing atmosphere; great on a cruise: excellent food – entertainment –breath-taking views of Budapest and the Danube River; we even managed to find great jazz club opened  afterwards; and a sad farewell-party in Platan
The main professional benefit (at least for me) is that we have founded the interpreters' group: I hope it will be as fruitful as its mother proz (Kyoko, we’re waiting for the link i.e. advance of this)
Also, the idea-proposal to have additional sessions on ‘cultural’ translating experiences (literary, arts, songs-and singing in my case) next time –an additional conference day
But the greatest value for me, and, as I can see from others’ comments, for everyone present was the enjoyment in each other’s company after we realized how similar (if not equal) we all computer- and deadlines-tied, lonely freelancers, and our lives, are – despite our age, experiences, and the fact that we come from so many diverse cultures

I didn’t before, but now I feel I am a member not of proz. COM but of PROZ.BROTHERHOOD

So, as Heidi in her usual masterful simple style said: THANK YOU PROZIANS !!!

PS: Vow, this turned out to be quite an essay – maybe you will not be patient enough to read it all, but I had to get it out of my still happy chest. Sergei, Agneshka: send those CDs with photoes -you’ll find my address on my profile/CV page)

Your friend
Ljiljana Krstic
www.proz.com/translator/24460
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I do not deserve such big words!!!! May 8, 2007

Hello Ljiljana!
Thank you very much for these words you use about me, but I honestly think they are much too big for me and do not deserve them. Many years ago, in San Francisco, I get robbed myself too and I could remeber how did I felt, as I knew nobody there...
At any case I'm still sorry that it was so few, and I wish I would have collected more...
However, by collecting money I was feeling like the Minister of Finances ...
See more
Hello Ljiljana!
Thank you very much for these words you use about me, but I honestly think they are much too big for me and do not deserve them. Many years ago, in San Francisco, I get robbed myself too and I could remeber how did I felt, as I knew nobody there...
At any case I'm still sorry that it was so few, and I wish I would have collected more...
However, by collecting money I was feeling like the Minister of Finances
And... I did not get to La Habana, as wished!
I hope it helped a little bit, however!
My best wishes,
Helena ("the shy one")
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 08:07
English to Russian
+ ...
I can only cry with envy... May 9, 2007

I had every step planned and booked, was looking forward to visiting Budapest and Vienna soooooooooooooooooo much! My cause for cancelling was very important - mom's surgery had been postponed by 1.5 months to 4/6 and I had to stay close for the 1st month after it. She is doing so well I don't dare to say I'm sorry for the change of plans but... Having been present in Oxford and local powwows in St. Petersburg I know what I missed... and I missed meeting so many friends, both virtual and some th... See more
I had every step planned and booked, was looking forward to visiting Budapest and Vienna soooooooooooooooooo much! My cause for cancelling was very important - mom's surgery had been postponed by 1.5 months to 4/6 and I had to stay close for the 1st month after it. She is doing so well I don't dare to say I'm sorry for the change of plans but... Having been present in Oxford and local powwows in St. Petersburg I know what I missed... and I missed meeting so many friends, both virtual and some that I've already met before. Cecilia (Parrot), I wanted to see you again so much. I think we had a great time in Madrid. I sure did...

My congratulations to all who made it and to the entire community for such great success. Hopefully, next time...

Irene

[Edited at 2007-05-09 05:30]
Collapse

MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
French to English
+ ...
Thanks to all May 10, 2007

I will repeat what others have said before, this was a GREAT event! Budapest was my 3rd Proz conference and certainly not the last...
I really enjoyed Budapest and as I had arrived on the Friday I was able to go on the walking tour (the blisters are still there) and felt I had really made the most of it.
Some of the sessions were very good (Web design in particular), others not quite what I was expecting but then other people had other views.
The most important for me is the mi
... See more
I will repeat what others have said before, this was a GREAT event! Budapest was my 3rd Proz conference and certainly not the last...
I really enjoyed Budapest and as I had arrived on the Friday I was able to go on the walking tour (the blisters are still there) and felt I had really made the most of it.
Some of the sessions were very good (Web design in particular), others not quite what I was expecting but then other people had other views.
The most important for me is the mingling with fellow professionals, meeting new friends and the energy I take back home with me.

So, a big thank you to Csaba et al for organising this, to Helena as well for taking care of the "present".

Look forward to seeing you all soon.
Muriel
Collapse

Elizabeth Hill Barsanti (X)
Elizabeth Hill Barsanti (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Training Sessions May 12, 2007

Hi Csaban, have you uploaded the training sessions from the Budapest conference? If so, how do I find the WordFast session? Thanks, Elizabeth Hill

CongressCenter
CongressCenter  Identity Verified
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Conference report May 14, 2007

The Budapest Conference was my first Proz conference and as such it has already set a high standard of how a conference should be organized, both in terms of shape and contents. The conference was a success indeed, to reiterate the view of many who have been more agile to submit their reports.

The conference met and exceeded my expectations. As far as the lectures were concerned, the selection offered was extensive and the fact that video materials will be provided definitely contri
... See more
The Budapest Conference was my first Proz conference and as such it has already set a high standard of how a conference should be organized, both in terms of shape and contents. The conference was a success indeed, to reiterate the view of many who have been more agile to submit their reports.

The conference met and exceeded my expectations. As far as the lectures were concerned, the selection offered was extensive and the fact that video materials will be provided definitely contributes to the feeling that I have not missed anything. Of those attended, I particularly enjoyed Quality Assurance-Agency's point of view, What Proz is and what it isn't, EU Institutions as the biggest translation services provider, Web design and web site usability and the MemoQ presentation to name but a few. As for the rest of the presentations, I could only comment after I have seen the video footage.

With regard to the social agenda, the program deserved the highest mark not only with the planned events, but also those which accidentally turned out to be the best part of experiencing Budapest. Those of you who went to the midnight walking tour with our superior guide, know exactly what I am talking about. I regret not going to one of the thermal spas – they are on top of my agenda for my next visit to Budapest.

Length-wise, perhaps the conference could have lasted another day with an official program. However, although I would have cherished the opportunity to socialize with fellow translators/interpreters a bit longer, it is quality not quantity that matters. During the three days, I embraced the possibility to network with translators and outsourcers alike, and I learned a great deal about maximizing the use of benefits which ProZ offers.

I would definitely attend future conferences. And not only that, I was even contemplating of undertaking the incredible task of organizing an event here in Macedonia. I hope that many of the Prozians would love to join in and learn about my small but beautiful country. Perhaps the great idea of gathering interpreters informally during the conference in Budapest motioned by Kyoko, could be the theme for a future interpreter’s conference.

Needless to say, special tribute should be given to the mastermind who has been far too modest in accepting the appraisals. Csaba, thank you for making the event outstanding and unforgettable.

It has been a pleasure meeting you all and I hope to see many of you at future events.

Here is a link to my photo contribution:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hdojcinova/BudapestConference

Greetings from Macedonia,
Hristina Dojcinova
Congress Service Center
www.kscnet.com
Collapse

Elizabeth Hill Barsanti (X)
Elizabeth Hill Barsanti (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Some (further) Reasons for Attending a Proz.com Conference May 15, 2007

As I sat in the hotel lobby and watched participants mingle, the buzz was remarkable. The pleasure on people’s faces, the enthusiasm with which they sought out and made new acquaintances, was, I perceived, extraordinary.

I pondered why, came up with what I think are some of the things that made the conference a special event (aside from Csaba’s really admirable organization); you may enjoy reading them, and perhaps adding to them.

I asked myself where else could I
... See more
As I sat in the hotel lobby and watched participants mingle, the buzz was remarkable. The pleasure on people’s faces, the enthusiasm with which they sought out and made new acquaintances, was, I perceived, extraordinary.

I pondered why, came up with what I think are some of the things that made the conference a special event (aside from Csaba’s really admirable organization); you may enjoy reading them, and perhaps adding to them.

I asked myself where else could I see so many people gathered from so many different walks of life who brought with them a strong interest and passion in common that they were hungry to share? People of a high educational level (otherwise they couldn’t practice this profession) with many and varied interests, who very often turned out to hail from different previous professions? The majority of whom do not buy into a corporate lifestyle and can live accordingly and dress however they like? Who are mostly self-employed? Prevalently female, but far from exclusively so? Who don’t report to one employer?

What I felt, in a nutshell, was that I was watching many free spirits, that I was priviledged to participate, and that that, by itself, was one excellent reason for attending a Proz.com conference.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Budapest conference 2007 - Feedback

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »