Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
영국
Local time: 07:04
회원(2006)
영어에서 폴란드어
+ ...
사이트 로컬라이저
Apr 17, 2008

Probably like many others users of Proz I frequently use http://www.proz.com/?sp=ksearch and I just had a small stroke of genius - I was searching for a translation of a term "governess cart " to be more exact and well... I did not find it.

But .... and here comes the idea - I realized that in a while I will find translation of this term anyway as I simply have to - and I thought that if you
... See more
Probably like many others users of Proz I frequently use http://www.proz.com/?sp=ksearch and I just had a small stroke of genius - I was searching for a translation of a term "governess cart " to be more exact and well... I did not find it.

But .... and here comes the idea - I realized that in a while I will find translation of this term anyway as I simply have to - and I thought that if you provided in case of unsuccessful search a very convenient way (one click - the same way as with "ask a question" - with the term itself, categories and languages already defined by the search) of entering the term once I find it than I would be happy to add it to the glossary. This way we could build the glossary much faster.

What do you think?

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
미국
Local time: 00:04
영어에서 스페인어
+ ...
추도문
Brilliant Idea Apr 17, 2008

Yes, that way we can add knowledge without ever having to be asked for it. Brilliant idea indeed, I support it.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
독일어에서 영어
I think it's a good idea too Apr 17, 2008

Supposing you find a term yourself that's more accurate or different in another context than the one provided in the KudoZ or personal glossaries, then you could just add this to the glossary yourself, instead of asking the question again.

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
독일
Local time: 08:04
영어에서 독일어
+ ...
Great Idea! Apr 17, 2008

Hi Stanislaw,

thanks! This would be a real improvement.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
영국
회원(2006)
영어에서 폴란드어
+ ...
주제 스타터
사이트 로컬라이저
It would be most useful when there is no such entry in the Proz's termbase Apr 17, 2008

Than once we find such a term in another source, we can easily enter it to the benefit of others

Best Regards
S

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 02:04
스페인어에서 영어
+ ...
Potential problem ... Apr 17, 2008

As I understand it, this proposal would allow any user (including casual site visitors) to make entries in the Glossary. One of the (few) saving graces of the current system is that it requires at least a modicum of peer contribution to get anything into the Glossary. That peer control (such as it is, and we all know it's less than perfect) would be absent in this 'short-cut' to glossary building.

The proposal might indeed help the Glossary to grow more rapidly. However I suspect
... See more
As I understand it, this proposal would allow any user (including casual site visitors) to make entries in the Glossary. One of the (few) saving graces of the current system is that it requires at least a modicum of peer contribution to get anything into the Glossary. That peer control (such as it is, and we all know it's less than perfect) would be absent in this 'short-cut' to glossary building.

The proposal might indeed help the Glossary to grow more rapidly. However I suspect that the main effect would be to increase the rate of entry of rubbish, rather than useful terminology.

At the end of the day, what the Glossary needs most is better quality, not mere content.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:04
사이트 설립자
Do personal glossaries not meet this purpose? Apr 17, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder: could ProZ.com's personal glossary functions not be used for this purpose?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
영국
회원(2006)
영어에서 폴란드어
+ ...
주제 스타터
사이트 로컬라이저
It's all about functionality Apr 17, 2008

Right now when someone unsuccessfully searches for a term using Proz.com Term search, if such term has not been entered so far and afterwards finds it using other sources (dictionary, google, etc...) it requires at least 8 clicks and choosing quite a few options (languages, field, etc...) to enter such a term even into ones own personal glossary.

While all of it could easily be simplified to just 2 click with all options being transferred from the search (languages, field, even the
... See more
Right now when someone unsuccessfully searches for a term using Proz.com Term search, if such term has not been entered so far and afterwards finds it using other sources (dictionary, google, etc...) it requires at least 8 clicks and choosing quite a few options (languages, field, etc...) to enter such a term even into ones own personal glossary.

While all of it could easily be simplified to just 2 click with all options being transferred from the search (languages, field, even the source term itself). All it would require would be another box next to:
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a professional translator (free): Ask a KudoZ question
another one
saying something like Did you find the right term somewhere else?" add it to your personal glossary (KOG) - I am not sure which option would be better.

This would work pretty much like "Ask a KudoZ question" option. It would be enough to enter the target term, maybe some reference source too and click for the second time to accept.

I suppose that it wouldn't require too much work from your development team especially that a simmilar solution is already implemented on Proz.com - the option Ask a KudoZ question.

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
영국
회원(2006)
영어에서 폴란드어
+ ...
주제 스타터
사이트 로컬라이저
One more thing Apr 17, 2008

When it comes to MediaMatrix's comment - I am sure that this option could be easily limited to registered users of Proz.com
Actually if we used this function as a more convenient way of entering data into ones own glossary than as people who are not registered don't have personal glossaries that would solve this problem.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

additional function in Term Search

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »